Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#295757 - 04/16/20 07:06 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Speaking of town A & B, I can see some use for outdoorsy or 'bushcrafty' items even after reaching town B. For example, I am planning to build another home in town B next year ( if corona allows us!!!)I will be alone (no family) in town B during the construction phase, which means I may be 'roughing it' time to time, like sleeping in the construction site and making a breakfast in the morning on a stove.

So, a few camping/bushcrafting items are not a bad idea even if you are a city guy, and the wilderness is not a regular part of your life.

#295760 - 04/17/20 02:10 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If one ever experiences a utility interruption that lasts more than a few hours or so,camping equipment will come in very handy on several occasions, I have hauled out sleeping bags, stoves, and lights and found them very useful....

#295785 - 04/19/20 07:18 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: hikermor]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Exactly.
And there are many cases where they would be useful and helpful

A few years back before retiring, a work colleague had a dinner at home and while prepparing food, suddenly gas supply stopped. He called a few friends who brought their camping stoves and managed to make a few nice dishes for the party.

#295793 - 04/20/20 02:37 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: hikermor]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If one ever experiences a utility interruption that lasts more than a few hours or so,camping equipment will come in very handy on several occasions, I have hauled out sleeping bags, stoves, and lights and found them very useful....

+1. half of my gear for prepping eventually gets used by my 2 boy scouts, lol

My wife used to think I was paranoid. Since 90% of my preps have come in useful, now he just rolls her eyes at me....

wink

#296083 - 05/13/20 06:41 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I think another way to approach a BOB is to have a shelf of gear to add if necessary.

#299702 - 08/10/21 07:50 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

An inconvenient acronym B.U.T. (bug out truck)

#299973 - 09/09/21 07:02 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I'm hoping some you tuber does a comparison between what they packed for an event (i.e. Hurricane) vs. what they really used.

#299978 - 09/10/21 03:33 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

I live very urban in the NY-NJ Metro Area. I have basically 3 different emergency kits.

One for my high rise apartment, assuming no electricity but availability of running water ( ususally not a problem since it’s a gravity system and gave us sufficient pressure to get water on the sseventh floor , with no pumps, even after Super Storm Sandy. If water is out for more than 3 days ,I need to relocate or get deliveries. I also need to refill my 8 , 5 gallon water cans. With some notice ,I can fill an oversized tub and get 40-50 gallons of water storage for cleaning and toilet flushing.

My second kits are in both my and my wife’s car. The goal is to be able to get in the car with 4 adults and no thought of needing to survive a calamity and if we get stuck in the car , we have enough food,water and equipment to survive for at least 72 hours. Not in great comfort , but we’ll make it in one piece, in any weather. Our cars , medium size SUVs with all wheel drive, We have a strap cutters in a visor pack, 4D cell, Maglites with drop-inLED bulbs, no leak batteries and window breaker end caps + xtra batteries, phone charging cables,each have a good tool kit ( SPAX tool, 21” Ti pry-bar, 24” bolt cutter, tow cable, reflective vest & triangles, chem lights and magnetic holders,jump cables, hack saw w. rod blades, emergency tire inflator sealant cans, and are also a camper.s loaded backpack, lifeboat rations, hard candies, and other survival items blankets, canned multi wick candles, small folding stove to hold the candles, , 10-12 25oz. water bottles, General Ecology hand pump water purifier, some cash, portable CB radios with battery packs, small inverters, etc..

My third kit is my EDC , city roaming kit, which underwent a complete redesign after 911. I wasn’t at the Towers, but I was close enough to watch the first tower fall, in vivid horrifying detail, with my unaided eyes.. So now if I’m in the City or nearin thereto ,I carry a small leather unisex leather backpack, ( coated in Snow-Seal ) about 8-9 liter capacity., 8-10 lb.s full, 2 Kyldex bag carry patches sewed to the bottom and waterproofed. Besides everyday meds (3x) , a waterproof pill bottle with Advil, ES Tylenol, caffeine pills, pseudoephedrine tabs , 8x 81mg. chewable children’s aspirin, Lomotil, generic Benadryl, a boo-boo kit ( which additionally includes splinter tweezers and dental repair/ cap glue kit), black tea bag( for oral bleeding or tea), 8-10 Wet Ones foil packets,, sewing kit, wax ear plugs, compressed towel disc, , flat plastic brush, hair gel in a waterproof pill box, disposable tooth brush waterproof pad ,space type pen, tissues, etc. a small plastic door wedge, I have an enhanced IFAK ( including Izzy type bandages , 2x TK-4 tourniquets, hemostatic gauze, nasal airway, chest seals , 8”x5” Combine Sterile Pad, 3” tight rolled vet wrap) and the knowledge to use it. XCaper Evac Mask and swim goggles, N-95 masks, nitrile gloves, extra liner socks, light Kevlar / leather gloves, sil-cloth poncho , yellow bandanna, Adventure Medical alumininzed blanket ( 2 person), e-light headlamp, + extra button batteries and 2AA flashlight with lithium batteries, Bic lighter and some hurricane matches + some tinder, small compass, extra eye-glasses, $500 in smallish bills, xtra credit card, photo of driver’s license , medical info, and a passport card, water purifier straw, water pur tabs ,and empty plastic liter water bags, fling plastic coffee filter holder and 4 paper filters ( small water bottle hung on plastic loop on outside of bag) , some M&Ms, hard candy and a 4 way sil-cock key. 10’ 2” flat rolled Gorilla Tape & 25’ 400’ test Kevlar cord. My IPhone has a Mophie battery case around it and survival apps. I also carry a LM Wave Tool, sometimes. I also maintain space for optional carry of an 8in Knipex wire cutter and an 12” Ti nail puller pry -bar. But that option is rarely utilized. There are many venues which will not allow even s small Swiss Army Knife. It’s a problem and requires some pre-planning. Basically airliner rules. This is in practice an E & E or Get Home bag, to get me out of a smoke filled subway tunnel , high-rise fire, patch-up me or mine, after a major trauma event , assist me in walking home and yet not look like I’m a traveling survivalist crazy when I walk into an nice restaurant or a Lincoln Center event.

Edited by Acropolis50 (09/10/21 04:52 PM)

#299982 - 09/10/21 12:22 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
That’s a good list Acropolis50.

#300001 - 09/12/21 08:22 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: chaosmagnet]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

Coming from you, Chaosmagnet, I consider that ‘high praise’ indeed. It has been a work in progress for many decades and seen different sizes and emphasizes. They say that armies always prepare for the last war and , as u can see, my preps 911/ accident centric: 1) Get me/ us out of here, that is the scene of the calamity ’( preferably in one piece,); 2) Fix me/ us up, from a first -aid standpoint, at least we’ll enough to get to or transported to hospital; and 3) Help me/us walk home in a long day’s walk or without overnight stay in a makeshift shelter ( a hallway, overpass, poncho lean-to, etc.). I hope I have planned well enough for the next ugly surprise!

It is not a hike out , iNCH or tactical bag. Where would I walk or even take a transport to an area that is appreciable less dense, in any reasonable time? I’m not into fantasy preps. . On 911 it was ‘ Shanks Mare ‘ , except for the NY Little Ship Flotilla, ( Google it. It is an amazing story and there is a great ~20min.video. Those spontaneous, unorganized volunteers and ferry operators, got more people off Manhattan Island ,in one day ,than the Brits got out of Dunkirk in a week.).It does not presume a Zombie apocalypse or societal breakdown.

The planned for calamity does not really include NBC threats except the nitrile gloves, N-95 mask, poncho(?) , goggles & Purell. More prep in this regard would require prohibitively heavy/ expensive equipment and would never allow me to get into many public venues that do searches, e.g. museums, etc.

It is also not a bag full of weapons and weapon related equipment. It’s NYC/ NJ. Cops everywhere in Mid-town and Downtown Manhattan and every entertainment venue. Crime isn’t really much of a concern where we live and recreate, if u use a modicum of street smarts ( now called “ situational awareness”) and both my wife and I are born and bread City Rats.

Pepper spray is legal , under some conditions and that could be used for aggressive 2 & 4 footed animals. But we can’t carry it into venues. Altho I’m in good shape for a near geezer, I need a cane to lean on if I’m going to be on my feet for several hours, due to spinal surgery and metal implants some years ago. I have a collection of sturdy hickory crook canes and some Blackthorn sticks from Shillelagh in Ireland. In my earlier life I participated in martial arts with my son , so use of a cane for such needs is not altogether foreign to me. And, as told to me by a police officer friend, just a strong grip ready grip on your sturdy stick, erect posture , eye contact ( but not staring) and a determined look, will, cause a majority of bad guys to choose an easier ‘ mark’. They’re not usually in looking for anyone who will fight back and just might hurt one of them. Life experience has proved his advice to be a truism, at least,since the end of the Crack epidemic, many years ago. It s true, Crack Kills ( it’s users).

I’d very much appreciate your comments and those of any of our colleagues, on equipment suggestions ,challenges to present equipment or needs, scenarios prepared for, etc.

PS: I just just tried , unsuccessfully, to add to my list an item I forgot, MY SONY ARM BAND, AM-FM, EAR BUD RADIO. ( 2AAA Lithium batteries remover and carried in a small zip-lol). ( Now out of production.But there are generic equivalents that work fine.). But there is not edit option now, on that post , to add the radio. Does the edit option iexpire?

Edited by Acropolis50 (09/12/21 07:12 PM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.