The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#296079 - 05/13/20 04:59 PM Folding Saw
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
We touched on the subject a bit while discussing hatchets and axes. I want to cover folding saws more than what we have so far.

I imagine every one of us here have heard the praises for the Sven-Saw. Some of you may have one.

http://www.svensaw.com/

I also heard good things about Silky Saws.

http://www.silkysaws.com/

I've heard about others, though not as much as the first two.

I don't know if one is better than another and, even if one is better, I imagine the decision rests on personal preference. For example, if you tend to lose wing nuts, the Sven-Saw would not be the right choice for you.

Putting aside personal preferences, which folding saw is better?

Jeanette Isabelle

#296080 - 05/13/20 05:33 PM Re: Folding Saw [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Think the best designed folding bow saw is the Agawa Canon. Nothing to lose as it's all connected. Also more of a rectangle design, so can cut thicker logs with more of the blade.

Triangular designs like the sven have an inherit limit.

https://agawacanyoninc.com/

#296081 - 05/13/20 06:12 PM Re: Folding Saw [Re: Ren]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I´d second that. The Agawa Canyon seems to accept regular blades. Many hardware stores may carry them. That is a big plus when you want to replace a broken blade or have blades for different purposes.
Triangular designs get in the way fairly quickly and they are awkward to use when you are used to make the cut with the whole blade length. The triangle tends to lift the blade out of the cut too. I do not like them for that reason.
I am a fan of bucksaws. They also are takedown and more traditional design.
When bulk and weight matter I have a Fiskars Xtract SW73. It works well. The drawback of this type of saw is that the blade is easily damaged if you do not cut with the draw only. The blade is proprietary.

#296087 - 05/13/20 11:57 PM Re: Folding Saw [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

I can't comment on the Sven saw, as the only two I have experience with is the Laplander and Silky pocket boy 130. I've been quite happy with the Silky though, it's noticably faster than the laplander.

Edited by Burncycle (05/14/20 12:03 AM)

#296090 - 05/14/20 01:19 AM Re: Folding Saw [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I am a big Silky fanboy. grin I have a Katanaboy, a Bigboy, a Gomboy and a Pocketboy. The Katanaboy stay in my vehicle (handy if a downed tree blocks the road as it will go through a 20" tree pretty easily and quickly. I always have the Bigboy in my pack. I do have a Fiskars bow saw but I hardly ever use as the Silky saws are vastly superior.

#296093 - 05/14/20 01:59 AM Re: Folding Saw [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
+1 on Silky. Just bear in mind that they cut on the pull stroke, not the push stroke. used properly with that in mind, they will not bend.

It is also very easy to carry a second blade and change if necessary.

#296095 - 05/14/20 08:59 AM Re: Folding Saw [Re: hikermor]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: hikermor
+1 on Silky. Just bear in mind that they cut on the pull stroke, not the push stroke. used properly with that in mind, they will not bend.

I´ve read that the blade an easily snap if you push too hard on the push stroke. I have a Silky Big Boy but haven´t had any use of it so far.

#296158 - 05/19/20 07:13 AM Re: Folding Saw [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Katanaboy is literally awe inspiring. It will do thing you would have expected to need a gas powered chainsaw to do.

#296165 - 05/19/20 04:44 PM Re: Folding Saw [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm always ingtrigued by the Silkys but the spendy price makes me wince. Someday maybe.

On the more economical side, I have a Bahco folding saw, the Laplander I think, that I am quite pleased with. The blade is thicker and stiffer, so unlikely to bend, and very sharp. The only glitch is the little plastic unlock button snapped off years ago, so I have to reach in with something to release the metal tab. A minor pain but even a twig would work.

I also found a bunch of Coghlans folding saw blades on clearance for $5 each. They're actually not bad. I'm going to fashion a short fixed handle and a blade cover from scap nylon for ultralight use.

#296171 - 05/19/20 11:01 PM Re: Folding Saw [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Bahco is more robust than the Silky, no doubt. IIRC it cuts on both the push and the pull, too. However the Silky cuts better and faster despite only cutting on the pull. Certainly there's a lot of flex in the blade of a Silky and you can give yourself a scare when the blade bends/flexes but so far I haven not seen one break. Probably it's easier to break a Silky than a Bahco especially when you get into the longer ones. All that said I gave away my Bahco after using the Silky saws for a few years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.