Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#296047 - 05/11/20 10:48 PM Re: What do you have in your bug out bag ax or hatchet [Re: EthanJames]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Wouldn't a folding saw be better for a bug out bag? KenK mentioned the Sven-Saw. I hear that it is a good option but not the only one. There are other good folding saws.

Jeanette Isabelle

#296048 - 05/11/20 11:14 PM Re: What do you have in your bug out bag ax or hatchet [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree with the folding saw for a BOB; I have a Bow Saw in the truck (there’s lots in the truck). For a BOB and the situation you may find yourself, a saw is safer, lighter and packs small. There are times an axe is a better tool, but for many tasks, a saw is better.

#296051 - 05/12/20 02:42 AM Re: What do you have in your bug out bag ax or hatchet [Re: EthanJames]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
neither... a folding pruning saw and a 14" Tramontina bolo machete

#296055 - 05/12/20 12:30 PM Re: What do you have in your bug out bag ax or hatchet [Re: EthanJames]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
A number of Boundary Waters Canoe Area paddlers pack this Irwin coarse cut saw for clearing Portage and camp areas, giving it great reviews. Somebody makes a sheath for it, but I don't have his contact info.

https://www.irwin.com/tools/handsaws/15-protouch-coarse-cut-saw

Irwin makes 15 and 20 inch versions.

Oddly, I once ordered the 20 inch coarse cut saw, but Amazon delivered the wrong model - Irwin's much more traditional hand saw. I returned it and never reordered the coarse cut saw.

#296056 - 05/12/20 01:25 PM Re: What do you have in your bug out bag ax or hatchet [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Wouldn't a folding saw be better for a bug out bag? KenK mentioned the Sven-Saw. I hear that it is a good option but not the only one. There are other good folding saws.

For most uses, I agree. I have a lightweight saw in the kit as well.

#296057 - 05/12/20 02:29 PM Re: What do you have in your bug out bag ax or hatchet [Re: EthanJames]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm always torn. I like axes and hatchets, use them, and own a whole range. They're the original multitool (hammer, cut, chop, dig, split, pull nails if it's a shingling hatchet).

In a difficult situation, I would be happier to have one handy (preferably one that can take outrageous abuse). But that's tempered by the injury risk. Even highly experienced users will tell you they've had a lot of close calls. A wound caused by a hatchet or axe, or flying debris, is not trivial. Fatigue and stress increase the risk.

The longer the handle, and the heavier the head, the less chance of injury. This is counter-intutitive, but it lets you set up a safer swing zone and guide the head accurately instead of forcing it. Light, short handled hatchets are the worst.

As noted by others, when on foot I can rarely justify the weight. I carry a saw.

Hope that helps.

Here are a few old threads to look at as well. Kind of cool to hear from members from way back.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=124226

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=121384&page=1

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=146074&page=1

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=173871

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=printthread&Board=1&main=10608&type=thread

#296059 - 05/12/20 03:25 PM Re: What do you have in your bug out bag ax or hatchet [Re: EthanJames]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Great stuff dougwalkabout!

#296061 - 05/12/20 04:14 PM Re: What do you have in your bug out bag ax or hatchet [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I learned to use hatchets and axes when my age had a single digit — that was a long time ago. If you are a novice and you only have an axe or hatchet because you think one should be in your “kit”, lose the axe/hatchet and lighten up the kit. Take that axe/hatchet and use it, practice and get a mindset of what can go wrong.

My brother was in the wrong place when an axe glanced off its target and (fortunately) the axe handle hit him in the shin. I understand it hurt like hell and the neighbor holding the axe couldn’t get him to the hospital fast enough, but no permanent damage. Safety zones and situational awareness are critical.

BTW, a sharp axe may take a bite rather than glance. Keep it sharp.

#296073 - 05/13/20 03:52 AM Re: What do you have in your bug out bag ax or hatchet [Re: Russ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Agree 100%. Well said.

#296076 - 05/13/20 12:37 PM Re: What do you have in your bug out bag ax or hatchet [Re: chaosmagnet]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Tyber
I prefer the Fiskars (also sold under the Gerber Brand) hatches and Axes. I would say go with a Hatchet if you are going to go with either. The advantage of the Fiskars is that all the weight is in the head and they travel well and as far as I can tell they are indestructible.

I agree that they are excellent. But I can tell you that Mrs. Magnet was able to destroy one. This was not a fault in design or manufacturing; I bought another one without hesitation and put it someplace I hope she can't find it.

Chaosmagnet there is always one overachiever in every crowd. Also why I said "as far as I can tell" because I NEW someone has probably broken one.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.