Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#296025 - 05/10/20 10:54 AM Batoning is stupid and I'll prove it.
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
It was always amusing to see Les Stroud not bring a sheath knife on Survivorman. Since the cult of the survival knife means asking 'what's the best knife?' is guaranteed to get a massive amount of replies. Oddly now he has a knife to sell (see the 'Les stroud reviews Doug and Bears kits thread', he now thinks one is essential :-)

But is it:

https://youtu.be/vJS1SepHop0

#296026 - 05/10/20 01:07 PM Re: Batoning is stupid and I'll prove it. [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I totally agree. Batoning is totally unnecessary. I have lit numerous wood fires over the years - for cooking, for warmth e- on one memorable occasion as a homing beacon for an incoming helicopter, and i have never felt the need to baton anything.

Most of the time i carried some sort or another of an SAK, but for the last thirty five years or so, it has been a multi-tool, either a Wave or Skeletool and they have served well. I do have some fixed blade knives which I carry from time to time.

I have always been able to find abundant dead wood which has served fine as fuel. Just break it up into length manually, and light your tinder. These days and for many years past, i have gone to some alternative stove - alcohol, white gas, propane, or canister as more efficient and safer.

If for some reason, you absolutely need to split logs lengthwise, carry an axe or pulaski and be done with it. Knives are for cutting.....

#296030 - 05/10/20 08:24 PM Re: Batoning is stupid and I'll prove it. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small

I too would not baton with such a small knife as in this video. That´s why they invemted the Skrama.

#296031 - 05/10/20 08:51 PM Re: Batoning is stupid and I'll prove it. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Wow! I'm surprised that moron didn't lose fingers the way he swung his knife into the block with one hand and the the hand wrapped around the block! shocked I hope this wasn't filmed by a member here, it was painful to watch.

#296032 - 05/10/20 08:53 PM Re: Batoning is stupid and I'll prove it. [Re: Herman30]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Herman30
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small

I too would not baton with such a small knife as in this video. That´s why they invemted the Skrama.

Yeah, the Skrama is a beast! I have the stainless version given to me by a friend. It's a great knife! I have the Jääkäripuukko, too. Remarkable knives the money.

#296033 - 05/10/20 09:17 PM Re: Batoning is stupid and I'll prove it. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
But it´s not a bad way to use a wedge. But in that case I would like to have a decent one made of metal.

#296037 - 05/11/20 03:04 AM Re: Batoning is stupid and I'll prove it. [Re: quick_joey_small]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I've always felt that people who use their knife as a hatchet, are probably the same people who use their knife as a screwdriver, are probably the same people who use their knife as a pry bar. That's not what it's made for. Get the proper tool. More efficient. Much safer.

#296038 - 05/11/20 06:34 AM Re: Batoning is stupid and I'll prove it. [Re: Herman30]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Herman30
But it´s not a bad way to use a wedge. But in that case I would like to have a decent one made of metal.

Add a handle to the metal wedge and you get a hatchet.
I would take a hatchet. It is the right tool for the job.
My knife is a Mora and I wouldn't use it for splitting wood
And let's remember, thinner branches that do not need much splitting.

Actually, one time I had a longer piece of dead wood, and didn't even bother to saw it in half.
I put it in the fire, and fire did the work of cutting it in half.

#296040 - 05/11/20 01:45 PM Re: Batoning is stupid and I'll prove it. [Re: quick_joey_small]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I carry a knife because I *LIKE* to carry a knife. Sometimes a couple of them.

But I can not defend the necessity of carrying a knife against the reality that I can do pretty much everything I need to with a set of EMT shears.

#296052 - 05/12/20 05:44 AM Re: Batoning is stupid and I'll prove it. [Re: quick_joey_small]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I have to wonder about a supposed “survival expert” who appears in a instructional video out in the snow, wearing blue jeans?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.