Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#295945 - 05/03/20 10:11 PM Re: GPS help! [Re: Phaedrus]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
That sounds like a modern higher end version of their Rhino unit, which was/is a gps combined with an frs radio.

#295947 - 05/04/20 12:25 AM Re: GPS help! [Re: KenK]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Yeah it is sort of like that but will include the sat com element with it. That way you have short range coms with your group but can reach out with the sat com to anywhere. I don't know if they will even build it but I was thinking it is an interesting trend.

I would like a device that was a GPS, 'smart' phone with a bunch of apps, short range radio, has wi-fi and can receive short wave and weather and sat coms too. Along with that please include a full blown computer ability, a TB or two of memory (don't forget the camera) and a fold up keyboard... oh yeah and keep it under $200.00 with a 10 day battery life at a pound in weight (think Star Trek Tri-Corder on steroids)

Hey, if I'm going to dream I may as well go big!

#295948 - 05/04/20 12:30 AM Re: GPS help! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yep, dream big or go home! grin

#295951 - 05/04/20 04:10 AM Re: GPS help! [Re: WesleyH]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: WesleyH
I can't say I have been greatly impressed with Garmin's GPS. They used to have a few competitors in the handheld GPS market, but today not so much. I know Lowrance dropped out of the handheld market several years back, and I've not seen anyone use a Magellan handheld in some time. Fewer manufacturers means less competition and my feeling is that Garman has slipped in the innovation department in the last 20 years.

These days Garmin's main competition in the handheld GPS area is from the iPhone and Android devices.

I've personally just about done a 180 on using iPhones for navigation. Initially, I thought no way, due to battery life limitations and the inability to change batteries in a phone, and the generally fragile nature and lack of waterproofness in smart phones. But nowadays it's easy to carry an external battery to recharge your phone. The latest iPhones have pretty good water resistance, and you can easily put them in a protective case.

Smart phone navigation apps (Gaia rocks!) are generally better than what I see on dedicated GPS devices. Some hard core Alaskan adventurers are relying on iPhone navigation for some very epic, very high consequence adventures. I still carry a Garmin 62s or InReach (along with printed map and a compass) for serious outings, but find I'm relying more and more on my iPhone for routine backcountry navigation.

#295952 - 05/04/20 06:26 AM Re: GPS help! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I suppose I'll try a two-pronged approach of getting a new dedicated GPS and attempting to learn Gaia a bit more. After all, two is one and one is none!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.