Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#29572 - 07/28/04 06:40 PM Anyone have a review of the new Leatherman?
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
OK, I think we all saw Doug's preliminary review of the new Letherman Charge models, and I know that a few people have them already. What do you think, and most imortantly, how is the new 154CM blade? I've never carried a leatherman on my belt, as the knife has always sucked, and I'd rather have a good knife on the belt

Why can't we get a REAL good multitool? You know, let's say SV30/SV60 for the blade, whatever steel Channellock uses in their long nose pliers for the pliers, a good carbon steel file (hello, Grobert?), screwdriver a/la Wiha, if there is an allen key, make it like holochrome - aka, NO compromise - yeah, it'd COST, but it would be WORTH it (then again, this comes from some one who carries a $500+ knife)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#29573 - 07/30/04 06:15 PM Re: Anyone have a review of the new Leatherman?
kevindick Offline
Stranger

I just received my Charge Ti on Tuesday. I also have a Wave, a SuperTool, and a PST. Now, I don't use multitools as part of my trade. However, I carry a Sebertech M2 in my pocket, so if I have to go to my bag for the Leatherman, it means the situation does require something with muscle.

The Charge is a nice evolution of the Wave concept. Everything is more refined. All the tools lock, with an easy-to-use spring-loaded release on the end of each handle. My informal testing of the tool lock strength was that it didn't show any weakness under a load that is greater than I would ever think about applying to a multitool in actual use. The action on everything feels somewhat better than the Wave, especially the scissors. The belt clip/lanyard ring system is ingenious. There's a slot at the top of one of the handles that uses the same locking mechanism as everything else so switching from belt-clip, to larnyard ring, to nothing is as easy as opening and closing any of the tools.

I have always been a fan of the bit concept. I was a little dismayed that Leatherman didn't go with standard 1/4-in insert bits. But now that I have one in my hand, I appreciate why they did. Added to the exterior blades, their locking mechanisms, and the locking mechanism of the tool blades, regular bits would have made the handles too thick. Of course, the flattened bit form factor they use to overcome this challenge means the larger bit sizes of Phillips, hex, and presumably Torx have to be chopped off on the sides. I think there will be slippage when applying a lot of torque with these bits, but I hesitated to apply that much torque to my test screws because I was afraid of breaking the part before the bit gave way. Remember, these are relatively small bit sizes used by relatively small screws typically used to fasten relatively weak components.

The main blade is somewhat taller making it easier to control. It came from the factory razor sharp. I haven't had the need to sharpen it, but my gentleman's knife is 154CM and it takes an edge well. Honestly, I think SV30 would be wasted on this blade. It's still just a multi-tool blade. Too small and flimsy for serious prolonged knife work. I'm going to whip out my RSK1 or my CRK Project I for that kind of task.

#29574 - 08/02/04 07:00 AM Re: Anyone have a review of the new Leatherman?
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
i can see spending $40 - 50 like one site sells the wave for but $100 for the Charge Ti is out of my price range for now.

but it looks great.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.