Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#295700 - 04/11/20 04:15 PM Re: Small Scalpel Blade Holder / Handle [Re: nursetim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks for that — totally different scalpel blade than the Ti folder CC markets — much finer tip.
Klarus S1 Folding Titanium Scalpel

#295701 - 04/11/20 06:33 PM Re: Small Scalpel Blade Holder / Handle [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

I would repeat KenK's question. In what circumstance would a scalpel blade be useful? I cannot recount an emergency first aide situation, back country or front, where something like this was used or desired...Splitting hairs???

#295702 - 04/11/20 09:28 PM Re: Small Scalpel Blade Holder / Handle [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
In an emergency situation you use the blade that’s available. I can envision a situation where a small blade with a very narrow tip would be nice to have — critical, no, just nice. I have lots of blade in varying sizes, but none with that fine a tip.

#295705 - 04/11/20 10:21 PM Re: Small Scalpel Blade Holder / Handle [Re: Craig_Thompson]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I’ve used small blades to remove splinters, including some that would have stopped our hike completely without removal, in the field. I’ve also had my doctor use a scalpel to help dig glass shards out of my foot, which is an experience I’d prefer to not repeat.

With that said, I’ve never carried a scalpel in the field and I’ve done well with the blades I’ve had on hand.

#295707 - 04/11/20 11:26 PM Re: Small Scalpel Blade Holder / Handle [Re: Craig_Thompson]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I was just curious. i have used small blades to cut away clothing (EMT shears are actually better) and I have removed splinters, scraping with a blade, all in first aid situations. Never seen a scalpel recommended in a FAK. I would leave those in the capable hands of physicians.

Come to think of it, i have been on accident scenes attended by docs, and they weren't using scalpels in the field, either.

If I need a knife on my next accident scene, the next time it will probably be the blade on my Skeletool CX which will do the scraping, slicing,or cutting.

#295708 - 04/12/20 09:38 PM Re: Small Scalpel Blade Holder / Handle [Re: Craig_Thompson]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I don't think we can end this small cutting tool thread without mentioning the SAK Classic, about as versatile, ounce for ounce, a cutting as there is.

Even a devoted Leatherman fan as I am, I carry a Classic on my key ring and use it often.I will admit it might be overwhelmed if I were tasked with skinning out an elephant.

#295709 - 04/12/20 09:50 PM Re: Small Scalpel Blade Holder / Handle [Re: Craig_Thompson]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
The best first aid use for scalpel blades is cut little x's over the wound to suck the poison out. We started using this technique for snake bites, but then we discovered it works for everything: gunshot wounds, heart attacks, appendicitis, thyroid cancer...just about everything...but not hemorrhoids. Don't ever try this with hemorrhoids.
Just sayin'.

#295711 - 04/12/20 11:13 PM Re: Small Scalpel Blade Holder / Handle [Re: nursemike]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I presented to a country doctor years ago with impacted hemorrhoids and he proned me out on his exam table and got right to work. I doubt that it was an oral exam. Whatever, it worked splendidly.

#295714 - 04/13/20 12:17 AM Re: Small Scalpel Blade Holder / Handle [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Have heard of scalpels in sterile first aid kits, along with set of hypodermic needles, and IV cannula but they are for going to 3rd world type of places.

Meant to hand over to local doctor to use on you, so can guarantee they are sterile.

#295719 - 04/13/20 11:01 AM Re: Small Scalpel Blade Holder / Handle [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
The primary task I was thinking about for a scalpel blade was removing splinters. Over the years I have had plenty of splinters that were long and deep and required cutting skin to remove them.

I have used pocket knife blades. Sometimes they were sufficiently sharp, sometimes not. Due to the shape & size the incision is larger than needed to remove the splinter. A sharp #11 scalpel blade is an efficient, effective splinter remover. It can make a deep but narrow incision to remove a long splinter, imposing minimum damage to surrounding skin. And a cut from a very sharp knife seems to heal quicker.

A new sharp utility knife blade can do a pretty good splinter extraction.

A needle can be useful but leaves a ragged wound.

Emergency trail-side appendectomies will be relegated to more skilled professionals than me.

My thought is to carry the scalpel blade in my hiking kit but also in my car FAK.

The SAK Classic is a good idea that I have considered. Not expensive. The blade could be re-profiled to a pointier point. And sharpen extra sharp. I wish the Classic had two sharp blades instead of one and a nail file.

Lots of good discussion here.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.