Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#295440 - 03/26/20 12:11 AM Anybody planting a garden?
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
True confession time: DW and I are compulsive gardeners. We do it for vastly superior food, aesthetic beauty, and to create wildlife habitat. I grew up with it; it's as natural to me as the change of the seasons.

We're in Zone 3b. That means there are still snowbanks, and the frost line is approximately six feet deep. But we're already making plans, and working in various corners of the yard in preparation. I guess prairie gardeners are a tenacious lot.

So, anybody else planting a garden? Perhaps for the first time? Container gardening? Putting in a little extra as a hedge against the difficulties of 2020?

#295444 - 03/26/20 12:58 PM Re: Anybody planting a garden? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just getting started. our mainstay is an avocado tree, with supplemental veggies, which taste delicious freshly picked. Will expand our efforts.

#295445 - 03/26/20 01:58 PM Re: Anybody planting a garden? [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Mrs. Magnet is a decent gardener.

Me on the other hand, I once killed a plastic fern.

#295590 - 04/03/20 09:51 PM Re: Anybody planting a garden? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I'm hearing reports that seed companies (especially specialty, heirloom producers) are swamped with seed orders.

I assume this is because of the economic downturn. The same thing happened in 2008.

If there's something specific you want to plant, it may be prudent to grab seeds sooner rather than later.

#295593 - 04/03/20 11:16 PM Re: Anybody planting a garden? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I'm helping Mom plant Boston ferns.

Jeanette Isabelle

#295594 - 04/03/20 11:23 PM Re: Anybody planting a garden? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Fortunately the avocado and orange tree were planted some years ago. couple of tomato plants are producing. Our broccoli just finished and we will renew that crop - I never knew broc could taste that good

#295595 - 04/04/20 12:43 AM Re: Anybody planting a garden? [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I'm envious! Right now I'll I'm growing is snowbanks and a pandemic goatee. But all in good time!

#295598 - 04/04/20 02:08 AM Re: Anybody planting a garden? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Looking forward to your wheat...

#295623 - 04/05/20 07:19 PM Re: Anybody planting a garden? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I'm hearing reports that seed companies (especially specialty, heirloom producers) are swamped with seed orders.

I assume this is because of the economic downturn. The same thing happened in 2008.

If there's something specific you want to plant, it may be prudent to grab seeds sooner rather than later.

Had to make an visit to the local hardware store today for some emergency plumbing parts. While there, I cruised by the seed collection and for this time of year, it was slim pickings. Still managed to grab a few more packs of beans, peas, zucchini, radishes and carrots. Talked briefly (from a distance) with a knowledgeable employee and they are not expecting any more seeds in for months, if not all for this year. Luckily I had stocked up on a lot of seeds in late Feb and so the seeds purchased today are just a bonus.

John Lubbock

#295625 - 04/05/20 09:49 PM Re: Anybody planting a garden? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

McKenzie Seeds, an excellent seed company out of Brandon Man., reports that their turnaround time is now 5-7 days for online orders, due to volume. It used to be same-day. They still have lots of stock though.

As I write this, I see fresh snow coming down and snowbanks over my garden. But we already have a list of additional seeds we need, and this will be filled in the next few days. When the weather turns warm, everybody will have the same idea.

It looks like local greenhouses will offer a curbside pickup program. This is good: we prefer to buy tomato plants that are 4' tall and already bearing green fruit, because our frost-free season is so short.

In addition to our own garden, our close family will be substantially expanding the garden capacity on an undeveloped property we have access to. Seed has already been purchased. If the downturn drags out, this will be for our use. More likely, the surplus will support extended family and the local food bank, which in the last two weeks saw its demand quadruple. People who were hanging by a thread are in freefall now.

Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.