The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#295385 - 03/23/20 03:45 AM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: haertig]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: haertig

p.p.s.s. - (is "p.p.s.s." even a real thing?) The FT-60R at Amazon shows as $189 with $7.60 shipping when I look it up. It is $149 with free shipping if bought directly from HRO. It appears that the Amazon seller is HRO, and I don't know why it costs so much more to buy it through Amazon than direct from them.

Because they have to pay Amazon and instead of absorbing as a cost of business, it's passed along to the amazon customer. Not unlike having to pay more if you use a credit card instead of cash. I have found numerous instances where it is cheaper to go direct to a company's website rather than bu through Amazon.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#295388 - 03/23/20 02:42 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm a big fan of the Signal Stick. I'm standardizing on it for HTs.

The Baofengs' biggest advantages are that they're almost disposable in price. Most of my friends have one or two. I don't have an FT-60R -- my one Yaesu HT is the FT-3DR that I got a couple weeks ago and I haven't had much opportunity to use it yet.

#295389 - 03/23/20 04:23 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

Note that in the past, the Baofengs have been reported as failing FCC spurious emission tests.

If your philosophy is, "Get the best tools you can afford," then you might want to choose a different brand.

If your philosophy is, "A tool of questionable quality is still better than nothing," then a $20 handheld might have a place in your collection - especially if it is a collection and not the only one.

I remember a long time ago when I rode a motorcycle, there was an ad that had the headline, "If you have a 10 dollar head, wear a 10 dollar helmet." Well that convinced me. I got a Bell helmet

On the other hand, I've bought plenty of tools of "single-use" quality. Although at least a 75 cent screwdriver can be promoted to the job of paint-stirrer after it's all chewed up!

#295391 - 03/23/20 04:51 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I got a desktop and a laptop. Both on Win7

The desktop is not hooked to internet. I use it mostly with Word and Excel filesm plus seeing some movies. Laptop is connceted to internet and I use it for visiting ETS and such .

Do you think my e-stuff is doomed ???

A month a go, the laptop harddisk was replaced and the tech guy told me the Win10 cannot be installed on the laptop. Too old.

So, are my computers going to survive or die ???

Thanks

#295392 - 03/23/20 05:19 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: Chisel]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Chisel

You may be surprised just how much life your laptop has left if you install a lightweight Linux distro on it. For use with Windows, yeah, it is probably long dead. What is the Windows minimum hardware for installation now? Something like a 512 core, 800 bazigahertz CPU and 256 petabytes of RAM?

#295393 - 03/23/20 05:24 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: Chisel]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada

There's still plenty of useful life in them IMO.

A Windows 7 machine will keep running fine for as long as the hardware holds out. But it must never connect to the Internet.

What are the specs for your laptop? There's almost certainly a version of Linux that would work. Linix is a free, open-source operating system that replaces the Win7 operating system. All versions come with basic software like a web browser, file manager, office suite, etc. etc. But here's the kicker: you need to convince a friend to download it for you and burn it to a DVD.

Edit: Before you install, take Chaos's advice and double back up any files you want to keep. And when installing, it's best to connect to your router with a cable. Otherwise, the wifi drivers seem to be a little bit unstable; I don't know why.

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/23/20 05:42 PM)

#295395 - 03/23/20 05:53 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: dougwalkabout]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
And when installing, it's best to connect to your router with a cable. Otherwise, the wifi drivers seem to be a little bit unstable; I don't know why.

It's always best to use a cable over WiFi for any installation. Personally, I have installed Linux many dozens of times on many different computers, and never once had a WiFi issue. Generally you find missing driver issues for the latest, greatest pieces of hardware. Once you're installing Linux on an "older computer", you just don't see problems. At least that's been my experience. I have had more issues trying to install Windows than trying to install Linux.

Most Linux distros can run off of a CD or thumbdrive. Then after you've tested like that to see that everything works, you can tell it to install on your hard drive. Do not judge the speed of Linux based on running it off of a CD or thumbdrive however. Those are way slower than a hard drive. And ridiculously slower than an SSD. A lot of Linux distros can be booted off of a CD/thumbdrive and instructed to install totally into RAM (you need to have a lot of RAM to do this). In that case, Linux runs like a scalded ape! Of course, if you power down the computer, everything in RAM disappears, so running 100% from RAM is really mostly for testing or specialized applications.

Edited by haertig (03/23/20 05:58 PM)

#295396 - 03/23/20 06:08 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: Michael2]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Michael2
If your philosophy is, "A tool of questionable quality is still better than nothing," then a $20 handheld might have a place in your collection - especially if it is a collection and not the only one.

I have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to ham radio HTs. About half are Baofengs. After testing I put them in car kits and other places where if they get lost or suffer from rough handling I won't lose my mind.

#295397 - 03/23/20 06:09 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
It's always best to use a cable over WiFi for any installation.

Some PCs don't do well if both the wifi and the wired connection are connected; it's best to turn your wifi off when connected via a wired network.

#295398 - 03/23/20 06:11 PM Re: Helping our ETS Community [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

I got a desktop and a laptop. Both on Win7

The desktop is not hooked to internet. I use it mostly with Word and Excel filesm plus seeing some movies. Laptop is connceted to internet and I use it for visiting ETS and such .

Do you think my e-stuff is doomed ???

I would be very concerned about any Internet-connected Win7 device being compromised and your data stolen, if not also having your bank account(s) drained and your identity stolen. The other machine, if you never connect it to any network and never move files between it and other machines, will be fine.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.