Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#294583 - 01/16/20 05:29 PM Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks.
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Been seeing more army-ish gear out there -- and picked up a 50l tactical backpack. ( review to follow)
What are your thoughts on these Molle infused packs?

#294584 - 01/16/20 05:54 PM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In other than combat use, an area in which I have no direct experience, the molle webbing is just unnecessary weight and clutter.

Doing SAR. carrying weights of 45 or so pounds, I preferred a pack with a sleek rounded profile, the better to penetrate brush and steep terrain. 50 L is a bit less capacity than I prefer, but that is more than many "tactical" packs can hold.

Civilian packs (Osprey, Deuter , Gregory, Mountainsmith, REi) come in varying sizes with adjustability options which give a more custom fit, key to the pack carrying well.

Tactical packs come in black or some other dull camo-like color. This makes good sense on the battlefield, but is a detriment in civilian life. i much prefer a brighter color. The color of the ppack I am now using is "molten red."

IMHO, tactical packs are overpriced mall ninja bait. I do have a Maxpedition Vulture 2 which suffered a seam failure after very light use. It was easily repaired but it has been at least thirty years since I have seen anything like that in a decent civilian pack, most of which saw fairly severe use.

#294586 - 01/16/20 08:24 PM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Molle can be useful to me for things like attaching pouches. I don't want molle on my socks, but a little bit on a backpack can be helpful.

With that said, I've stopped using my Goruck GR1 (with a reasonable amount of molle) and been carrying an Alpha One Niner Evade 1.5, which has no molle.

#294588 - 01/16/20 08:48 PM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Molle packs are great. Lets me add pouches as I want. Or attach a jacket or someting like that with pack straps. And they are not in bright colours, I hate bright colours.

#294589 - 01/16/20 09:29 PM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I really like having PALS webbing on my packs. It really doesn't add that much weight (although the kind of pack that would have a lot of webbing is likely a heavier, more robustly built pack to begins with). I don't like a lot of crap MOLLE'd to the outside but I really like to have a pouch for a multi-too, a fixed blade knife (either a Mora or an ESEE Izula II, usually) and a Thyrm CellVault on the outside of my pack. This is really key to me; those are items I don't want to have to dig for when I need them. No matter the pack those things are always on the outside and always in the same general location. That's really convenient for the way I hike, camp and pack stuff.

#294590 - 01/16/20 11:49 PM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I like the colors, but most of them are made of fabric too noisy for hunting.

Had a friend buy a new multi day Lowe pack. He cut off all the extra webbing he didn't need- second set of crampon straps and ice ax loops, extra webbing for tying on pads and tents etc. The pack went from 6 pounds empty to 4 1/2 pounds. And he still could strap on snow climbing gear on the outside. Tactical pack have even more web.

All the extra webbing looks to be on the back of the packs and if loaded with heavy gear would seem unbalanced. A down coat or foam pad, or Phaedrus' small items okay, but carrying several days of food, a water bladder or a rope in some sort of large strap on pocket, not ok.

#294591 - 01/17/20 01:50 AM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, if you start hanging a ton of crap off the pack it starts getting heavy and unwieldy. Plus it defeats the suspension/load carriage abilities of the pack.

#294592 - 01/17/20 02:58 AM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My current pack has eight zippered compartments plus a space for a hydration bladder, all with no molle or pals to clutter up the pack ,andadd weight.

Packs today are significantly better than those of past years, either civilian or mil surp - tougher, better designed, and better fitting.

#294593 - 01/17/20 08:05 AM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Things attacked on the outside throws the balance off. Keep it in the bag, distributed properly. Pouches are also a heavy way to add storage, far more fabric then just a slightly bigger pack.

Choose a proper size pack for a job and try to keep things as small and light, for comfort / less energy use.

#294599 - 01/17/20 09:09 PM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: hikermor]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
IMHO, tactical packs are overpriced mall ninja bait.

I tend to agree - they look cool, but fail as a well built, useful pack.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.