The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#295120 - 03/11/20 02:14 PM Requesting Recommendations
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I need a recommendation for a website for realistic planning of events such as a nuclear attack or a total collapse of the dollar.

I don't want any that indulge in TEOTW fantasies or put emphasis on armed conflicts with the unprepared. As Hikermor said, "Laying in a large armory and the required ammo is a massive misuse of resources better devoted to other items."

Jeanette Isabelle

#295122 - 03/11/20 03:09 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
I don´t see how preparing for nuclear attack or dollar crash differ from preparing for a storm, electric black out or earth quake.

Well, all out nuclear attack one may not want to survive. Since the world has returned to the stone age after such an event.

Edited by Herman30 (03/11/20 03:10 PM)

#295123 - 03/11/20 04:39 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Herman30
I don´t see how preparing for nuclear attack or dollar crash differ from preparing for a storm, electric black out or earth quake.

Preparing for a nuclear attack or the dollar collapsing is different because they are long term, resulting in adapting to a new lifestyle.

Jeanette Isabelle

#295124 - 03/11/20 06:42 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
What exactly is the definition of TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It)?

The "This is not a survivalist web site" link in the forum rules is dead.

It seems your two topics are getting pretty close.

#295125 - 03/11/20 07:13 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Well - to the first point - this is NOT that site.

Second, being "well prepared" can and does mean a lot of different things to different people. To get an appreciation for some of that type of idea (beyond this site and the goals it has) check out the long running survivalblog.com. There are years worth of material there to make you think and could help with this sort of planning. Then... check around and see where that leads you on the wide open intertubes.

So, with that - back to our usual programing!

Ok - all kidding aside, the idea for us here and for the establishment of this site has been best said on the web page:

Equipped To Survive® is the most comprehensive online resource for independent reviews of survival equipment and outdoors gear, as well as survival and Search and Rescue information. Equipped To Survive® will help you determine the best choices to prepare for anything from a hike in the park to a life threatening emergency or disaster. Please note that this is not a "survivalist" site. The Equipped To Survive™ Web site is supported by the non-profit 501(c)(3) Equipped To Survive Foundation and edited by noted survival authority, Douglas S. Ritter.

Good luck!

#295126 - 03/11/20 07:54 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: KenK]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KenK
What exactly is the definition of TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It)?

I can't give you an official definition. I define it as "The world as you knew it is gone. Adapt to a new lifestyle."

It seems your two topics are getting pretty close.

Chaos Magnet deleted that thread and reminded me that I could not create such topics. I asked him if I can make this topic asking for recommendations. He said yes.

Jeanette Isabelle

#295127 - 03/11/20 08:50 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: KenK]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The "This is not a survivalist web site" link in the forum rules is dead.

It most certainly is not.

Jeanette asked for and received permission to start this topic, as this is (as has been stated) not the right site for that kind of conversation.

chaosmagnet

Edited by chaosmagnet (03/11/20 08:50 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#295128 - 03/11/20 08:56 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Moving forward, please do not contribute any commentary to this thread unless you are discussing other sites that may suit Jeanette's needs, clarifying those needs, or responding in a useful manner to those recommendations.

chaosmagnet

#295130 - 03/12/20 01:12 AM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
ZombieHunters is a good forum that deals with guns, meds, survival and of course zombies! grin Survivalistboards is also pretty good for a fringe/survivalist place.

#295131 - 03/12/20 01:39 AM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
There is a blog called "Notes from the Bunker" at http://commanderzero.com/

Use the 'search' function on his site and you can get some good information there. The comments to the posted articles often have good references too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.