The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 18 of 20 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 >
Topic Options
#295277 - 03/19/20 01:24 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: AKSAR]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
This is the bag I'm using. The current price is $58.95, and it is small enough for me to transport it easily.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01386rd/home-vehicle-plus-bag.html

This is the next size up. The current price is $344.69. And, as you can see, we're getting into it is not very easy to transport, especially given other things I may need with me in a bugout.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01388rd/mobile-aid-kit-pack-mak.html

Jeanette Isabelle

#295278 - 03/19/20 02:01 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
This is the bag I'm using. The current price is $58.95, and it is small enough for me to transport it easily.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01386rd/home-vehicle-plus-bag.html

This is the next size up. The current price is $344.69. And, as you can see, we're getting into it is not very easy to transport, especially given other things I may need with me in a bugout.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01388rd/mobile-aid-kit-pack-mak.html

Jeanette Isabelle
Lots of other bags on the market from other manufacturers. For example check out CONTERRA. From personal experience, I know CONTERRA makes good stuff. They also make a great line of Aid Belts, and Packs.

Letting the bag determine the contents seems like the wrong way to approach it, in my opinion. Figure out what you really need, then find a suitable bag to carry it in. Or, go modular. A small, easily transported kit with the basic, most immediately needed essentials (CPR mask, trauma shears, dressings, tourniquet, glucose, etc), and a larger kit with nice to have but not absolutely essential items (BP cuff, stethoscope, etc).

#295299 - 03/19/20 08:19 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: AKSAR]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Lots of other bags on the market from other manufacturers. For example check out CONTERRA. From personal experience, I know CONTERRA makes good stuff. They also make a great line of Aid Belts, and Packs.

From looking at the pictures, the organizational system of the bags would not work for my needs.

Letting the bag determine the contents seems like the wrong way to approach it, in my opinion. Figure out what you really need, then find a suitable bag to carry it in.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right. Are you suggesting that I had bought the bag first and then designed a kit around it?

Or, go modular. A small, easily transported kit with the basic, most immediately needed essentials (CPR mask, trauma shears, dressings, tourniquet, glucose, etc), and a larger kit with nice to have but not absolutely essential items (BP cuff, stethoscope, etc).

I already have part of that (and plan to get more) in my EDC bag.

Jeanette Isabelle

#295300 - 03/19/20 09:04 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Letting the bag determine the contents seems like the wrong way to approach it, in my opinion. Figure out what you really need, then find a suitable bag to carry it in.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right. Are you suggesting that I had bought the bag first and then designed a kit around it?

No, I doubt that is the case. However, I do see you making repeated posts about taking one thing out to make room for some other thing. My impression is that you are locked into that particular bag, and its size (or lack thereof) is having undue influence on your choice of what goes in.

Regarding the organization of CONTERRA's bags , keep in mind that they are designed with much input from highly experienced professionals. Lots of real deal experience from EMTs, SAR teams, firefighters, ski patrollers, and disaster response folks goes into those bags. Those people have been there and done that, and know what works well, and what doesn't work so well. I wouldn't out of hand assume that they won't be satisfactory for your needs.

Ultimately do what you think is best. I'm just giving you my opinion.

EDIT: Check out this link on Choosing the right bag or pack

Edited by AKSAR (03/19/20 09:20 PM)

#295306 - 03/20/20 12:03 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: AKSAR]
Carpal Tunnel

My impression is that you are locked into that particular bag, and its size (or lack thereof) is having undue influence on your choice of what goes in.

I don't believe I locked myself into a specific bag. I think it is more accurate to say I locked myself into cookie-cutter concepts of how a medical kit is to be designed and only scarcely venturing outside the box while remaining chained to it.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299540 - 07/30/21 04:23 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
You can never have too many sterile pads or kling wrap....

Are these only true for a medical kit, or can they also be applied to home use?

Jeanette Isabelle

#299541 - 07/30/21 05:27 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Not sure if I am quoted correctly, but in any event, injuries at home require about the same materials and procedures as those outside the home. There isn't any hard and fast distinction.

One thing about first aid. You do the best you can with what you have when you can. Hopefully you will speedily convey the victim to definitive care ASAP.

You frequently treat victims with items that aren't within your FAK. Seriously dehydrated victim need a drink of (hopefully) clean water. Cold victims benefit from dry warm clothing and maybe body heat from another individual.

In many cases you will be using all sorts of items that are never within your FAK.

For the record, sterile pads are of course highly desirable. I have never run out of them in treating a victim and I don't carry all that many, maybe up to ten or so in various configurations. Kling wrap or some sort of compression bandage is highly useful in applying pressure or stabilizing splints, but adequate substitutes can be devised. These improvisations should be part of anyone's skill set.

Be flexible in your outlook and adjust to the situation before you.

#299542 - 07/30/21 05:53 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Not sure if I am quoted correctly, but in any event, injuries at home require about the same materials and procedures as those outside the home.

The following is what you said in its entirety.

I would find space for a stethoscope and BP cuff - it is a really good idea to diagnose before treatment and a careful patient survey, right at the start, is crucial. Often an obvious traumatic injury directs attention away from a more serious, but less obvious, problem (bloody arm fracture vs. potential spinal/cervical FX).

Some sort of notebook, writing instrument to record symptoms, times, and progression. This will be much appreciated as you hand off the victim for further care. OTOH, this happens so rarely, they may not know how to deal with it.

So much is situational. you would want different meds if dealing with high altitude problems, but that is probably not an issue in Florida.

You can never have too many sterile pads or kling wrap....

I don't see anything for CPR - a face mask for that purpose is not absolutely critical, but it is quite useful.

You do the best you can with what you have when you can.

First aid is the one area where I need input from those who have the experience that far exceeds mine. I don't want to do my best with what I have. I want to do my best with everything I need. Hence why I asked questions that have gone unanswered until I went back to the thread where people helped me stuff items into my medical bag.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (07/30/21 08:25 PM)
Edit Reason: Correct a mistake in the wording.

#299543 - 07/30/21 08:29 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thank you finding my statement!! I completely missed it.

Very frankly, what you (and probably most of us, including me) need is training. Internet chat isn't even close to sufficient.

Good training involves a fair amount of actual, hands on, practice, as well as book learning, ideally taught by a highly experienced hand. My first EMP trainer was a Navy medic with Vietnam behind him. My first refresher/recert course was a very practiced paramedic with lots of experience. That plus my own field experience made me less of a disaster on an emergency scene.

I know you have said that training in your area is hard to come by. I can only hope that you will be successful eventually.

#299544 - 07/30/21 09:01 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

I took classes, book learning, practiced on myself, some in the field experience, and, if you may recall, I built first aid kits for missionaries before moving to Florida.

My in-the-field experience is nowhere near that of you and others. For that reason, I don't know which items I'm most likely to run out of during a disaster. I recall comments such as "you can never have too much tape." When I used the search function, I wasn't able to find out who said that. I'm using cloth tape as one example, but how many rolls do I need until I'm confident that I'm covered?

One person said I needed twelve rolls of CoFlex. I have thirteen. Do I have that covered?

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 18 of 20 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.