The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#295226 - 03/16/20 05:35 AM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Michael2]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
We're under orders to work from home for the extent of the 'crisis' (I can't think of a better word right now). I'm already getting cabin fever as I attempt to limit trips out of the house and avoid contact with groups of people. We got some cold and snow the last couple days which sucked; it would be great to run up into the mountains for a couple days to recharge my batteries mentally but I'm still getting over a pretty nasty fall on top of the weather. mad

Good luck to us all!

#295228 - 03/16/20 01:51 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Phaedrus]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
a good article on how the flattening works...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

This is not specific to corona virus, but the principle is sound

#295229 - 03/16/20 04:06 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: chaosmagnet]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I’ve canceled my annual physical to free my doctor and his staff for more urgent work, and to keep myself away from his waiting room full of sick people.

Or did you just want to distance your prostate from the doctor's icy grip? Hah!!

Stay healthy.

#295230 - 03/16/20 04:09 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: LCranston]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: LCranston
a good article on how the flattening works...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

This is not specific to corona virus, but the principle is sound

This is a must read/view article!!

Keep in mind that the objective is not so much to reduce the total number of people who eventually get infected - it will likely move throughout the population, but rather the decrease the number of people with symptoms - especially those requiring hospitalization - at a given time, so we don't overwhelm the currently available health services.

#295232 - 03/16/20 06:35 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: KenK]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Or did you just want to distance your prostate from the doctor's icy grip? Hah!!

Stay healthy.

LOL

Actually I was worried about prostate serious stuff, but turned out less serious.
However, while they were checking things right and left, they found two cysts (one at each kidney). Doctor said we will check every 3-6 months . If they are growing we will operate, if not just keep watching.

That was before this CV mess.

#295233 - 03/16/20 06:45 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Back to flattening the curve

What I am doing is isolate myself , and the family (as much as I can , without upsetting anyone). Will be absent from any social occasion, even if my brothers insist on it , which I doubt.

Planning for one occasion though. It is Mother day within the house on March 21(shhhh. mom still doesn't know the surprise). I hope the occasion will add a few smiles in the house. One son, whom I am worried about had luckily been forced to work online at home, and his gym has closed down . Big relief. Other son still no word on going home but I am not worried about him. He is not very social to begin with.

Me ??
I am an INTJ. Most enoyable moments of my life when I am left alone in my few feet of home office. It is like heaven.

#295234 - 03/16/20 07:53 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Michael2]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Interesting to see how slowly the ship turns.
People at my wife's work (local gov) were told only non essential workers should come to work, everyone else telecommute. How ever the next level down supervisors didn't give concrete direction. My wife found there was to be a big pizza party in her office to gather all the field workers and tell them how things were going to work at home. She chased out the supervisor before he could start up the party. Today she learned one of those field workers tested positive and another co-wrokers husband also has tested +.

No mention in the newspapers yet of those two.

#295235 - 03/16/20 09:08 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Michael2]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

The six SF Bay Area counties have issued a general "Shelter-in-place" order.

(Here, I'm afraid, we are a bit further along the curve than some other places in the country.)

All non-essential businesses are closed and non-essential travel prohibited.
This is the text of the order for San Mateo County:

Order of the Health Officer of the County of San Mateo

Edited by Michael2 (03/16/20 09:12 PM)

#295245 - 03/17/20 05:02 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Michael2]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Well, my son is out of school now, when he went yesterday to get instruction on how to do his work online he found out 5 of his high school friends have tested positive for the virus. None of them are showing in the statistics yet. Don't know why communication is so bad between agencies. Many more of his friends were already out with CV19 like symptoms but couldn't be tested for lack of tests.

The way this was handled by the CDC is really shameful. They refused to let researchers that had data and tests, to proceed- ordered them to stop. Turf wars I suppose.

Local health system is already saying they don't have enough ventilators nor even bed space even tho officially there are only 3 known cases in the whole county. They are avoiding jailing non-violent criminals to prevent crowding. People are being told to not put wet wipes and paper towels down the toilet to avoid plugging up their own pipes as well as the city's. They are to go in the trash to be burned and turned to electricity at the waste to energy plant. Plans are also being discussed to use the incinerator for bodies if we get to the state where funeral homes are overwhelmed. I suppose this will please some folks of dark humor and a recycling minded outlook.

One conundrum is how to provide safe daycare for the children of medical, sanitation and emergency services personnel. Preschoolers aren't amenable to 6' separation from each other, and the normal use of Grandmas is not safe.

My neighbor has taken in a homeless friend because of the cold weather, snow, and virus, but the friend refuses to stay home during the day and goes all over the city visiting his friends on the street and scrounging for stuff he can sell. The neighbors mom is diabetic and on oxygen.

What are people thinking? Stay home at least until there are enough ventilators to go around.

#295246 - 03/17/20 06:58 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Michael2]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Emergency powers of the Mayor

"Woodward, under the law, even has the power to stop the sale of gasoline or “other flammable liquids” except for use in a motor vehicle. She can also order the closure of bars and other establishments that sell alcohol, or just outright ban the sale of alcohol. Woodward has given no indication that such strict orders are part of her plans.

Woodward now has the authority to close any city street, park or other public space.

After she makes an emergency declaration, city law allows the mayor to order any business establishment “or other places of public assemblage to close.” The order can be in effect indefinitely."
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/mar/17/spokane-county-city-of-spokane-declare-emergencies/

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.