Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#295189 - 03/15/20 03:17 AM Flatten the Curve
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

Good information here;

Flatten the curve - COVID-19

Some key points:

• Don’t panic but do not brush off the public health warnings of Coronavirus.
  • This is not normal flu. For most people, infection results in a mild but still transmissible illness; that is how it spreads. Those that get severe illness are hit really hard.
  • Assume that the virus is already in your city / town / workplace / church / etc.
  • The US healthcare system is not well enough prepared. No one is.
  • There is hope. You’re it. That’s the work. You can help by following as much as possible of the following guidance. The earlier the precautions are taken, the more precautions are taken, the more lives are saved. It is that simple.

#295191 - 03/15/20 04:14 AM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Michael2]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I think not many people understand that these efforts are simply trying to lower the maximum number of critically ill people at a given time, so as not to overwhelm the existing healthcare services.

I did hear one person say something about a new virus tends to be less dangerous as time goes by. They didn't say why/how that happens. I've not heard that from anyone else. I don't believe they were referring to the eventual development of a vaccine.

#295192 - 03/15/20 05:10 AM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Michael2]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

A local busnessman got onto social media and was complaining about having no customers. He said : who will pay the salaries ? Who will pay for this ??

Sad as it may be, he should realize that if the virus strikes his customers, they will be absent from his business for much longer time, and maybe forever. And if the virus strikes him, the business will be the least of his worries.

#295194 - 03/15/20 08:18 AM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Michael2]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Great resource! Thanks!

#295196 - 03/15/20 01:52 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Off the top of my head, a virus may become less dangerous because the more susceptible members have been eliminated from the population and the virus is infecting those more resistant. It is called natural selection.

#295198 - 03/15/20 02:39 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That would imply that the virus is discriminating. [sarc/on] For a virus to discriminate based on race, gender, age, ACE2 levels or overall health is surely politically incorrect and we can’t have that — totally unacceptable. That’s not who we are. [sarc/off].

I’m one of those over-60 guys who’s been doing everything wrong and if I’ve gotten this thing I haven’t noticed any symptoms. Breath in deeply and hold it. Any discomfort or irritation in your lungs? No? Nope, none at all. Then you should be good to go.

Critical Information On How To Protect Yourself From The Coronavirus
King World News
https://kingworldnews.com/alert-out-of-i...he-coronavirus/
Quote:
... From member of the Stanford hospital board. This is their feedback for now on Corona virus:

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it’s too late.

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. ...
More at the link.

Okay, it’s Sunday morning — time to go out for breakfast. [Surely he’s not serious. Actually Shirley, I think he is]

Okay, maybe tomorrow, the panic shoppers are clogging the parking lots trying to hoard toilet paper...

#295199 - 03/15/20 02:45 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
What Does ‘Social Distancing’ Mean? - The Atlantic

Hmmm, the article doesn’t mention lap-dances...

Covid-19 Pandemic To Crash Sex Worker Income

It’s just a matter of priorities...

#295200 - 03/15/20 02:52 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Michael2]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
I did hear one person say something about a new virus tends to be less dangerous as time goes by. They didn't say why/how that happens. I've not heard that from anyone else. I don't believe they were referring to the eventual development of a vaccine.

The person may be referring to what is described here:

Coronavirus will linger after the pandemic ends. But it won’t be as bad.

I think it just means that the people that survive will have full or partial immunity against future infection. This means that if there are later waves of the virus (or closely related versions), the stress on the healthcare system won't be as bad as the first time around.

Edited by Michael2 (03/15/20 02:53 PM)

#295206 - 03/15/20 04:39 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Michael2]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
The virus is under natural selection too.

The more dangerous variants decline as they're more likely to kill their hosts. Or their hosts feel ill enough to isolate, so can't spread as much.

And the milder forms become more dominant.

But not an expert.

Edited by Ren (03/15/20 05:03 PM)

#295207 - 03/15/20 04:40 PM Re: Flatten the Curve [Re: Michael2]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am personally involved in efforts to flatten the curve (lengthy war story).

Since December, i have been prepping for, and looking forward to, a right hip replacement. Last week I had a meeting with the surgeon who was delayed because of a hospital staff meeting re coronavirus.

There was an issue with my clotting time, and he told me to get with my primary care doc and straighten things out. Called their office and got an appointment right away for this Monday.

About 4 PM the office called me, cancelling the appointment. They will contact me again when normal operations are resumed. The response was 'yes" when I asked if this had anything to do with CV. In the interim, the county health department had declared a local emergency, due to CV. Currently my new hip is in an indefinite limbo.

My take on this is that they are clearing the decks (halting all or most elective procedures, etc) in anticipation of a sharp increase in CV cases.

Now I would much rather go through with my procedure, but it makes sense to me to alter priorities to deal with a much greater threat, especially when I see that my chances of fatality from CV are significantly greater than you young folks....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.