Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#295132 - 03/12/20 01:55 AM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Phaedrus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
ZombieHunters is a good forum that deals with guns, meds, survival and of course zombies! grin

The only Zombie Hunters I found is a game.

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Survivalistboards is also pretty good for a fringe/survivalist place.

I'm in the process of reading one of the topics. My initial impression is this is another web site where people live out their TEOTWAWKI fantasies. If you feel this is a legitimate prepper website, I'll continue to read what they have to say.

Jeanette Isabelle

#295135 - 03/12/20 06:33 AM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm sorry, I meant "ZombieSquad." I sometimes develop CRS!

#295156 - 03/13/20 01:39 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Taking a step back, first decide what you need to prepare for:

The 'good cop' of the internet: Wikipedia, is always a good place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_holocaust

Covers the likelihood of a nuclear holocaust. And whether you need to prepare for EMP, nuclear winter, starvation....

From the little I've seen of preppers sites they seem nonsense. I've yet to see one (though as I admit, I've not seen many) with a radiation detector in their kit. Surely item number one if you really think some areas are going to be certain death if the wind is in the wrong direction, whatever you do.

As for the dollar becoming worthless; it sounds absurd. The US dollar is the worlds reserve currency. The arabs struck oil, you struck everything. You are a manufacturing, finance, academia, techological, computing, agricultural, fisheries, timber, oil, coal, gas, gold, silver etc, etc giant. A huge (330 million) skilled and educated workforce. A military that could probably defeat the rest of the world combined. You spend as much as the next 10 countries together The count of countries the US has invaded keeps growing. The number that have invaded you has remained the same since 1812; zero.
how could that possibly happen?
qjs

#295158 - 03/13/20 04:17 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Actually there is one country that could destroy the US dollar: The United States.
If Lee had won the battle of Gettysburg (and he thought he would have if Jackson had not been shot by his own pickets six weeks earlier). The south might have taken Washington and it could be the US dollar, not the Confederate dollar that was worthless.
qjs

#295159 - 03/13/20 05:20 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: quick_joey_small]
Carpal Tunnel

Redacted.

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
From the little I've seen of preppers sites they seem nonsense.

I'm currently digging through one right now, looking for nuggets of useful information.

As for the dollar becoming worthless; it sounds absurd. The US dollar is the worlds reserve currency. The arabs struck oil, you struck everything. You are a manufacturing, finance, academia, techological, computing, agricultural, fisheries, timber, oil, coal, gas, gold, silver etc, etc giant. A huge (330 million) skilled and educated workforce.

The U.S. dollar is the current reserve currency of the world. The reason for this is, nations buy and sell oil using U.S. dollars. Some people don't like this. Therefore, they've talked about buying and selling oil with gold instead of U.S. dollars. This action will flood the market with U.S. dollars.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by chaosmagnet (03/13/20 08:03 PM)
Edit Reason: inappropriate content

#295160 - 03/13/20 06:52 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Many prefer to do business in euro instead of dollar.

#295161 - 03/13/20 06:57 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
From the little I've seen of preppers sites they seem nonsense.

I'm currently digging through one right now, looking for nuggets of useful information.

The "every man for himself" mindset that I am seeing is turning me off.

As Hikermor said:
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Frankly, when trouble comes, I intend to reach out and help my neighbors and i confidently predict they will help in return. This follows the CERT model - help yourself, your family, and then those nearby in the event of a problem.

If our money becomes worthless and the supply chain stops, I would like it if our gated community could pull our resources together. There are skills in just about every field in our gated community. For example, on our block alone, there are at least three nurses.

The problem is obvious: other than wild turkeys roaming our fenced-in community and lots of trees, what resources do we have to pull together? There's not a lot of space for growing food. Are we somehow able to make trades with the neighboring small farms (which are slowly dwindling due to new home construction)?

Trees can be chopped down and used for something. That alone would free up more space for growing more food. If there is a way to domesticate the wild turkeys, we could raise turkeys. I may not have a green thumb, but I have experience with composting. With all the trees we have, we would have lots of fertile soil.

Is there anything else even if it is not a "survivalist" website?

Jeanette Isabelle

#295163 - 03/13/20 09:40 PM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The question of natural resources, especially food, that can be utilized in an emergency is fascinating., It is well worthwhile looking at Native Americans and their history for insights.

If I were in a survival situation anywhere, I would wish for coastal California with its abundant tide pool foods. Twice a day, the table is set, usually abundantly. One has to learn about different foods, and how to prepare them, but there is plenty of chow available. Besides sea food, there is an abundant tuber which can be eaten raw. i have tried it a few times, and it is quite delicious, raw. And then there are oaks and their acorns. Formerly oaks were a mainstay of aboriginal diets, providing enough food that agriculture never really established in California.

Similarly, in the desert Southwest, you have pinyon pine nuts, cactus fruit, and many other leafy green veggies, all certified organic, non-GMO, Fair Traded, etc.

I know less about the native food plant resources of Florida without doing some research, but I am sure there is more than turkeys and trees...

Thse foods were sufficient for a much smaller population than is now present, but most people will remain uninformed or unwilling to drastically change froma McDonald's diet. Those who can make the switch will do much better. Of course, harvesting is seasonal, so careful planning is essential. Realistically , native foods are only supplemental, but they can easily make a big difference

#295168 - 03/14/20 08:49 AM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

jeanette Isabel wrote:

'The U.S. dollar is the current reserve currency of the world. The reason for this is, nations buy and sell oil using U.S. dollars. Some people don't like this. Therefore, they've talked about buying and selling oil with gold instead of U.S. dollars. This action will flood the market with U.S. dollars.'

How would people stop using dollars make the dollar worthless?
A switch to gold would probably make the US richer not poorer. You have more gold reserves than the next three countries combined. And lots still in the ground.
The countries deciding to wreck the dollar (and I can't see what combination could) would be doing themselves immense harm. The worlds biggest customer suddenly has no money? Who is going to want that?
I think this is stepping into the preppers fantasy territory. A nuclear war, yellowstone erupting, possibly a solar flare of carrington event size would be catastrophic. A weaker dollar not.

qjs

#295169 - 03/14/20 08:55 AM Re: Requesting Recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
This is kind of a tough discussion. I think that in general terms most of us understand that pandemics have plagued mankind (no pun intended) from the beginning of human civilization. It's been a century since the Western world has faced an epidemic with millions of deaths. Experts have long warned that a serious pandemic is probably inevitable, so it's not if but when. So is COVID19 that killer? Probably not. It doesn't seem to lethal enough to end human civilization.

However that doesn't mean it can't disrupt things badly. The US is far less prepared for a pandemic than many other countries for lots of complicated reasons.

I do think this will be a learning experience. It seems like every big panic/event has its own unique issues. Personally I was pretty surprised to see the run on TP; it makes no sense to me whatsoever. But when this whole thing runs its course I think we'll all have some adjustments to make in our emergency plans.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.