Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#295053 - 03/06/20 09:34 PM I'm surprised how few people...
teacher Offline
Old Hand

...Carry either a charger, battery, or both.

#295137 - 03/12/20 02:59 PM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Carry as in EDC? Not gonna happen. It really depends on the kit. The Bailout bag I’m assembling will have a 10K mAH power bank, but other than that, USB chargers are everywhere I look: at home, in my truck, at work. Why carry another...

#295142 - 03/12/20 05:12 PM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

both daily and in kits...

#295166 - 03/14/20 03:11 AM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: teacher]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

My IPhone has a Mophie battery cover @125% extra charge. My EDC bag has a cigarette lighter plug and a regular wall plug , with different wires to recharge the Mophie
and the I Pone/ IPad. My IPad is always @ 100% at the beginning of the day. I don’t generally carry a power bank.

The 500L flashlight in my bag has a rechargeable 1450 battery+ charging wire. That fits the other plugs I carry. My other pocket carried and tiny headband E-Light are Lithium powered by disposable batteries. I do carry a spare AAA and button batteries in the bag.

I overdo flashlights because I work in a highly urbanized environment, high rises, government buildings and I use subways. I want several ways to light my way out in an emergency power failure and to be able to give lights to my wife or a co-worker who might be with me.

#295187 - 03/15/20 02:06 AM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: teacher]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Teacher, did you mean a charger/battery for a cell phone?

I keep two cell phone charger cables (with wall plugs) in each of our (wife & my) cars, and a pair of charger cables in my travel bag (usually by car, so we actually have four sets).

When camping or attending day-long events with the Boy Scouts (leader) I always brought a power bank. There was usually never the ability to charge via an outlet.

I once attended a Girl Scout weekend event (**) that included a round-robin on several topics. One of the topics was use of a GPS. Being the good leader that I was, I pulled out my GPS to let the girls use it. Sadly, the batteries were almost dead, and I'd forgotten to bring along an extra set. The good news was that one of the girls had brought extra batteries. It was embarrassing. Lesson learned!! Since then I ALWAYS bring extra batteries.

** I was also a registered, but occasional Girl Scout Leader - helping with overnight campouts. Parents tended to not want a male Girl Scout leader - actually driving out the troop's original male leader. I thought that was insane. Female (mother) leaders were very much an active part of my son's Boy Scout troop, and no one ever blinked about it. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that Boy Scouts had/has a VERY well thought out and emphasized youth safety program.

I have to say I never noticed such a program in Girl Scouts, though the main Girl Scout leader for my daughter's troop was also an active Boy Scout Assistant Scoutmaster, so I know if nothing else she used the Boy Scout safety rules.

Sorry for the subject matter left turn there. Sigh.

#295224 - 03/15/20 11:22 PM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: teacher]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I don't go to my kitchen without a charging cable.

#299180 - 06/25/21 01:42 AM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

1. snacks
2. rain gear, jacket or umbrella
3. simple meds
4. water

#299212 - 06/28/21 06:34 PM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

And how few people test or update their gear.

#299274 - 07/06/21 08:24 AM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: teacher]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I keep separate sets of chargers and cables in:
1. my bedroom
2. my kitchen
3. my truck
4. my office
5. my handbag, including a 5 Ah backup battery pack

and, I have a larger 13 Ah backup battery pack that gets used during power outages or while travelling, and otherwise stays in my Travelpro flight tote.

Because of this, the set in my handbag almost never gets used. My iPhone and iPad stay plugged in unless I am actually moving between those locations or out of the house on foot, so they are virtually always at 100% charge.

But, I plan to revamp all of this this year, since my new iPad and iPhone have USB-C charging cables and can take higher current charging, and I am planning on buying at least one Fenix tactical flashlight that takes a 21700 USB-C battery and a Fenix taillamp for my bicycle that takes a USB-C charger. That way, I will be standardised on USB-C. I also inherited my boss’ 2017 model MacBook Pro to replace the 2012 MacBook Pro I inherited from him a few years ago, and that is all USB-C.

I’m going to get either the Fenix TK28 TAC or PD36 TAC, and the bicycle mount for it. Fenix is also coming out with a USB-C charging cradle that will enable me to use a 21700 battery as a backup battery for my iPhone, and that will ensure I always have a backup battery for the flashlight on me, as well, in addition to my Fenix E12 v2.0 EDC flashlight.

I’m just waiting for the specs of the TK28 TAC to be released, so I can decide between that and the PD36 TAC. The PD36 TAC will run over 10 hours at 350 lumens with a flat discharge curve, or over 18.5 hours at 150 lumens, or 45 hours at 30 lumens. I don’t really even care about the super high power modes.

I live on one edge of the downtown area of my town, and my office is at the opposite edge, about 3 miles away. In between is all my shopping. With at least 10 hours runtime at 350 lumens, and a short commute, I’ll have plenty of battery power if I need to actually access the Tactical mode, and I’ll still have a backup 21700 ready to go.

Edited by amper (07/06/21 08:25 AM)

#299275 - 07/06/21 08:31 AM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: teacher]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: teacher
1. snacks
2. rain gear, jacket or umbrella
3. simple meds
4. water

With the pandemic, I’ve been reluctant to buy snacks or drinks outside the house, so these days, I’m always carrying something to munch on and a big bottle of water.

My EDC pouch always includes ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and diphenhydramine, because I get frequent headaches and hay fever.

Two years ago, I bought a really nice Knirps umbrella for my travel kit, travelled to my stepfather’s funeral just before the pandemic quarantine, and left the umbrella at my mother’s. It’s never been used, and I have yet to see my mother since March 2020. My mother is disabled, so I didn’t ask her to post it. But normally, I do carry a small umbrella in my handbag, with another in my truck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.