The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#294888 - 02/22/20 12:42 PM What Not to do in a Survival Situation
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
This is the funniest thing I have come across in a very long time. These two "preppers" will demonstrate everything you do not do in a survival situation.

Edit: The link has been removed because it contains political labels. If you want to see this "offensive" video, message me.

I would rather have the $5,000 survival kit than the katana, can of cat food, ramen noodles, and poncho.

Note: Though this video contains words we can't use in the forum, I hope we can all look past them and enjoy the humor of this video.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (02/22/20 03:12 PM)

#294889 - 02/22/20 02:11 PM Re: What Not to do in a Survival Situation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Don't we have a thing about avoiding politics on this forum??

I did not watch the whole tape but it seems way off base. They are deep into the gun toting, camo clad "survivalist" civil war fantasy (How much ammo do we need to defend our stuff" from the hordes, etc.

ETS is a far more rational site.

For the record, I would probably be considered a "lib" and I have been prudently preparing for disasters and inconveniences for many years. When SHTF, I am going to band with my neighbors and even complete strangers to survive and thrive. - lots of historical examples.

I could care less about the politics of someone i am helping or who is helping me.

Edited by hikermor (02/22/20 03:07 PM)

#294890 - 02/22/20 03:07 PM Re: What Not to do in a Survival Situation [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

I posted a note because I was hoping we can be mature enough to look past the bashing of both political spectrums and see the humorous ways the two "preppers" are doing it wrong.

One "prepper" has a samurai sword but has not trained with it. Uses cat food to bate his meal but has no gear to trap it.

The other "prepper" destroys a smartphone because it is "useless" in a survival situation. Even if you don't have a signal, some apps are still useful. The second "prepper" goes through the pre-made bug-out-bag, pulls things out, and throws them away, stating these things are useless in a survival situation. In a survival situation, use what you have, even if it's a candy bar. A deck of cards can be used as kindling or use it to help maintain your sanity. The second "prepper" does use a poncho as a temporary shelter but uses nothing to insulate himself from the cold ground.

If you can't get past the labels that these comedians are throwing around and appreciate the humous ways the actors give demonstrations on what not to do, I'll remove the link. We'll discuss the lessons of this video without seeing it.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294891 - 02/22/20 03:17 PM Re: What Not to do in a Survival Situation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Hey now - that was/is some funny stuff. I don't think that we need to take everything as serious and I don't see this as at all political.

Both "sides" of the issue were overdone to make a funny point (satire) and I, for one, appreciate how we can look at something like this and have a nice laugh.

The sword was a nice touch for the "mall ninja" segment and the poncho shelter without being set up beyond a very simple way was also a nice nod to the "outdoor expert" that has to be rescued someplace every season.

So I don't take this as serious information but as humor commentary about the whole main-stream attitude about being prepared. I enjoyed the 'interviewer' response to the ideas being presented and the drink the champagne bit at the end sort of summed it all up nicely.

The one scary part was the "elite" equipment company five grand bag with things in it like the champagne koozie... some people will actually think that is necessary! This is all in fun so - let's enjoy! Happy weekend!!

Paul -

#294892 - 02/22/20 03:20 PM Re: What Not to do in a Survival Situation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Frankly, I didn't see anything worth discussing.

I lurk from time to time on sundry "survivalist" sites -my guilty pleasure, I guess. But ti is a bit disturbing to see the ideology so blatantly displayed therein.

My attitude regarding political irrelevance probably comes from my SAR experience, where we got people out of danger before judging their actions. In at least two situations, those whom we rescued did not pass Go, didnot collect $200, and went directly to jail. One of these, where I and a fellow rescuer were deep in a crumbling mine shaft, was the one occasion where we were in significant danger ofinjury or death.

In any event, I am well beyond concern about someone's politics Some of my best friends are PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. (or PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.,or Libertarian,etc.)

Edited by hikermor (02/22/20 03:21 PM)

#294944 - 02/29/20 10:54 PM Re: What Not to do in a Survival Situation [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I lurk from time to time on sundry "survivalist" sites

Could you recommend any? I don't need anything to the extent of Armageddon. Things I wish to prepare for are a disruption in the supply chain, financial collapse, or a nuclear attack.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294945 - 02/29/20 11:43 PM Re: What Not to do in a Survival Situation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Survivalistboards.com is an entertaining one. I am registered there but rarely visit; my dad was a regular so I pop in from time to time.

#294947 - 03/01/20 01:23 AM Re: What Not to do in a Survival Situation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

You are on the best one right here. Way too many get heavily into politics and indulge in fantasies. The basics on the home page here are a great start and there are lots of worthwhile threads.

Many sites emphasize strife and conflict. Adversity will arrive and you will be attacked because you worthwhile stuff, so you need lots of guns and ammo to mow down the hordes.

I won't deny that conflict can be present during disasters, but it is a much ess common than imagined in most fantasy sites. I do think that a well rounded individual is competent around firearms, but shooting isn't the first action.

Any specific questions??

Edited by hikermor (03/01/20 01:32 PM)

#294951 - 03/01/20 02:03 AM Re: What Not to do in a Survival Situation [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
You are on the best one right here.

The basics on the hoe page here are a great start and there are lots of worthwhile threads.

Any specific questions??

I thought ETS is not a "survivalist" web site.

I need to closer to being prepared for events such as a nuclear attack, not be able to buy anything, or bugging out across the Atlantic.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294956 - 03/01/20 09:27 AM Re: What Not to do in a Survival Situation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
bugging out across the Atlantic.

Jeanette Isabelle

You´re welcome to Finland. We have a nice and quiet country without earthquakes or volcanos or tornados. People too are friendly once you learn to know them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.