Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#294915 - 02/26/20 10:54 PM Your bug out bag has the wrong gear
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Your BOB had all the wrong gear for all the wrong reasons.

From another discussion -- Listen, you're not going to hike off into the wild and survive with your BOB. You're going to throw it into the car and take it to a hotel or shelter or friends house till things blow over.

#294916 - 02/26/20 11:10 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I describe the kit I keep in the car as my “emergency kit”; it is not designed around “bugging out” as much as it is meant to provide for gear that I know how to use for a wide range of situations, from tightening a bolt on a kid’s bicycle to a multi-dozen-vehicle interstate pileup combining rescue, mass-casualty and communications emergencies.

Bugging out is much more likely to require an overnight bag and a hotel reservation.

#294918 - 02/27/20 12:05 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: teacher
Listen, you're not going to hike off into the wild and survive with your BOB. You're going to throw it into the car and take it to a hotel or shelter or friends house till things blow over.

That describes my BOB, which is a suitcase with the usual items plus a box of alcohol swabs and refill items for my EDC bag.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294919 - 02/27/20 03:50 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My "BOB", sitting about five feet away as I type this, is strongly influenced by the backpacks I used doing fairly extensive and frequent SAR many moons ago. Sometimes the necessary response was leisurely and all too often, immediate.

The bag was therefore packed with basics, along with fairly elaborate EMT items and enough gear to see me through about two nights out in the hills. Usually there were a few items of technical climbing gear.

The contents of my bag are considerably less complex these days, since I now only need to contend with the benign SoCal climate. But I can easily get ready for a typical day trip and make quick forays to the Channel Islands.

This set up was very useful when we had to evacuate a couple of years ago. The pack was tossed in the car,along with our caged cat,a bit more water, sleeping bag, emergency money supply and other odds and ends and we left at 2 AM. most of this stuff was not really used, but we lucked out, staying at no expense in a decent motel. I was still glad I had my basic gear, essentially the ten or so essentials, as well as other basic gear (suitable clothes for the climate and for comfortable sleeping).

Generally,your gear needs to be tweeked for different seasons and situations. This was especially true in southern Arizona, where you could be on snowshoes one week, and conducting swift water rescue the next.

#294934 - 02/28/20 08:17 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Think more in terms of a spy's bag than a wilderness survival one.

#294937 - 02/28/20 10:00 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
Carpal Tunnel

Think more in terms of a spy's bag than a wilderness survival one.

What do you mean?

Jeanette Isabelle

#294938 - 02/28/20 11:58 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Maybe he means that your BOB should be hidden in an air vent and contain a Glock, lots of cash and various foreign currency, and a number of falsified ID’s with corresponding passports (in various names with pictures taken in disguise). Yeah... no, my BOB doesn’t have any of those “essentials” either. I think I know where my out-of-date passport is stored but I haven’t seen it in years. I am officially no longer a spy cool LOL

#294981 - 03/02/20 10:01 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

No - in the spy world you need a bag to grab with supplies to get you to safety -- Usually a passport, tools, clothes, cash...

#294986 - 03/03/20 12:02 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Russ, of course you saaayyyy that you're not a spy. That's exactly what a spy would say. Spy gear is usually stored in a hidden closet, unless there is an entire communication bunker.

We've pretty much been living under the "bug in" thinking. Our only real limited resource is food and (much to my wife's concern) toilet paper. We have a natural gas whole house generator that provides well water, and probably a year's supply of horse hay (there's a hay shortage in WI, so we hoarded a bit to be safe). Right now we stock up with the thought of a 2-4 week self quarantine if one of us gets the big C. Heck, we can get almost anything we need via internet orders.

This area's biggest threats are tornadoes (get to the basement) and forest fire (leave the immediate area for a few days).

I keep what I call my "hiking pack" that is my survival kit. I don't do long treks in deep woods anymore. It contains typical short term (overnight?) survival gear (first aid kit, blades, ferro rod, lighter, tinder, 1 qt nalgene bottle, steripen, gps, compass, two headlamps, paracord, ...), but limited shelter (two 55 gallon bags and two headnets, I do consider our car shelter). Recently I threw in two of Doug's survival kits for good measure. We think our PLB has aged enough to be replaced this summer.

In addition to the PLB, we've been talking about better ... uh... home security equipment (in addition to the dogs). I suspect police response time could approach an hour. We'd be better to call the local ambulance crew.

Oddly, now that we've moved to a pretty rural area one of our biggest concerns is if we get into a big car accident, and nobody knows that there are two dogs and two horses at home that need care. When we go on longer drives we send a brief itinerary to family, and then let them know when we return. The folks around here are amazing. I've joked with out of state family that even a call to the local Shell station would bring the needed help.

#294991 - 03/03/20 02:20 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Terminology is often ill-defined. When some folk say bug-out-bag they think a bag with all the supplies you’ll need to survive in the wilderness for weeks/months/indefinitely — and you need to carry it there on foot. Yeah, that’s not going to happen. Carrying medium-long term supplies on your back is a non-starter.

I’ve often said that my bug-out-bag is a truck. For medium-long term you need a lot of supplies unless you have the requisite skill-sets and seriously expect to live off the land.

Teacher’s bag that you “grab with supplies to get you to safety” is what I consider to be a bail-out-bag. It’s small, light and minimalist because its only purpose is to get you to another place quickly; the other place already has what you need for the medium-long term.

County Comm Bail Out Bag, Gen 8 has good organization, compartments for essential paperwork, FAK, water bottle and other small essentials... approx 1386 cu.in.

On TeeVee a spy’s bag may have lots of cash/foreign currency and multiple passports because a spy may need to travel by air under a false identity — we’re not spies. For the rest of us: cash, ID, a change of clothes and a toothbrush. Tools are heavy, they should already be at the bug-out site (along with a firearm (more than one) which in some hands might be considered tools).

My goal is to get a bug-out-site suitable and well stocked, and dump my bug-out truck for something more minimalist.

Edited by Russ (03/04/20 08:19 PM)
Edit Reason: CC Bail Out Bag link & comments

#295013 - 03/04/20 09:00 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Terminology: What is the difference — size & purpose — of a Bug-Out bag, Bail-Out bag and Go bag. In my mind those bags have different functions. Is that discussion worthwhile?

#295015 - 03/04/20 09:30 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Don't get too hung up on terms. Pack what you need for your likely destination.

Jeanette Isabelle

#295018 - 03/04/20 10:38 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Generally I agree with that sentiment, but in order to discuss this subject, it’s good to have a common understanding. A lot of discussions on a bug-out bag go on to discuss something smaller that would be good for maybe 24 hours.

So definitely pack what you need, but for the sake of discussion, it would be nice to have a common terminology.

#295025 - 03/05/20 01:35 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Terminology: What is the difference — size & purpose — of a Bug-Out bag, Bail-Out bag and Go bag. In my mind those bags have different functions. Is that discussion worthwhile?

"Go Bag" -- A kit designed around "I expect to leave this place on short or no notice to do a thing." I travel quite a bit for my job, and my overnight bag fits this description. I can be out the door for a 1-4 night trip in under five minutes. I have another bag set up for IT support. While that's not my job any more, every so often I am doing something for work or for a friend or relative, and it's convenient for me to have those things in its own bag.

"Bail Out Bag" -- A kit designed around "I may have to leave this conveyance that I'm in abruptly." A kayaker may have fire-makings, communications, and first aid gear, for example.

"Bug Out Bag" -- Here I've seen a lot of different definitions. Mine is a kit designed around "I may have to leave this place abruptly." I do not maintain one of these. You may look at my car-based emergency kit and call it a Bug Out Bag. Neither I nor the bag would be offended, even though that's not how I think of it.

These are my definitions for me and my situation and use cases, yours may be different.

#295026 - 03/05/20 03:25 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

"wrong gear" is a questionable term. I keep my "core bag/goody bag" assembled with basic ten essential/survival gear stufff, a lot of which has pretty broad application.

A recent example. On Super Tuesday I supervised a polling place and at one point i needed a bit of string to hang an item. the most convenient source was my goody bag, which had lengths of mason's twine, normally used to construct impromptu shelters or bivys. But here was another use in a distinctly urban situation. Duct tape is another classic example of a broadly useful, versatile item.

Definitely if you have time, you can fine tune the contents of a bag to become more suited to the situation.

#295051 - 03/06/20 08:50 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i have no need for any of this as wilderness travel is my game. but looking at a youtube of a guys gear i was struck by the things he had that called out "i'm a prepper,rob my stuff!".a hat with a tactical logo,fancy sunglasses and a $100 back pack.

#295056 - 03/06/20 09:49 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Your BOB had all the wrong gear for all the wrong reasons.

From another discussion -- Listen, you're not going to hike off into the wild and survive with your BOB. You're going to throw it into the car and take it to a hotel or shelter or friends house till things blow over.

The post in the discussion is mistaken in stating that your BOB has the wrong gear. Just because you have a BOB with gear & supplies for an extended stay in the wilderness does not mean it’s the wrong bag for a hotel stay or camping out on a friend’s couch. You may only use a clean shirt and socks from the BOB, but at least you have a clean shirt and socks. If you’d bugged out to a hotel with only pocket carry or a Bailout bag, you might not have much to take you through an overnight. You’ll be wearing the same shirt and underwear when you check out.

Different bags for different purposes, but that doesn’t mean a BOB won’t be okay for a hotel stay. I’d rather have too much than too little so a BOB would beat out a (necessarily minimalist) Bailout bag everyday.

OTOH, a Go bag may have just what you need if you had a hotel stay or overnight in mind when you put it together. Currently my Go bag (to call it that) is like a 24 hour kit — through the day and overnight. When I was flying on active duty I’d often take a bingo bag just in case we landed at a field other than the one planned. If everything went as planned I’d go back to my room and drop my bingo bag in the corner unopened. If we had a problem and landed somewhere else, I had an overnight bag. Sometimes landing at a different field was planned and I took the same bag; call it a Go bag.

#295143 - 03/12/20 05:14 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

This thread started me thinking that a Bailout bag would be a good place to keep the EDC items that I stopped carrying and maybe also for back-ups to my pocket carry. A cellphone goes with me only occasionally and if I’m going somewhere unfamiliar I’ll want a GPS. Items needing battery power might also need a power bank.

I have had a messenger bag unused and available, good for a small kit and fairly inconspicuous. Considering the COVID-19 issue, I will add a couple N-99 isolation masks and a couple pair of nitrile gloves in a ziplock bag. A minimalist FAK will also be included in another ziplock.

So, the result of all that thinking was a Bailout bag consisting of:
Bag: Timbuk2 XS Messenger Bag — 549 ci, nylon.
GPS: Oregon 600.
Cellphone: Kyocera DuraXV, 4G LTE, waterproof/shockproof...
Power: Anker 10,000 mAH plus cables
Ziplock1: Minimal FAK, one pair of nitrile gloves.
Ziplock2: N-99 Isolation masks & add’l nitrile gloves.
Additional cash in a small pouch.
My Kindle for passing the time reading if it comes to that.
Readers.
Back-up locking folder & Leatherman
Back-up 1xAA LED flashlight.

All that and room for more. Any thoughts???

#295144 - 03/12/20 05:55 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Russ,
I'm not exactly sure what your situation of focus is, but I like your list in more civil places, where shelter, heat, and water are available.

After a fist aid kit discussion with the wife this morning, maybe sterile gauze in a ziploc and duct tape.

This gets me to wondering if I still have a first aid kit in my truck. It got emptied during our big move. Sigh.

#295145 - 03/12/20 05:58 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Spending a lot of time, as I do, around firearms, I carry a compact trauma kit. Maybe a couple extra batteries for your flashlight. Also, consider a Ritter PSP, a 2 person Heatsheets blanket, and some kind of water container. Maybe also some chlorine dioxide tablets.

#295146 - 03/12/20 06:12 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Spending a lot of time, as I do, around firearms, I carry a compact trauma kit. Maybe a couple extra batteries for your flashlight. Also, consider a Ritter PSP, a 2 person Heatsheets blanket, and some kind of water container. Maybe also some chlorine dioxide tablets.

Exactly. FAKs should reflect the most likely used environment. Mine is less concerned with firearms related injuries (most of the time) and is more gear toward sprains and breaks that will halt evacuation or mobility from back country.

Training is the most critical component, since you must first recognize the problem before you can do anything meaningful to correct it.

An example of lack of training from years ago. A victim shot himself in the leg, bleeding profusely. The sole measure taken by his companions was to loosen his belt. He died.

#295148 - 03/12/20 08:49 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

That is a great point: "FAKs should reflect the most likely used environment."

Thanks! And the same for hiking/bug out kits, I suppose.

In my mind I was thinking moderately serious cuts, because of what I do and my own history. Broken bones for me have just been a car ride to the ER with limited immobilization.

And, very serious injury would be a call to an ambulance. I don't go deep into the backcountry these days.

#295157 - 03/13/20 02:05 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Thanks for the responses. Not mentioned is a 20’ length of 550 paracord. I could easily drop a DR PSP in the bag, but question what would be gained. This “Bailout bag” is for a more or less benign environment (a true benign environment doesn’t require anything but a smile) where I would like to take additional gear that some here might consider EDC. EDC for me is pocket carry.

The FAK is minimal and not designed for more that small cuts/scrapes, although in addition to the band-aids it does have a 4x4 and EMT shears which may allow for expedient first aid. The FAK in the kit includes:
Quote:
3ea. 2” X 3” Fabric Bandages
3ea. Fabric Finger Tip Bandages
3ea. Fabric Knuckle Bandages
5ea. 7/8” X 3” Fabric Strip Bandages
4ea. Alcohol Prep Pad
4ea. Povidone-Iodine Prep Pad
3ea. Triple Antibiotic Ointment
1ea. 4” x 4” Gauze Pad
and 5.5” trauma shears. I may add a small roll of first aid type tape.

I won’t be adding water purification, that’s outside the scope of this bag; I might add a water bottle. I have added a 5x8 spiral notebook & pen for taking notes.

Like most kits should be, it’s a work in progress.

#295162 - 03/13/20 09:26 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Mine has: water, jacket, otc meds, sometimes a mutlitool.

#295164 - 03/13/20 11:57 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

And ... good EMT shears can cut a pizza in a real emergency!!

#295165 - 03/14/20 01:53 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Always good to have your priorities straight. wink

#295344 - 03/21/20 03:41 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I made some additions to the kit, most previously mentioned. I’m staying with the Timbuk2 XS Messenger Bag (549 ci, nylon) for now. It’s a tight fit, but it makes me prioritize to keep it minimal.

The current contents include:
Quote:
Garmin Oregon 600 GPS.
Kyocera DuraXV, 4G LTE cellphone, waterproof/shockproof...
Anker 10,000 mAh power-bank, plus cables
Ziplock1: Minimal FAK, one pair of nitrile gloves.
Ziplock2: N-99 Isolation masks & add’l nitrile gloves.
Additional cash in a small pouch.
My Kindle for passing the time reading if it comes to that.
Readers.
Leatherman.
Back-up 1xAA LED flashlight.
20’ length of 550 paracord
16 oz, Nalgene water bottle
5x8 spiral notebook & pen.

The FAK in the kit includes:
3ea. 2” X 3” Fabric Bandages
3ea. Fabric Finger Tip Bandages
3ea. Fabric Knuckle Bandages
5ea. 7/8” X 3” Fabric Strip Bandages
4ea. Alcohol Prep Pad
4ea. Povidone-Iodine Prep Pad
3ea. Triple Antibiotic Ointment
1ea. 4” x 4” Gauze Pad
1 ea. Generic/waterproof First Aid tape
5.5” trauma shears.

I’m considering going with a smaller power-bank. The Anker 10K’s weight is not insignificant and a 3350mAh PB is available that would probably be enough for the short term this bag is intended. That’s enough for two full charges on the phone, and it’s much smaller and lighter in weight.

Again, it’s a work in progress.

#295744 - 04/14/20 03:31 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I've moved up to larger water bottles; 24 or 30oz

#295747 - 04/14/20 11:28 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
During this pandemic, "bugging out" means moving from the bedroom to the kitchen to the family room, and then circling back. So my bug out gear consists of my bathrobe and slippers. And I just wear this gear, instead of stuffing it into a BOB and carrying it.

#295756 - 04/16/20 07:01 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

It is true that many of us most likely will be bugging out from town A to town B, and settle in a hotel or with relatives, but let's remember that we may get stuck in the middle and then we may need that knife or stove.

#295757 - 04/16/20 07:06 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Speaking of town A & B, I can see some use for outdoorsy or 'bushcrafty' items even after reaching town B. For example, I am planning to build another home in town B next year ( if corona allows us!!!)I will be alone (no family) in town B during the construction phase, which means I may be 'roughing it' time to time, like sleeping in the construction site and making a breakfast in the morning on a stove.

So, a few camping/bushcrafting items are not a bad idea even if you are a city guy, and the wilderness is not a regular part of your life.

#295760 - 04/17/20 02:10 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

If one ever experiences a utility interruption that lasts more than a few hours or so,camping equipment will come in very handy on several occasions, I have hauled out sleeping bags, stoves, and lights and found them very useful....

#295785 - 04/19/20 07:18 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: hikermor]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Exactly.
And there are many cases where they would be useful and helpful

A few years back before retiring, a work colleague had a dinner at home and while prepparing food, suddenly gas supply stopped. He called a few friends who brought their camping stoves and managed to make a few nice dishes for the party.

#295793 - 04/20/20 02:37 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: hikermor]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If one ever experiences a utility interruption that lasts more than a few hours or so,camping equipment will come in very handy on several occasions, I have hauled out sleeping bags, stoves, and lights and found them very useful....

+1. half of my gear for prepping eventually gets used by my 2 boy scouts, lol

My wife used to think I was paranoid. Since 90% of my preps have come in useful, now he just rolls her eyes at me....

wink

#296083 - 05/13/20 06:41 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I think another way to approach a BOB is to have a shelf of gear to add if necessary.

#299702 - 08/10/21 07:50 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

An inconvenient acronym B.U.T. (bug out truck)

#299973 - 09/09/21 07:02 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I'm hoping some you tuber does a comparison between what they packed for an event (i.e. Hurricane) vs. what they really used.

#299978 - 09/10/21 03:33 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

I live very urban in the NY-NJ Metro Area. I have basically 3 different emergency kits.

One for my high rise apartment, assuming no electricity but availability of running water ( ususally not a problem since it’s a gravity system and gave us sufficient pressure to get water on the sseventh floor , with no pumps, even after Super Storm Sandy. If water is out for more than 3 days ,I need to relocate or get deliveries. I also need to refill my 8 , 5 gallon water cans. With some notice ,I can fill an oversized tub and get 40-50 gallons of water storage for cleaning and toilet flushing.

My second kits are in both my and my wife’s car. The goal is to be able to get in the car with 4 adults and no thought of needing to survive a calamity and if we get stuck in the car , we have enough food,water and equipment to survive for at least 72 hours. Not in great comfort , but we’ll make it in one piece, in any weather. Our cars , medium size SUVs with all wheel drive, We have a strap cutters in a visor pack, 4D cell, Maglites with drop-inLED bulbs, no leak batteries and window breaker end caps + xtra batteries, phone charging cables,each have a good tool kit ( SPAX tool, 21” Ti pry-bar, 24” bolt cutter, tow cable, reflective vest & triangles, chem lights and magnetic holders,jump cables, hack saw w. rod blades, emergency tire inflator sealant cans, and are also a camper.s loaded backpack, lifeboat rations, hard candies, and other survival items blankets, canned multi wick candles, small folding stove to hold the candles, , 10-12 25oz. water bottles, General Ecology hand pump water purifier, some cash, portable CB radios with battery packs, small inverters, etc..

My third kit is my EDC , city roaming kit, which underwent a complete redesign after 911. I wasn’t at the Towers, but I was close enough to watch the first tower fall, in vivid horrifying detail, with my unaided eyes.. So now if I’m in the City or nearin thereto ,I carry a small leather unisex leather backpack, ( coated in Snow-Seal ) about 8-9 liter capacity., 8-10 lb.s full, 2 Kyldex bag carry patches sewed to the bottom and waterproofed. Besides everyday meds (3x) , a waterproof pill bottle with Advil, ES Tylenol, caffeine pills, pseudoephedrine tabs , 8x 81mg. chewable children’s aspirin, Lomotil, generic Benadryl, a boo-boo kit ( which additionally includes splinter tweezers and dental repair/ cap glue kit), black tea bag( for oral bleeding or tea), 8-10 Wet Ones foil packets,, sewing kit, wax ear plugs, compressed towel disc, , flat plastic brush, hair gel in a waterproof pill box, disposable tooth brush waterproof pad ,space type pen, tissues, etc. a small plastic door wedge, I have an enhanced IFAK ( including Izzy type bandages , 2x TK-4 tourniquets, hemostatic gauze, nasal airway, chest seals , 8”x5” Combine Sterile Pad, 3” tight rolled vet wrap) and the knowledge to use it. XCaper Evac Mask and swim goggles, N-95 masks, nitrile gloves, extra liner socks, light Kevlar / leather gloves, sil-cloth poncho , yellow bandanna, Adventure Medical alumininzed blanket ( 2 person), e-light headlamp, + extra button batteries and 2AA flashlight with lithium batteries, Bic lighter and some hurricane matches + some tinder, small compass, extra eye-glasses, $500 in smallish bills, xtra credit card, photo of driver’s license , medical info, and a passport card, water purifier straw, water pur tabs ,and empty plastic liter water bags, fling plastic coffee filter holder and 4 paper filters ( small water bottle hung on plastic loop on outside of bag) , some M&Ms, hard candy and a 4 way sil-cock key. 10’ 2” flat rolled Gorilla Tape & 25’ 400’ test Kevlar cord. My IPhone has a Mophie battery case around it and survival apps. I also carry a LM Wave Tool, sometimes. I also maintain space for optional carry of an 8in Knipex wire cutter and an 12” Ti nail puller pry -bar. But that option is rarely utilized. There are many venues which will not allow even s small Swiss Army Knife. It’s a problem and requires some pre-planning. Basically airliner rules. This is in practice an E & E or Get Home bag, to get me out of a smoke filled subway tunnel , high-rise fire, patch-up me or mine, after a major trauma event , assist me in walking home and yet not look like I’m a traveling survivalist crazy when I walk into an nice restaurant or a Lincoln Center event.

Edited by Acropolis50 (09/10/21 04:52 PM)

#299982 - 09/10/21 12:22 PM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

That’s a good list Acropolis50.

#300001 - 09/12/21 08:22 AM Re: Your bug out bag has the wrong gear [Re: chaosmagnet]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

Coming from you, Chaosmagnet, I consider that ‘high praise’ indeed. It has been a work in progress for many decades and seen different sizes and emphasizes. They say that armies always prepare for the last war and , as u can see, my preps 911/ accident centric: 1) Get me/ us out of here, that is the scene of the calamity ’( preferably in one piece,); 2) Fix me/ us up, from a first -aid standpoint, at least we’ll enough to get to or transported to hospital; and 3) Help me/us walk home in a long day’s walk or without overnight stay in a makeshift shelter ( a hallway, overpass, poncho lean-to, etc.). I hope I have planned well enough for the next ugly surprise!

It is not a hike out , iNCH or tactical bag. Where would I walk or even take a transport to an area that is appreciable less dense, in any reasonable time? I’m not into fantasy preps. . On 911 it was ‘ Shanks Mare ‘ , except for the NY Little Ship Flotilla, ( Google it. It is an amazing story and there is a great ~20min.video. Those spontaneous, unorganized volunteers and ferry operators, got more people off Manhattan Island ,in one day ,than the Brits got out of Dunkirk in a week.).It does not presume a Zombie apocalypse or societal breakdown.

The planned for calamity does not really include NBC threats except the nitrile gloves, N-95 mask, poncho(?) , goggles & Purell. More prep in this regard would require prohibitively heavy/ expensive equipment and would never allow me to get into many public venues that do searches, e.g. museums, etc.

It is also not a bag full of weapons and weapon related equipment. It’s NYC/ NJ. Cops everywhere in Mid-town and Downtown Manhattan and every entertainment venue. Crime isn’t really much of a concern where we live and recreate, if u use a modicum of street smarts ( now called “ situational awareness”) and both my wife and I are born and bread City Rats.

Pepper spray is legal , under some conditions and that could be used for aggressive 2 & 4 footed animals. But we can’t carry it into venues. Altho I’m in good shape for a near geezer, I need a cane to lean on if I’m going to be on my feet for several hours, due to spinal surgery and metal implants some years ago. I have a collection of sturdy hickory crook canes and some Blackthorn sticks from Shillelagh in Ireland. In my earlier life I participated in martial arts with my son , so use of a cane for such needs is not altogether foreign to me. And, as told to me by a police officer friend, just a strong grip ready grip on your sturdy stick, erect posture , eye contact ( but not staring) and a determined look, will, cause a majority of bad guys to choose an easier ‘ mark’. They’re not usually in looking for anyone who will fight back and just might hurt one of them. Life experience has proved his advice to be a truism, at least,since the end of the Crack epidemic, many years ago. It s true, Crack Kills ( it’s users).

I’d very much appreciate your comments and those of any of our colleagues, on equipment suggestions ,challenges to present equipment or needs, scenarios prepared for, etc.

PS: I just just tried , unsuccessfully, to add to my list an item I forgot, MY SONY ARM BAND, AM-FM, EAR BUD RADIO. ( 2AAA Lithium batteries remover and carried in a small zip-lol). ( Now out of production.But there are generic equivalents that work fine.). But there is not edit option now, on that post , to add the radio. Does the edit option iexpire?

Edited by Acropolis50 (09/12/21 07:12 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 467 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.