The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#295640 - 04/06/20 01:30 PM Re: Revising and updating your EDC [Re: Chisel]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I have been putting a layer of duct or electricians tape on the side of my altoid box storage tins, knife handles, and nalgene bottles. sometimes I tuck a sewing needle or saw blade underneath it.

#299511 - 07/26/21 10:35 PM Re: Revising and updating your EDC [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Ordered new water filters for kits

#299728 - 08/14/21 11:29 PM Re: Revising and updating your EDC [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Now carrying extra fob batteries in the car,

#299731 - 08/15/21 06:23 AM Re: Revising and updating your EDC- Best flat roll [Re: Chisel]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

I’ve found that the most compact way to carry a flat roll of 2” Gorilla Tape is to use clear plastic report cover. Purchase it at Staples or equivalent. Cut a strip 2 1/8” x ( length of roll desired. Strart by affixing tape completely on length of one side . Continue rolling thereafter until the desired length is achieved, being careful to layer straight, one row on top of another. Finish in the middle of a length and fold over a 1/4 “ or 1 2” lip to begin unfolding when desired.

#299732 - 08/15/21 07:05 AM Re: Revising and updating your EDC [Re: Janysboy]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

I carry 12” of 2” Gorilla tape rolled around my medium size Bison pill fob , attached to my key chain. Gives me sealing tape, emergency wound closure and makeshift first-aid for sucking chest wound. The fob is filled with 4 chewable 81mg. baby aspirin tabs, 4 tiny, Jet Alert caffeine tablets, 2 generic Benadryl tabs, 2-4 generic pseudoephedrine tablets and 3 generic ibuprofen tabs. Gives me basic heart attack first-aid, basic anaphylactic treatment/sleep aid, sinus attack meds, pain/ inflammation relief and taking the caffine & pseudo together gives a legal energy boost according to Cody Lundin. I wish the capsule were just a bit bigger, so I could add 2000mg. of genericTylenol. Recent reports I’ve read state that 2 Advil, 1000mg. of Tylenol and 65mg. of Caffine have the pain killing effect of a mild narcotic. NOTE: NONE OF THE ABOVE IS INTENDED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. I’M JUST REPORTING WHAT I’VE READ AND UNDERSTOOD. ALWAYS CHECK USE OF ALL MEDICINES WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE USE.

#299739 - 08/17/21 05:53 AM Re: Revising and updating your EDC [Re: Acropolis50]
Alan_Romania Offline
Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Acropolis50
Recent reports I’ve read state that 2 Advil, 1000mg. of Tylenol and 65mg. of Caffeine have the pain killing effect of a mild narcotic.

There have been a number of studies over the years that show Caffeine and Acetaminophen (Tylenol) combined is more effective at pain management than any of the common OTC pain relievers and could be used in place of narcotics in some circumstances.

Mixing Caffeine, Acetaminophen and Aspirin has been around for a LONG time, Excedrin for example, that works well on headaches especially migraines.

Recently a study came out that shows Acetaminophen (600mg), Ibuprofen (400mg) and Caffeine (15mg) work well in managing pain post molar removal, but the study didn't compare it directly to any narcotic pain medications.

In other countries you can buy Acetaminophen (325mg), Ibuprofen (200mg) and Caffeine (40mg) combined OTC and the FDA in the US just approved Ibuprofen/Acetaminophen mix OTC.

If there is a study that show Acetaminophen/Ibuprofen/Caffeine to be as effective as Narcotics I haven't been able to find one. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that they work well and appears to be safe as long as you can tolerate them individually... Follow the recommended doses/timing of each of them individually.

#299756 - 08/18/21 05:38 AM Re: Revising and updating your EDC [Re: Alan_Romania]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

Alan: My cousin the (IMO very learned) Oral Surgeon, some time back, told me of a blurb from a medical journal she had read, discussing the effectiveness of the Tylenol,Advil/ caffeine mix, in the dosages I described. It was in the context of post oral surgery pain relief . She said the article said that mixture worked as well, in early ( anecdotal) reports, as the mild narcotics or Motrin, often prescribed for such post surgical pain She also mentioned that she had tried it herself, as had some family members and found it worked as effectively as stated. But if you took my use of the word “ reports” to mean formal studies, then no, I haven’t read any to the that effect.. However, adding to the anecdotal evidence, the combo has worked for both my wife and me, after dental l surgery.

#299794 - 08/22/21 02:52 AM Re: Revising and updating your EDC [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Good tip - this blend is esp. useful for migraines.
Will add to kit.

#299974 - 09/09/21 11:13 PM Re: Revising and updating your EDC [Re: teacher]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
We have brands like Panadol Extra (Paracetamol 500mg & Caffeine 65mg) in the UK as over the counter drugs.

Anadin Extra brand combines Aspirin 300mg, Paracetamol 200mg & Caffeine 45mg

Codeine, Paracetamol & Caffeine is another common combination.

Whilst Ibuprofen is over the counter, not aware of a combined tablet, at least a well known brand over here.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.