Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#294867 - 02/20/20 02:00 AM Re: Heat Rescue Disaster Recovery [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
US GI M67 gasoline drip immersion heaters worked pretty well 50years ago for a lot of hot water

#294868 - 02/20/20 03:50 AM Re: Heat Rescue Disaster Recovery [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Due to the sudden and unanticipated failure of our hot water heater, for the last three days I have been heating water for dish washing and showers. I have learned a thing or two.

For showers. I have used my solar shower; unfortunately solar heating is not very effective in February. I have been heating water on our stove and I learned one thing for sure. You don't want to deal with a large container of hot water; smaller is better(and safer!) There are all kinds of camping stoves,using liquid, gas, or solid fuels that can quickly heat reasonable quantities of water (one gallon or less). For that matter, a solar shower works very well when the sun is out long enough. I have used one quite satisfactorily for days at a time during the summer and fall.

This episode with the hot water heater has been instructive to me - how to use camping gear when the utilities go on the fritz, as they would do in most disasters.

Dealing with failed or absent utilities is a tricky business and everyone's situation and environment will vary, as will the best solutions.

#294870 - 02/20/20 05:32 AM Re: Heat Rescue Disaster Recovery [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I hope you get the hot water situation squared away, hikermor! It's no fun doing it 'the old fashioned way.' wink

#294872 - 02/20/20 01:58 PM Re: Heat Rescue Disaster Recovery [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I'll be in hot water soon!! The new unit is to be installed today. But it was certainly an educational episode..

#294875 - 02/20/20 05:53 PM Re: Heat Rescue Disaster Recovery [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
just a comment from hurricane lessons learned... a dedicated (no pesticides) pump up garden sprayer painted black provides pressure for a quick rinse shower.... some videos availaable on those equipped with a smaller hand shower head....

a 75' length of 3/4" hose will hold about 2 1/2 gallons of water, and in bright Florida July sun reached 165F in one hour... as hikermore commented small amounts to handle safely

a 2mil contractor bag filled with 2 1/2gal of water, laid flat in a sunny surface with air removed from bag so that the bag touched the top surface of the water... open end held up by a 2x4 and second placed on top to seal from wind will also near the 165F number in one hour... this is very dangerous to handle... be prepared to dip out the water with a sauce pan

I have multiple propane camping stoves, but the one I really like for quick heat is a Gas One asian style flat single burner that can use butane cylinders or has an adapter hose for 1# propane (that I use)

#294876 - 02/20/20 08:15 PM Re: Heat Rescue Disaster Recovery [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
different places, different experiences.

Current 6 degrees Fahrenheit in Nebraska, pretty sure my shower would freeze...

I could heat a gallon or two to use in a garden sprayer--I keep one or two around... If it comes down to it, I would be more worried about heating my KIDS than my water at this time of the year.

I agree with Les for Summetime....

Hmm.
I wonder if a camp shower would heat up from inside of my windows?

#294878 - 02/20/20 08:59 PM Re: Heat Rescue Disaster Recovery [Re: LCranston]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: LCranston
Current 6 degrees Fahrenheit in Nebraska,

I wish you could send some of that to Florida. We're sweating down here.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294880 - 02/21/20 01:46 PM Re: Heat Rescue Disaster Recovery [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: LCranston
Current 6 degrees Fahrenheit in Nebraska,

I wish you could send some of that to Florida. We're sweating down here.

Thank you for the cold weather you sent. We did need it.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.