Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#295178 - 03/14/20 05:23 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

The Saudi gov had shut down the holy sites for a few days, dinsinfected everything, and then built a circular wall around the Kaabah ( the black cubic building in the center). This is importnat cuz every pilgrim tries to touch and kiss it. Now they can see it but not touch it. Moreover, Friday prayers have been suspended in all the country's mosques. Actually similar prayers suspension had taken place in neighboring countries like the UAE and Kuwait.

Lets' hope it helps.

#295179 - 03/14/20 05:26 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: jds]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I got a question folks.

In a few days , some workers are coming home to work (electric, plumbing ..etc.) They may use some of my tools and stuff ( ladder ..etc.) My question is : how many days should I leave the ladder out in the open (under the sun) before I am confident the virus have died.

I have read a few articles about Corona sticking to surfaces for 12-24 hours, and some said 9 days. Any definitive answers ??

Thanks

#295180 - 03/14/20 05:36 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

In some local discussion groups, some folks were upset about the continuous negative news. OTOH, some ppl showed a lot of irresposible behavior. Gov has stopped school and shifted to online education .. etc. Some folks took it as a vacation or holiday mad

Completely irresponsible. But I think enough condemnatioon were voiced that some has become wiser.

Question is , do you draw a line between continuos alarms to push irresponsible ppl to become wiser, or do you take the faint-hearted into consideration and stop it.

One doctor for example had warned youger ppl that if someone gets Corona, most younger healthier ppl will survive but the senior ones in their family won't make it. I fall in the 65-70 years category that he talked about. I for one processed the info rather logicall. A cousin of mine processed the info emotionally and freaked out. He asked us to stop the discussion.

#295181 - 03/14/20 06:00 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Chisel
In a few days , some workers are coming home to work (electric, plumbing ..etc.) They may use some of my tools and stuff ( ladder ..etc.) My question is : how many days should I leave the ladder out in the open (under the sun) before I am confident the virus have died.

Many places I've lived, leaving a ladder outside led to burglaries being committed with them. I don't know if your neck of the woods has that issue, but something to think about.

My best understanding as a non-scientist, non-medical professional, is that the COVID19 virus can live on surfaces up to three days in a lab environment. Out in full sun I'd be confident in one day -- the Sun's UV radiation kills viruses quickly. Out in steady rain I'd be confident in one hour.

If you can spare a disinfectant wipe or two, I'd probably wipe it down and put it away immediately. If you have an open bottle of bleach, use a capful of bleach in a cup of water, a paper towel and a kitchen glove, and wipe it down with that. Hot soapy water will work as well, but require more work. Remember, though, that bottles of bleach start turning into water once they're opened.

#295182 - 03/14/20 06:10 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks

Burglary is not an issue, and I don't like to use sanitizer on something that big. I will definitely miss a spot or two.

#295183 - 03/14/20 06:12 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: jds]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I just watched a YouTube vid, and the doctor says the virus is new, but guessing from other Coroniruses, he guess-timates a 9 day period.

Wow. That is serious

#295184 - 03/14/20 06:47 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: jds]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
https://apnews.com/fe0239e95b8ad1037639ed833b990e48

Was the latest I've seen on surfaces

#295227 - 03/16/20 12:51 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: Chisel]
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
Originally Posted By: Chisel
The Saudi gov had shut down the holy sites for a few days, dinsinfected everything, and then built a circular wall around the Kaabah ( the black cubic building in the center). This is importnat cuz every pilgrim tries to touch and kiss it. Now they can see it but not touch it. Moreover, Friday prayers have been suspended in all the country's mosques. Actually similar prayers suspension had taken place in neighboring countries like the UAE and Kuwait.

Lets' hope it helps.

I am not sure it will:(

I have spent a lot of time in KSA consulting and managing airports and specifically in one of the two airports dedicated for the pilgrim operations. My last assignment ended last year so I am very fresh on the plans, procedures and policies etc. as well as the routine and the life of both locals and visitors over there. The closing of holly sites etc is just like closing two stations of NY subway and showing it on media. The real pilgrim season will begin by the end of July so it is more like touristic visits now (non mandatory). Pilgrim or not these people are mostly old people and the whole thing is very tiresome and already takes a big toll on their health even without a pandemic. The pilgrimage or these visits out of season are not individual travels. It is the worlds biggest mass transit operation concerning millions of people.

In Turkey until 2 days ago it was only 5 or 6 cases which were confirmed virus positive. Now a mass return of off season pilgrims from Saudia has started from their visit after the closures. It is already more than 20K people back to Turkey from KSA and they are being quarantined in mass in University Dormitories. Time will show if this will be effective.

#295231 - 03/16/20 06:19 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: ratstr]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I agree with you about the seriousness of the Hajj(pilgrimage) season (last days of July). But I was referring to the current situation these days.

As a muslim myself, I am worried actually about several other factors even for those who are not going to Hajj. One is the Eid ( celebration days after completion of Hajj or completing the fasting month of Ramadhan). All muslims will be celebrating in their own countries ( visits, free food for all ..etc. ) This worries me a great deal.

What will happen in the month of Ramadhan(24 April to 23 May) is also something to worry about. Even if we assume some successful control on Hajj (given its geographical and specific time considerations), Ramadhan is everywhere, in every city and village, all kinds of people , some of whom will never agree with any restrictions whatsover, and no gov can enforce. One example I am watching these days is severl ppl marching towards holy shrines in Iraq despite Fatwas (religious orders) and gov instructions to stay home. Now if the clergy themselves can't control such people, I really don't know what can. Defintely number of ppl marching will be less that the usual numbers every year, but you never know who spreads the virus.

Another example is "God's feasts" in Egypt during the fasting month of Ramadhan. Many many people establish free food tents or tables in the streets to feed the public. It is so popular culture that even some non Muslims offer these feasts. Same in India and Pakistan. I don't know if anyone can stop it.

I am just hoping people become wiser

#295236 - 03/16/20 09:43 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: jds]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Chisel,

We will never stop everyone, we will just do the best we can.

Every bit helps. One less infected person to spread things.

Is there a way to continue this tradition in such a way to reduce risks? Pre-packaged food, so less cross contamination?

Ask NOW, so it can get advertised and blessed NOW. Then you can honor the traditions, but reduce the risk.

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.