Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11
Topic Options
#295239 - 03/17/20 05:07 AM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: LCranston]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Yes, pre-packaged foods are distributed too. Just an hour before sunset , volunteers stand at most traffic lights rushing to distribute these packages. But even the packages themselves can spread the disease. I think if the CV mess continues to Ramadhan, this kind of distribution will be banned by gov.

#295240 - 03/17/20 05:19 AM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: jds]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

OK, let me share with you other news about people who trying to make a change.

# An Iraqi young man in his tailor shop, sees the severe shortage of face masks, so he starts sewing and freely distributing face masks made of cloth. I don't know how effective they are but the are definitely better than nothing, and they are washable and reusable.

# A teacher has a simple YouTube channel, sees the ban on schools and works day and night to produce more educational videos, and learns how to make them better quality.

# Several hotel owners in Iraq gave their hotels to gov to use as quaranteens.

The list goes on and on and on.
Great spirit for tough times.

#295241 - 03/17/20 06:28 AM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: jds]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
As we've seen with TP hoarders and the dude that bought up 18,000 bottles of hand sanitizer, there are always going to be some bad apples that try to profit off of the misery of others. But I believe pretty strongly in the fundamental goodness of humanity. For every bad apple I've seen ten folks looking for ways to help.

#295244 - 03/17/20 03:20 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: Phaedrus]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
As we've seen with TP hoarders and the dude that bought up 18,000 bottles of hand sanitizer, there are always going to be some bad apples that try to profit off of the misery of others. But I believe pretty strongly in the fundamental goodness of humanity. For every bad apple I've seen ten folks looking for ways to help.

Indeed, I consider that excessive purchasing of toilet paper, hand sanitiser, or anything else during an emergency is anti social as others are thereby deprived. I avoid doing this.

I have a large supply of toilet paper, and of many other commodities, but these were obtained years ago and simply provided a little welcome extra trade. I very much doubt that my historic bulk purchase deprived anyone else.

I had only very limited supplies of hand sanitiser, but did have large stocks of the ingredients to make my own.

#295248 - 03/17/20 07:36 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: jds]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

We went to Costco this morning at 10:00 AM expecting a crowd, but we needed a few things (Not TP). The line to get in went almost entirely around the building!!!!!!! Costco was only letting in 10 at a time. People are nuts!
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#295249 - 03/17/20 08:30 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
This too shall pass. Once this initial hoarding is over and people realize they don’t have storage space for additional 24/48 rolls of TP and their freezers are full of the frozen peas I couldn’t buy yesterday, things should return to normal.

I’ve been buying a little here, little there for weeks and then suddenly this past weekend the panic lightbulb turned on for so many people all at once — very annoying.

#295250 - 03/17/20 08:51 PM Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading [Re: jds]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
If I don't die of COVID-19 and have the opportunity to look back at this thread in a month or three, it may be that in hindsight my attitude was pollyannaish but I think the worst of the panic won't last long. That is unless, of course, the death toll surges exponentially. In in Bozeman we've had the standard run on TP, sanitizer and all the common military ammo calibers (eg 9mm and 5.56) but there's still food in the stores and people aren't acting completely insane. Hopefully that doesn't go out the window once we get our first confirmed case.

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.