Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 16 of 20 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 >
Topic Options
#294568 - 01/15/20 04:31 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Note that ERs and ORs are generally well lighted locations. i dare say Romania has treated victims in less well lit spots. I know I have. Being able to see is a very good idea, especially when both hands are busy, conducting an exam, staunching the flow of blood, bandaging, etc. to say nothing of CPR.

You can of course, hold the light in your mouth while doing all those activities. But it is hard to keep from drooling on the victim, and that just doesn't look good.

All in all, a headlamp makes good sense. But why should you pay attention to experienced practitioners?

Edited by hikermor (01/15/20 04:33 PM)

#294569 - 01/15/20 05:34 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
As I said, "for now, I don't see it. Maybe later." "Maybe later" means I may add one at some unknown date in the future.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
But why should you pay attention to experienced practitioners?

I've added many items that members of this forum have recommended: Fresnel lens, more gloves, safety glasses, scalpel, blood pressure kit and stethoscope.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294570 - 01/15/20 06:33 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
A headlamp is an extremly handy and practial flashlight no matter what you use it for.

Edited by Herman30 (01/15/20 06:34 PM)

#294571 - 01/15/20 07:19 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
I was making a joke... but to make a point, if you are building a comprehensive medical kit for austere/survival/disaster preparedness it should have a headlamp.

#294572 - 01/15/20 10:08 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Alan_Romania]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
but to make a point, if you are building a comprehensive medical kit for austere/survival/disaster preparedness it should have a headlamp.

I agree, what if something happens in a place where itīs dark and no streetlights etc. You have the needed medical kit but itīs almost pitch dark. Very difficult to give proper help to victim if only light is a handheld flashlight.

Edited by Herman30 (01/15/20 10:10 PM)

#294573 - 01/15/20 10:38 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I can understand how having a headlamp may seem to be 'extra' to the basics of a first aid kit. For a stripped down kit with the bare essentials (that fit your specific needs) a headlamp may not be a critical item.

However, working and training with cops, prison/jail staff, emergency management and other first responder types I usually see they have a flashlight - the really experienced and seasoned people also have a headlamp to supplement the flashlight. I worked rural areas along with modern state-of-the art detention facilities and having a headlamp to use while working a scene such as an accident, assault or power loss having the headlamp was a literal life saver. I fits in a pocket or as part of a pouch very easily.

I currently have several of them and routinely carry one with me. There are several very small, light weight but bright ones available that are no bigger than a box of tic-tac mints.
Example of one I have: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Ion-Headlamp-Size/dp/B01M0WXGM4/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

YMMV but having a headlamp in a kit that is anything beyond the bare basics can be invaluable. They don't cost much and can be very small - I haven't had an actual emergency use for one in several years now but if/when it comes up I be very happy I've got it.

#294576 - 01/16/20 02:05 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Regarding headlamp and penlights,
classic TV technique is
penlight in the mouth,
often after getting mud and blood on the hands and the penlight,
tastes delicious smile
With an elevated heart rate
people forget about where the flashlight has been

#294578 - 01/16/20 03:04 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I may have to remove something to include a headlamp. Which brand do you recommend?

Jeanette Isabelle

#294580 - 01/16/20 05:44 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I am late to the headlamp party. In years past I had a couple of bulky Streamlight lamps and didn't find them useful. But that changed when I got a small Petzl Tikkina! Now I have maybe 8-10 Petzl headlamps about 8-10 Black Diamond lamps. IMO they're both great and have superb options from $15-$100.

#294581 - 01/16/20 06:47 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
There are a number of great headlamps on the market, my first question would be what batteries you prefer. These are my favorites by battery type.

AA: ThruNite TH20 This is my favorite headlight of any battery type for patient care.

AAA: Princeton Tec Remix

CR123: Princeton Tec Remix-Pro

All three of these headlamps are small, light and durable. I prefer the ThruNite because it takes AA or 14500 rechargeable, has good range of light from super low to bright enough for trail running (especially with 14500 batteries). This is the light that I carry in my briefcase and at work for medical calls.

The Remix lights are both great options, especially if you want an alternative color light to preserve night vision. I have a couple of these with green secondary LEDs for various applications.

Page 16 of 20 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.