Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#295337 - 03/21/20 07:17 AM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
One thing I love about the GoRuck line is the clamshell opening. I'll never go back to a top loader except for my ultralight backpacking.

#295362 - 03/22/20 10:52 AM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Does that have a frame? If not it's worthless. Just try carrying any amount of weight without a frame and you'll soon see why..
again and again one sees survivalist sac contents gear recommendations and before they start you think 'that's a bad choice of pack, why should I trust your opinion?'

qjs

#295363 - 03/22/20 11:45 AM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The GoRuck packs have an internal frame sheet. It works well, for me, with fairly heavy loads for the size of the pack. I expect that with the largest pack (the GR3) if it was packed more heavily than I use it that the frame sheet wouldn’t be good enough,.

#295383 - 03/23/20 02:25 AM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: chaosmagnet]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
The GoRuck packs have an internal frame sheet. It works well, for me, with fairly heavy loads for the size of the pack. I expect that with the largest pack (the GR3) if it was packed more heavily than I use it that the frame sheet wouldn’t be good enough,.

I have most of the GoRucks. The frame sheet on the GR3 is very thick and stiff compared to the others. The pack will easily support more weight than I am capable of carrying.

#299181 - 06/25/21 01:43 AM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Look for a padded hipbelt and get a frame size that fits your torso

#299196 - 06/26/21 08:01 AM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

One great things about real military gear is it's built tough. We ask manufacturers to make indestructible gear that weighs nothing. It's not possible, so gear is too flimsy. The military ignore their customers and make it strong enough. Straps are long enough too. ONLY military issue packs have straps long enough to fit extra gear under the lid. Civilian ones often are barely closable. Very useful if it's a wet tent! Or just to increase the capacity. One downside is they often have a drain hole. For civilian use that's just a way of getting wet contents if you put your pack down in a puddle.
Anyone know a way to seal them?
Qjs

#299197 - 06/26/21 08:28 AM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Another minor advantage with military gear is you can afford it. Mass production and the mass of used ones on the net means you can get very well made stuff at ridiculousky cheap prices.
You'll never see this mentioned in the mags. Their advertisers aren't going to thank them for telling the readers they can get the same quality at half the price on ebay!&#128522;
Qjs

#299198 - 06/26/21 03:41 PM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
When I started hiking and climbing in the 1950s,milsurp was about the only source available. Then, as now, it was cheap, durable, drab, and durable - also typically on the heavy side.

Today, civvie gear has developed to the point where it often the most suitable, but for a price. Often, the higher price is a good value, but stay alert, there are still good milsurp bargains available.

One of the main markets for milsurp are "survivalists" for whom "survival"= military combat. complete with all the trimmings. That is a whole different story.

Edited by hikermor (06/26/21 03:42 PM)

#299199 - 06/26/21 06:47 PM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: quick_joey_small]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
One great things about real military gear is it's built tough. We ask manufacturers to make indestructible gear that weighs nothing. It's not possible, so gear is too flimsy. The military ignore their customers and make it strong enough. Straps are long enough too. ONLY military issue packs have straps long enough to fit extra gear under the lid. Civilian ones often are barely closable. Very useful if it's a wet tent! Or just to increase the capacity. One downside is they often have a drain hole. For civilian use that's just a way of getting wet contents if you put your pack down in a puddle.
Anyone know a way to seal them?
Qjs
I'm going to push back on this. Seems like we've had this discussion before. One reason military gear is built extremely tough (hence extremely heavy) is because military troops often need to carry massive loads of gear. It is not uncommon for troops to carry well over 70 lb (32 kg) loads. Very few civilian hikers carry that sort of load. Military gear also often has lots of molle and other attachment points for mag pouches and other military gear, which adds weight. Most civilian hikers I see with military packs don't actually use a fraction of the molle features on their packs. But all that green molle does look tacticool! Regarding "ONLY military issue packs have straps long enough to fit extra gear under the lid. Civilian ones often are barely closable.", you need to look around more. Lots of well designed civilian packs have long straps.

In my opinion, the best compromise between weight, durability, and useful features are packs designed for technical climbing. My current favorite pack is the Black Diamond Speed 40. It's lightweight, and plenty sturdy. It has an inner sleeve so can be extended for larger loads. The straps are plenty long enough. No useless molle attachment points. The climbing specific features, such as crampon straps, are easily removable. A clean, simple, but functional design. Tested on some of the most challenging climbs in the world. That one is my favorite, but there are other good designs out there.

For those few hikers that truly need to carry massive loads, there are other good civilian models to choose from. For example, see the Frontier Gear of Alaska Freighter Frame.
If you need to pack a massive load, this is the frame you want. They also make bags to go on that frame. Bullet proof construction. And it's even green colored!

While military gear is good for it's intended users, it isn't usually the best choice for civilian hikers. There are lots of good designs out there which are more appropriate for most users.

Edited by AKSAR (06/26/21 07:22 PM)

#299202 - 06/26/21 07:27 PM Re: Thoughts on "tactical" backpacks. [Re: teacher]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Glad you mention pack frames. They are just the thing for heavy loads. I once carried a fossil mammoth jawbone about a mile and asked that the load be weighed - total was 95 pounds.

We must have served in different armies. In basic training, they gave us cardboard to fill out our empty packs, albeit heavy, so they would appear full....

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.