The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#294309 - 12/04/19 08:29 PM Nifty small headlamp
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just recently obtained a Quokka, a small headlamp manufactured by Knog, an Australian company that makes bicycle lights and similar items. it is mall and compact - the entire unit weighs less than 2 ounces. I have been using mine about a week and I am very satisfied.

The light contains a wide beam, a focus (distance beam, a red LED light, all contained in an integrated unit with a male USB fitting which slips into a silicone headband (various colors). the headbnd at full extension fits comfortably around my 7 1/4 noggin. I would need to work up some kind of fixture to fit it on a climbing helmet or similar, but I am sure that is possible.

I have not done any actual night hiking with this unit, but using around the house at night, i am positive ti would work well. I have hiked many miles with lights that were far less bright. The unit emits a max 80 lumens (both spot and wide beams working together) for two and one half hours. Both LEDs are adjustable and long run times are available. the red LED is said to shine for about 80 hours.

Do pay attention to the instructions, especially master the lock function since the unit will turn on very easily if not locked.

This light is available only from REI in the USA, with whom I have no connection other than a satisfied customer.

Knog offers two year warranton on the unit, but only six months on the battery, which is puzzling, since the battery or something similar is integrated into the unit and not obviously separable. It is not clear how that would function.

Anyway, this is a light, bright headlamp that shoud be ery useful...

#294310 - 12/04/19 09:15 PM Re: Nifty small headlamp [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I will have to check my local REI store! Thanks for the heads up.

#294313 - 12/05/19 08:56 AM Re: Nifty small headlamp [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Other tiny USB rechargeable headlights options are:
Petzl Bindi
Nitecore UL25

Both have more lumens and appear to have better performance.

#294314 - 12/05/19 01:45 PM Re: Nifty small headlamp [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Knog Quokka at REI — interesting, but my Fenix HL23 takes NiMH AA’s as well as Lithium primaries which can easily be swapped out. No need for any down time while the light recharges.

#294315 - 12/05/19 02:43 PM Re: Nifty small headlamp [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I think that rechargeable or replaceable batteries are dependent on your concept of use.

- With a USB rechargeable one; you can make sure to batteries are full, by recharging them every night during a trip.

- With a replaceable one; you replace them when needed.

So the question becomes; is replacing when needed or recharging them beforehand better. (yes, you can replace batteries every night too, but that isn't space/weight efficient).

Also when a headlight is essential; the best spare battery is stored in another headlight. Those rechargeable headlights are lighter than models that take batteries when you include the battery weight.

The Petzl Bindi is 35grams with battery, the Fenix HL23 is 52grams without battery. So 2x petzl bindi's would be 70 grams, but a Fenix with 2 batteries is 100 (52 grams + 2x ~23grams for AA alkalines). So more weight and less redundancy if you go for the Fenix.

#294316 - 12/05/19 11:06 PM Re: Nifty small headlamp [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am moving gradually to a situation where my small electronics, typically a cell phone, lights, and GPS, are all field rechargeable, either from each other or from a power bank which on extended projects or trips could be replenished by a solar panel, if no other source is available.

I say lights, because I go by the traditional caver's dictum of three separate light sources. Almost always I have at least a light, typically a headlamp of some sort, and a smaller backup.

Since the typical power bank incorporates at least a small LED, there is no reason to sit around and curse the darkness.

#294317 - 12/05/19 11:37 PM Re: Nifty small headlamp [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Probably a wise choice! I'm having trouble getting away from lithium batteries as they have so many advantages. But I do have some rechargeable stuff, too.

#294326 - 12/06/19 09:43 PM Re: Nifty small headlamp [Re: hikermor]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

...I scatter keychain lights through out my kits; first aid bag, survival kit, on jacket or pack, etc.

#294329 - 12/08/19 01:56 AM Re: Nifty small headlamp [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
These days, I try to find flashlights that will accept all these replaceable battery types: (1) rechargeable NiMH, (2) rechargeable LiIon, (3) primary Lithium, and (4) Alkaline. What I currently have that meet these criteria are all AA sized lights.

My brightest easily transportable flashlight is the Nitecore P12, which runs on a single LiIon 18650 or 2xCR123. That is not really for pocket carry (although it will fit, just not comfortably), but works OK in a belt holster.

I'm sure lights that meet these criteria are available in AAA as well, but I don't have any of those personally - mine would choke on the higher voltage of the rechargeable LiIon 10440's, but meet all the other requirements. My Surefire Titan Plus is a great AAA light, but lacks the ability to accept LiIon rechargeable. Still, it's 300 lumins with a single AAA NiMH, so mighty bright for its size already.

#294349 - 12/11/19 02:59 AM Re: Nifty small headlamp [Re: hikermor]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I carry this in my EDC now https://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/sidekick.html

I top it off after use or once a week.

I just got this one for a headlamp/bike light. https://princetontec.com/product/snap/

I used to standardize on AA but am moving to AAA for the smaller size/weight. With the modern LED's the smaller AAA battery powered lights can still provide plenty of light and runtime.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.