Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#294200 - 11/17/19 02:17 PM Re: Advice on small, "realistic" car emergency kit [Re: LesSnyder]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
if she is open to accept the help of a Good Samaritan, a 4 lug tire wrench

I've had to use a 1A10BC dry chemical fire extinguisher on 3 occasions... it was the minimum to just get the fire out... if you deploy with others around, give a warning for them to hold their breath before you discharge

I would second the 4-way cross bar. I was once stuck in the middle of the night with only the OEM supplied lug wrench, and ended up torquing off two lug nuts. Put a piece of duct tape on the bar that matches her lug nut size.

Example -

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-...9839&sr=8-6

#294212 - 11/18/19 09:35 AM Re: Advice on small, "realistic" car emergency kit [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Seems ok for somebody without mechanical skills.

I do always recommend a short instruction tag for things people rarely use.

Food, water and maybe something extra warm are always nice.

I have LED flares too, but changed my opinion about them over the years. Sticking them on a vehicle if your hazards don’t work, no problems. Putting a few on the ground towards the traffic, with traffic moving. I’ll just stand behind the guardrail. Seen too many crash absorbers with giant warning lights and flashing arrows getting hit.

If you are near the mountains; proper winter tires, snow chains (automatic tensioning models are highly recommended), towstrap, small shovel, mini traction plates.

#294213 - 11/18/19 01:58 PM Re: Advice on small, "realistic" car emergency kit [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sheet of clear plastic, could be a shower curtain liner even. This can be useful if a window gets broken (smash and grab, or the window fails to roll up, etc). Something clear you can tape over the window to keep rain/snow out.

#294215 - 11/19/19 12:25 AM Re: Advice on small, "realistic" car emergency kit [Re: Eugene]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Sheet of clear plastic, could be a shower curtain liner even. This can be useful if a window gets broken (smash and grab, or the window fails to roll up, etc). Something clear you can tape over the window to keep rain/snow out.

That's a great idea! Never thought of it before but that could really save the day. That and some T-Rex Tape would fix about anything.

I also second the recommendation for a warm sleeping bag. Chains are great. A shovel, traction mats and a four-way wrench are great items even if she's not that mechanically inclined. Always have some tools to self extract even if doing so might require some help from a good Samaritan.

#294216 - 11/19/19 03:14 AM Re: Advice on small, "realistic" car emergency kit [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Nice basic kit!

#294217 - 11/19/19 01:52 PM Re: Advice on small, "realistic" car emergency kit [Re: albusgrammaticus]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Thanks to everyone who contributed so far!

For those who thoughtfully recommended a 4-way tire wrench, we're good on that side as where I live they are standard issue in almost every car, my wife's included.

We just switched to snow tires for the season, so I think we're good on that part too, since snow is becoming less and less intense and frequent with every year, here in my region.

So far I plan to add, based on your suggestions:

- Bottled water
- A couple energy bars with long shelf life
- A multitool with screw bits

I forgot to mention that DW drives a small hatchback, so cargo space in the trunk is an issue. This has affected some of my choices.

Take for example the wool blanket/sleeping bag dilemma. I agree with those of you who argued that a sleeping bag provides better insulation than a blanket in an emergency situation. But the thing is, I managed to keep the wool blanket in her trunk at all times because it's a multipurpose item that we actually use in many non emergency situations, like lining the bottom of the trunk when we need to load dirty items ecc.
I think I'll have a much harder time convincing my wife to keep in trunk a bulky 4 seasons sleeping bag, "just in case".

I have the feeling that the overall size of the kit will be directly proportional to the chance for said kit to be left at home or been "temporarily" moved to the garage when the need arises to load the trunk with other bulky things. From that derives my initial assumption to limit the entire kit (blanket aside) to the contents of single small bag. Something you barely notice on normal days but is always there when you need it.

#294218 - 11/19/19 03:55 PM Re: Advice on small, "realistic" car emergency kit [Re: albusgrammaticus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Could some items be stored inalternative locations/ - underneath seats, etc...

#294220 - 11/20/19 12:58 PM Re: Advice on small, "realistic" car emergency kit [Re: albusgrammaticus]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
For folks who are not mechanically inclined, a set of emt scissors might be a good addition, or even replacement for the sak. Knife fetish aside, emt shears are remarkably versatile.

A modest amount of cord or twine would not take up much space.

A fleece jacket, hat and gloves could fit under a seat.

#294235 - 11/20/19 08:52 PM Re: Advice on small, "realistic" car emergency kit [Re: albusgrammaticus]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

My advice is not gear but rather planning;
- keep the car is good shape
- don't go out in bad weather
- have 3 ways to charge your phone
- let someone know your route
- learn safe driving skills and basic trouble shooting
-pre load appropriate apps; texting, lyft, aaa,local busses and uber

two gear additions
- a sleeping bag
- water

#294242 - 11/20/19 09:33 PM Re: Advice on small, "realistic" car emergency kit [Re: albusgrammaticus]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
@albusgrammaticus
Can you give any hint about the terrain your wife drive through? Is it flat plain or higher up? Is it a heavily trafficated road or a quiet one?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.