Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#294117 - 11/08/19 06:31 PM Also, that's probably too much paracord...
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I've seen kits with 50-100' of paracord.

#294119 - 11/08/19 07:12 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Agree, that is probably excessive. I like paracord that includes a flammable strand for fire starting. Usually in my kits, it is precut for tarp fastening, etc. into lengths about three feet or so.

#294120 - 11/08/19 08:47 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I don't know what you consider too much. Doug Ritter includes 100' of paracord in his Aviator Survival Pack.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294121 - 11/08/19 09:29 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

It really depends upon the situation and circumstances. Generally, if I have 100 feet of anything, it would be at least 9mm diameter climbing rope which often has come in handy for me in the past. Sometimes even that is not adequate.

#294122 - 11/08/19 10:46 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: hikermor]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: hikermor
It really depends upon the situation and circumstances.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

I keep Type 1 and Type 3 paracord in my various kits. In some kits I have both, some just one or the other. In my truck I keep 300' of type 1 and 100' of type 3. It takes up very little space and while not insignificant it doesn't weigh much.

#294123 - 11/08/19 11:36 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I guess it depends on the size of the kit. For me if we're talking a wilderness PSK about the minimum I'd go with is 20'-25'. Much less is asking for trouble IMO. 50' is not overkill but I don't think I'd often need 100.

My main use for cordage in a PSK is to build a shelter, normally a large mylar blanket into a lean-to or plow-point configuration. My AO is the forests of ID and MT, so most of the time I'll be pitching a tarp with a ridgeline running between two trees. Since God doesn't plant them with ridgeline spacing in mind I sometimes need more cord, sometimes less. If I have trekking poles along it's a bit easier and I don't need a ridgeline, just guylines.

So if I'm pitching a shelter and then to lash anything that 25' of cord can start getting used up.

#294125 - 11/09/19 12:43 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
100' is, like any rope, either too long or too short. It's hardly outrageous. As noted above, it depends on the purpose of the kit, the terrain, and the anticipated circumstances.

It could be quadrupled to help get a quad or small vehicle out of a rut. That eats up footage in a hurry, especially when you add knots.

Or, a longer line could permit water and warm clothing to be lowered to a person who is trapped on a ledge and awaiting rescue.

Generally speaking, for any backpack kit to be carried on foot, it's absolutely critical that the list-maker take it for a 5-10 mile schlep. This focuses the mind wonderfully, leading to all sorts of efficiencies.

#294127 - 11/09/19 03:34 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Actually, my favorite small line for rigging shelters,, etc. is mason's braided twine, which is available in reflective colors. It's lighter than paracord, and adequately strong. Paracord makes great zipper pulls (patterns have been posted by Tony E) and you have the flammable strand for emergency fire starting, at least with the paracord I prefer.

If you are unsticking vehicles, you probably are best off with a chain. On one occasion, I broke a good climbing rope pulling a vehicle across a stream. Pretty spectacular failure. Do stand to the side if you ever attempt this.

#294129 - 11/09/19 04:40 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like tarred bankline (Catahoula brand especially) very well although I do sometimes have the cheaper mason's line. I like paracord better for the ridge line though because I like the way it works in conjunction with tarred bankline (a Catahoula Prussik knot holds very well in paracord, and my repertoire of knots could be better! blush). Definitely you can get 100' of bank line or mason's line in the space of 25' of paracord.

#294131 - 11/09/19 05:09 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If you are unsticking vehicles, you probably are best off with a chain. On one occasion, I broke a good climbing rope pulling a vehicle across a stream. Pretty spectacular failure. Do stand to the side if you ever attempt this.

To clarify, paracord has no magical qualities. It can be a last-ditch bridge material for a small vehicle that only needs a mild tug, and the cord will be destroyed in the process. In that situation, give me a nylon strap any day. But sometimes you use what you have.

(And wow, aren't we consistently easy targets for teacher's regular stirring-the-pot routine? If it adds value, though ...)

#294135 - 11/09/19 12:17 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I like tarred bankline (Catahoula brand especially) very well although I do sometimes have the cheaper mason's line. I like paracord better for the ridge line though because I like the way it works in conjunction with tarred bankline (a Catahoula Prussik knot holds very well in paracord, and my repertoire of knots could be better! blush). Definitely you can get 100' of bank line or mason's line in the space of 25' of paracord.

I've noticed that all bushcraft kits include bankline. I don't know why this is; it can't be a coincidence.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294141 - 11/10/19 01:07 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I like tarred bankline (Catahoula brand especially) very well although I do sometimes have the cheaper mason's line. I like paracord better fore ridge line though because I like the way it works in conjunction with tarred bankline (a Catahoula Prussik knot holds very well in paracord, and my repertoire of knots could be better! blush). Definitely you can get 100' of bank line or mason's line in the space of 25' of paracord.

I've noticed that all bushcraft kits include bankline. I don't know why this is; it can't be a coincidence.

Jeanette Isabelle

It's strong, compact and inexpensive!

#294142 - 11/10/19 01:23 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Why isn't it included in survival kits?

Jeanette Isabelle

#294144 - 11/10/19 02:47 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe the cost?

#294146 - 11/10/19 03:57 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I like tarred bankline (Catahoula brand especially) very well although I do sometimes have the cheaper mason's line. I like paracord better fore ridge line though because I like the way it works in conjunction with tarred bankline (a Catahoula Prussik knot holds very well in paracord, and my repertoire of knots could be better! blush). Definitely you can get 100' of bank line or mason's line in the space of 25' of paracord.

Jeanette Isabelle

It's strong, compact and inexpensive!

You are correct!

Actually, the bankline cartel has infiltrated the bushcraft management system. They are working on survivalists. Soon bankline will be totally dominant....

#294147 - 11/10/19 04:16 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

When I think of what I'll most likely be using 550 cord for (ridgelines, tieouts, trotline/bankline, lashing, bow drill, etc) I've generally shifted away from paracord and more towards amsteel, particularly Lash-it or Zing-it. Although I can't separate the inner strands for other tasks, it's a fraction of the size and weight of 550 cord so I can easily carry more of it in the same volume, and it's rated 500 lbs itself. For tasks that do require smaller cordage, I do carry the even smaller spiderwire / fishing line.

A 33' / 10m length of it is good for a ridgeline, and small continuous loops make great soft shackles.

Here's an example of a loop I used around a pocket saw, I used a stick for my handles and it worked great.

It doesn't stretch like 550 cord, so ridgelines and tieouts remain more taught, and there's a whole line of hardware out there in the hammock community oriented towards it (carabiners, figure 9s, tensioners, etc). It all adds up to a great option for utility.

Downsides are that knots are almost impossible to get out, it tangles easy, and the ends don't fuse when burnt like 550 cord (though superglue works great).

Amsteel 7/64 is another nice alternative as well -- still a little thinner than 550 cord yet rated 1,600 lbs which is enough for hammock use, and is a little beefier than zing-it/lash-it for bow drills and perhaps improvised bow strings if you're being crafty.

None of it is suitable for life safety and shouldn't replace good climbing rope of course, but for the vast majority of bushcrafty tasks I like it better than paracord.

#294149 - 11/10/19 06:44 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I use a variety of different types of cordage for different things. First of course is paracord. It's widely available and versatile. It's handy for improvised shoelaces and gutted paracord is handy for lanyards, etc. The local dollar store sells neat little 25' hanks of the stuff or a buck! It's shrink wrapped too which makes it really handy to toss into various packs.

Next I really like bank line. It takes knots well and grips paracord nicely. It's a bit stiff for the thickness but relatively thin yet strong. Great for lashing and general use.

Jute is handy for very light use, plus it's an outstanding tinder that takes a spark easily.

While I don't use it a lot I do have some kevlar and spectra line. Those are extremely strong, very thin and nearly fireproof. Handy for certain things although many knots don't work with it.

I also like micro-cord. It's sold by Atwood and is pretty strong while being very thin. Great for guy lines and general use.

Different types of cordage have different strengths and weaknesses but I don't think there's any reason to agonize over it. Just make sure you do have something! It's very handy for so many purposes.

#294150 - 11/10/19 11:10 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe the cost?

If it is inexpensive, as you said, then how is the cost the reason bankline is not in survival kits?

Jeanette Isabelle

#294152 - 11/10/19 02:40 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Bankline was made populair by some youtuber. Use whatever cord works for you.

Plain twine, prussik cord and a little paracord is all I use.

#294153 - 11/10/19 02:55 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Excellent advice, Tjin!

#294158 - 11/10/19 11:15 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Tjin]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Bankline is the favorite of many military folks that go into remote places with minimal equipment. It is strong, UV and rot resistant. It takes most knots well and easily untied. Although the original was coated with a smelly tar substance, the last batch I ordered had no smell.

I use it for "primitive" construction and have seen it last for several years in extreme environments. It remains strong and knots stay tied even underwater.

I would bet that if you were to inspect the gear bags of those soldiers you would find more bankline than paracord.

Here is an amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/Catahoula-Manufac...7297&sr=8-1

That said, I do not use it for most applications. I have been using the type of cord found in Venetian Blinds which is also UV resistant and strong enough for my use. It is braided, not twisted. Just a matter of personal preferance.

#294160 - 11/11/19 01:16 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe the cost?

If it is inexpensive, as you said, then how is the cost the reason bankline is not in survival kits?

Jeanette Isabelle

The premade kits I have seen use incredibly cheap nylon cordage, probably 1/3 the cost of even bankline. Even the better premade kits have very cheap cordage so far as I have seen. If a kit is selling for $10-$20 imagine how little the contents must cost in order to sell it for a profit!

#294161 - 11/11/19 02:03 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

The premade kits I have seen use incredibly cheap nylon cordage, probably 1/3 the cost of even bankline. Even the better premade kits have very cheap cordage so far as I have seen. If a kit is selling for $10-$20 imagine how little the contents must cost in order to sell it for a profit!

The only kits I look at include 550 cord.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294162 - 11/11/19 03:30 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Check out Doug Ritter's original PSK sold through Adventure Medical Kits. Too small for paracord, and while I love the kit (and have four of five of them) it includes fairly generic cordage. I upgraded mine with bank line.

#294163 - 11/11/19 01:36 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I don't believe there are any Federal aws or regulations that mandate only one kind of cordage in a survival kit. Put in two or three, if you wish. Most any will get the job done.

#294164 - 11/11/19 04:35 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yeah, cordage good, too much cordage not necessarily bad. A few years back I got a deal on a 1000’ reel of 550 paracord and figured that’s not too much. I made up a couple 100” lengths and quite a few 20” lengths. There’s probably 600’ left on the reel. My truck has one of the 100’ lengths and a friend of mine got the other. I’ve got a 20” length and sometimes two in my kits. It depends on the size of the kit and your intensions.

#294165 - 11/11/19 11:49 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I use micro paracord for the same uses

#294166 - 11/12/19 03:31 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I think perhaps the reason parachute cord is popular in survival kits is because a lot of survival skills were developed for aviators who bail out, who naturally have a lot of paracord to use.

#294167 - 11/12/19 06:31 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: teacher
I've seen kits with 50-100' of paracord.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that. It depends on the situation and on the method for carrying it. In my daypack, I carry 25' bright orange paracord (non-mil spec), 75' of #36 tarred bank line, 25' of #12 tarred bank line, and 25' of jute twine for various tasks (along with the light twine in the PSK). It all fits in a zip-loc bag stored in a pocket in the daypack. I haven't used the paracord from the kit but everything else I have.

#294169 - 11/12/19 08:45 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Roarmeister]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I am unfamiliar with the term “bank line”. Is Tarred Nylon Twine considered “bank line? If so, what are the advantages?

#294170 - 11/12/19 08:55 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
For a proper counterbalanced hang to keep food away from bears, one can use close to 100 feet of cord if you use a doubled retrieval cord as well as the hang cord.

I like 2mm cord for most things. Smaller (1mm) is harder to tie and untie. 550 cord is too bulky for most uses and not strong enough for life support uses.

#294171 - 11/12/19 09:21 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Russ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
I am unfamiliar with the term “bank line”. Is Tarred Nylon Twine considered “bank line? If so, what are the advantages?

That's the stuff. It's tarred which gives it a good level of mildew resistant. It's very strong for the size and takes knots very well (it's just on the edge of feeling 'tacky' from the tar used to treat it). Bank line works extremely well to tie Prussik knots on other kinds of cordage, too.

#294172 - 11/13/19 02:39 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I use the braided stuff but the twisted will work as well.

#294173 - 11/13/19 03:38 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I've never bought any of that bank line, but I looked it on on those Amazon links and very well may have to buy some!

Just looking at the picture of it, reading about the tar, reading about the stiffness, and letting my imagination run wild - I'm assuming that knots tied with it should probably be considered permanent. Is that true? I would think that once the stiff cord "kinked" into place in a knot, and the tarring took hold, there's no way you'd be able to untie it. But it's difficult to know for sure without ever having touched or seen the stuff in person.

Paracord varies in how easy it is to untie for me. Something like a tautline hitch usually unties easily, but other knots - especially if they get wet and are under heavy load - are darn near "permanent" in paracord.

#294174 - 11/13/19 03:40 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The bank line is a somewhat stiff to be sure. Yeah, if you tie a square knot it's not going anywhere. Paracord is easier to untie (of course that makes it aggravating when using it as shoelaces). To me the ideal is paracord as a ridgelines and bank line for guy lines and Prussiks.

#294179 - 11/14/19 06:24 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Russ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Yes, same stuff - it comes in braided and twisted. The twisted variety can be separated into smaller threads as well. Braided is usually stronger at the same diameters, less likely to fray or unravel at the ends or from partial thickness cuts and abrasions, more symmetrical, and ties/holds knots better (although with the tar embedded, that's a moot point).

Dave Canterbury has heavily promoted the use of bank line even over paracord for most applications. Although it can be used for tie downs for tents/tarps, I prefer to use hi-visibility guy lines like Kelty triptease because I'm bad for tripping over them!

#294885 - 02/21/20 10:32 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

and I just bought another 50 meters of the stuff.

#294900 - 02/24/20 06:08 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: teacher
and I just bought another 50 meters of the stuff.

And I just forgot 100' hanging in the trees on my last excursion. I was using it to hang my sleeping bag for airing out and forgot to take it with me. So whoever finds it is getting a bonus!

#294901 - 02/24/20 06:43 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Roarmeister]
Carpal Tunnel

May I suggest better word usage. It sounded like you said, "And I just forgot 100' hanging in the trees on my last execution."

Jeanette Isabelle

#300043 - 09/17/21 03:56 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

...and too much duct tape.

#300449 - 11/29/21 05:45 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Paracord is crap, and I won't use it for anything, at all.

I use proper kernmantle accessory cord, either from Sterling Rope or lately from Atwood. Both Sterling and Atwood make very fine gauge accessory cord, 1.5 mm for Sterling, and 1.18 mm for Atwood. Atwood even has a 0.75 mm "Nano Cord".

Both companies also make a variety of larger diameters.

When going into the backcountry, I always have a 100' spool of the fine stuff for general use, at least 100' of light duty cord for rigging tarps (four 20' guylines is already 80' of that), and another 50' of medium duty for rigging my hammock. The stuff doesn't weigh much or take up much room in a pack.

Edited by amper (11/29/21 06:01 PM)

#300462 - 11/30/21 01:34 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Paracord is fine for such non-critical uses as zipper pulls, etc, particularly thee varieties that include flammable strands...

But why so much? I have maybe fifteen or twenty feet at most. I have been in country where I packed 100 feet or so of 9mm climbing rope in ordr to get through the tricky sections....

Appropriate cordage is really essential...

#300476 - 12/01/21 05:47 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: amper]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: amper
Paracord is crap, and I won't use it for anything, at all.

I use proper kernmantle accessory cord…..

Please explain why you think paracord is “crap”? You make that rather blanket generalization, but then just tell us how much “proper kernmantle “ you carry, but don’t explain why you don’t like paracord.

Ironically, paracord is in fact kernmantle. It has a “kern” (core), covered with a “mantle” (sheath). Note that astronauts used paracord to repair the Hubble space telescope.

See Wikipedia on paracord

#300490 - 12/04/21 12:25 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
notice Atwood has something called "battle cord" which is heavy duty 7 strand paracord 5.56 mm and 2650 lbs test

https://atwoodrope.com/collections/battle-cord

Their Static Cord at 6.35 mm only holds 1800 lbs.

https://atwoodrope.com/collections/static-rope

Yet the static cord costs twice as much.

Edited by clearwater (12/04/21 12:26 AM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.