Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#294085 - 11/07/19 03:22 AM What items have worked in a pinch?
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This thread is prompted by the current discussion of knives regularly carried. Realistically, I can't recall an occasion where employing a knife was crucial. i use knives fairly regularly, but usually for fairly mundane tasks (cleaning finger nails, etc).

OTOH, there have been several times where the ability to make a fire was critical and I was very fortunate to have either a lighter, waterproof matches, and/or some type of stove made a real difference.

FAKs, though not used regularly, have been very useful a few times.

More than once, I have been glad to have a jacket or sweater tuck in the pack when the weather turned cold and windy.

What has worked for you when things went sooth?

#294091 - 11/07/19 05:20 PM Re: What items have worked in a pinch? [Re: hikermor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I am South....mundane stuff for Florida weather... a large golfing style umbrella, GoreTex rain jacket.. wide brimmed hat...case of bottled water

for the special niche people among us.. the USPSA matches this summer have been really hot.. I've outfitted my gun cart (baby stroller with a pair of ATV long gun mounts) with an 8' umbrella and Ridgid contractor fan... has been a real help

Edited by LesSnyder (11/07/19 05:21 PM)

#294102 - 11/08/19 03:17 AM Re: What items have worked in a pinch? [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Pliers.

While I admit to a professional inclination towards solving problems with tools, I need to give a special shout out to having a pair of pliers on my person at all times. Almost always it’s a Leatherman Style PS, and larger multis whenever required.

Other than for opening packages and envelopes, I would use my pliers five times as often as my pocket knife.

#294106 - 11/08/19 04:20 AM Re: What items have worked in a pinch? [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Knives often come in very handy but rarely has my day been made or ruined by the presence of or lack of one. Occasionally I'll be confronted by a package that defies all attempts to open without a knife, though. A pliers has saved the day occasionally, as has the correct driver bit or screwdriver tip.

#294107 - 11/08/19 06:18 AM Re: What items have worked in a pinch? [Re: chaosmagnet]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Other than for opening packages and envelopes, I would use my pliers five times as often as my pocket knife.

In practice, I find that to be true for me as well.

#294110 - 11/08/19 01:48 PM Re: What items have worked in a pinch? [Re: hikermor]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
When I was a kid still living at my parents I was once locked in our basement, the thing was, I could get outside from the basement, but the front door was locked and no one was home and I had no key. I did have a pocket knife and a water bottle. Together I was able to open the front door. (I know, poorly adjusted, should have a deadbolt, my home now has deadbolts are all exterior doors.) I have used pencils as plugs in shotguns while out duck hunting. I have wired a "house battery" to a starting battery by cutting up an extension cords. Lots of things have worked in a pinch. The secret is to look at what you have and to use it to aid your situation. While it wasn't intentional, I realize now that a knife what used in every single one of those three examples! I find that my Skeletool is really a perfect balance. I have basic screw drivers, knife, and pliers in one. Occasionally I wish I had a more robust folder or a wave, but the Skeletool really hits the right balance. The signal temps me for added ability to make fire!

#294118 - 11/08/19 07:08 PM Re: What items have worked in a pinch? [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am with you on the qualities of the Skeletool. The Wave is a close second. The problem is I have decked out my wave with a Bit Kit and a Bit Extender, increasing its versatility and also its weight. The pouch I use has a perfect spot for a 4" adjustable wrench, more versatility and weight.

Consequently,I only carry the augmented Wave when I am around mechanical items and the weight is not a problem. The Wave by itself is a great tool, just a bit too bulky for pocket carry, but great on the belt.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 207 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.