Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#294071 - 11/06/19 09:46 PM IMHO: You're carrying too many knives
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I keep seeing load outs, edc & bags for one person, with 4 or more knives.
Your budget and weight limit might be better served with a nice jacket instead, or a better light or even plain old food.

#294074 - 11/06/19 10:09 PM Re: IMHO: You're carrying too many knives [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
But knives are cool! mad grin

#294077 - 11/06/19 11:55 PM Re: IMHO: You're carrying too many knives [Re: teacher]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think that more than one knife is excessive, especially when on foot, a situation where weight and bulk are significant.

Appropriate gear is heavily dependent upon the environment and conditions you will confront. In the Sonoran desert in June, you want water (at least a gallon) and a broad brim hat; a knife may come in handy.

On top of longs Peak, any season, you want warm clothing, probably some technical climbing gear and sufficient water or the means to melt snow. Bivouac gear may well be useful, along with a decent blade.

I have several knives, mostly less expensive varieties; none of them have failed me in a pinch. I find a multitool or SAK with their various tools have been about as useful in different circumstances as the included blade. My current EDC is a Skeletool.

#294078 - 11/06/19 11:58 PM Re: IMHO: You're carrying too many knives [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I don't ever find myself in the desert, not much desert in my corner of Montana. But when in the woods I almost always have at least two knives, sometimes more. One is a small folder that's part of my EDC, and I like to have a fixed blade as that's a tool I use a lot for wood processing.

#294081 - 11/07/19 12:18 AM Re: IMHO: You're carrying too many knives [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I like to have a fixed blade and a folder when off the pavement.

#294090 - 11/07/19 05:17 PM Re: IMHO: You're carrying too many knives [Re: teacher]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Otzi, the original forum member. carried one knife.
It was made out of a rock.
He either traded or traveled hundreds of miles to get the particular rock, but it was a rock.

Multiple knife carry is a first world issue: a response to a wild excess of resources rather than to necessity.

And, with some reservations, the cheapest knife available today is better than the best available 100 years ago. And the 100 year old knives appear to have been capable of all the cutting that was necessary.

#294092 - 11/07/19 06:54 PM Re: IMHO: You're carrying too many knives [Re: nursemike]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Archaeologists today can trace extensive trade networks, especially in the types of stone used for chipped stone tools, some of which were only used locally, but others of which were traded over many miles.

Obsidian from Yellowstone has been found in Illinois Hopewell sites. Alibates flint from North Texas is found widely distributed, and there are other examples.

I can imagine heated discussions around the campfires of old, discussing the merits and demerits of this or that obsidian or flint, the best heat treatment(Yes, you can heat treat flint), etc. etc. Modern day knife junkies would feel right at home.

#294093 - 11/07/19 07:03 PM Re: IMHO: You're carrying too many knives [Re: teacher]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
How will you stick a pig, fell a tree across an impassable canyon, cut yourself free from kelp, or remove an inflamed appendix without the proper blade?

(These were just a few of the uses for a cutting tool that I ran into last week. This week I cut some twine and opened the tape on a box.)

Edited by clearwater (11/07/19 07:11 PM)

#294095 - 11/07/19 07:08 PM Re: IMHO: You're carrying too many knives [Re: nursemike]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: nursemike
Otzi, the original forum member. carried one knife.
It was made out of a rock.
He either traded or traveled hundreds of miles to get the particular rock, but it was a rock

Otzi also carried a nice copper axe. It was a rather luxurious tool back in that day.

www.iceman.it/en/equipment/

Isotope analysis on the copper revealed that the metal of Otzi's axe was mined in the mountains of Tuscany, in Central Italy, hundreds of miles south of the alpine pass where his body was discovered.

Edited by albusgrammaticus (11/07/19 07:09 PM)

#294099 - 11/08/19 03:12 AM Re: IMHO: You're carrying too many knives [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Were I to regularly carry an axe, I would probably feel comfortable leaving my folder at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.