Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#294047 - 11/05/19 01:07 AM A Small Problem
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
As part of my last order, I bought a glucometer kit.

https://www.chinookmed.com/501190/microdot-glucometer-kit.html

I tested the unit today and learned that I have a problem. The test strips and testing solutions expire 90 days after you open them. Chinook Medical does not sell refills. What is more surprising is that, contrary to their claim, Amazon does not have everything from A to Z.

I visited suppliers who I do trust only to learn I need to have a company name or organization to order anything.

Does anyone know of a trusted source where an individual can buy Microdot Xtra test strips and testing solutions?

Jeanette Isabelle

#294048 - 11/05/19 03:09 AM Re: A Small Problem [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
The doctor who prescribed/recommended the kit should be able to tell you where to get supplies for it I would think. Do your best to manage your (your moms?) diabetes well - that disease could become a significant problem in a disaster situation, especially if you are insulin dependent.

#294049 - 11/05/19 03:32 AM Re: A Small Problem [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

I have low blood sugar and a doctor made no such recommendation.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294050 - 11/05/19 08:42 AM Re: A Small Problem [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I have low blood sugar and a doctor made no such recommendation.

Just to clarify, do you or someone in your family have diabetes? Asking because diabetes = very high bloodsugar.
Low bloodsugar is easily treated by eating, as far as I understand. I´m not medical trained at all.
My dad has diabetes so I am somewhat familiar with it.

Edited by Herman30 (11/05/19 08:46 AM)

#294051 - 11/05/19 12:19 PM Re: A Small Problem [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

No one in my family has diabetes.

After suspecting that something is wrong, my doctor requested a glucose tolerance test. The results revealed that I have reactive hypoglycemia. The doctor who ordered the lab test said there isn't any drug for it. I have to be careful about what I eat.

A different doctor recommended Glucerna.

I carry a box of cracker sandwiches and two bottles of Glucerna in my EDC bag.

https://www.lance.com/toastchee/

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Abbott Laboratories, the maker of Glucerna, or Lance other than I used to work in a distribution center.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294057 - 11/05/19 08:59 PM Re: A Small Problem [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
It sounds like you don't need a glucometer then. I'd try to return it if you still can. No need to have testing/monitoring equipment for a disease that you don't have. A glucometer would be useless to you, and a waste of money.

#294060 - 11/06/19 12:21 AM Re: A Small Problem [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
It sounds like you don't need a glucometer then.

I do. One of the symptoms of low blood sugar is anxiety. Sometimes my anxiety is blood sugar related, other times it's not. Usually, I can tell; for the times that I can't, I need a glucometer to know which way to treat the symptom.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294061 - 11/06/19 01:56 PM Re: A Small Problem [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
NAro Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: haertig
It sounds like you don't need a glucometer then.

I do. One of the symptoms of low blood sugar is anxiety. Sometimes my anxiety is blood sugar related, other times it's not. Usually, I can tell; for the times that I can't, I need a glucometer to know which way to treat the symptom.

Jeanette Isabelle

Wouldn't it be simpler, if you feel anxious and haven't eaten recently, to just eat some of those crackers? Then if you feel better, you treated your blood sugar problem. If you don't feel better... perhaps then go on to address your anxiety?

#294062 - 11/06/19 02:40 PM Re: A Small Problem [Re: NAro]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NAro
Wouldn't it be simpler, if you feel anxious and haven't eaten recently, to just eat some of those crackers? Then if you feel better, you treated your blood sugar problem. If you don't feel better... perhaps then go on to address your anxiety?

It can take a while to feel better when my blood sugar drops. While I'm in the process of treating the low blood sugar, I may feel worse, which may lead me to believe it is not my blood sugar. Therefore I would take my anxiety medication.

What if it is my blood sugar and I did not give the right treatment enough time? The glucometer can tell me what I need to know in a few seconds.

Jeanette Isabelle

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.