The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 15 of 20 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 19 20 >
Topic Options
#293794 - 10/10/19 03:04 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Totally agree with Hikermor regarding the importance of a patient survey. In the NOLS Wilderness First Aid course a patient survey is conducted by student during every exercise. That training alone is worth taking the class. I’m sure that an American Red Cross course teaches something similar, but possibly not for situations where calling 9-1-1 is not an option.

#293795 - 10/10/19 04:20 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I have friends and a sister in the medical field. Because of them, I learned a few things that I may have known otherwise, such as the proper way to wash my hands so that I don't inadvertently contaminate them again. They also taught me how to get a patient's blood pressure.

Other than the gunshot wound class Mom and I took Saturday, which was very helpful, I don't see much opportunity for me to have formal training. There is a college a little more than ten miles away. As I've mentioned, because of my anxiety disorder, I can't be in a car for more than a few miles without being medicated. I have to use that medication (Lorazepam, 1MG) sparingly.

I know what you are saying. Knowledge is more important than the tools. And there is only so much I can learn by reading books and practicing on myself. My hands-on experience is limited to cuts, scrapes, bumps, bruises, burns, changing dressings, sprung ankles and a door slamming on my hand.

That said, I do have some tools I'm not trained to use, such as decompression needles, in the event a person there knows the procedure but lacks the equipment.

Acropolis5 suggested a #11 scalpel. I may get one for the same reason I have decompression needles. He also suggested safety googles, which I did not buy because of the lack of space; it is impressive what I can get into my medical bag if I do a bit of rearranging.

Since no one has objected to removing the hot and cold pack to make space for the blood pressure cuff and stethoscope, that is what I will do.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293797 - 10/10/19 05:31 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
How near are you to Orlando? REI & NOLS are sponsoring Wilderness Medicine Classes at the Mah-Kah-Wee Program Center, NE of Orlando.

#293799 - 10/10/19 06:05 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

My current location to Orlando, FL, is 76.6 miles.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293801 - 10/10/19 10:45 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I talked with Mom. Though we're on the same page regarding what is likely to happen in the future, she's not convinced with the idea of taking a wilderness first aid class. The issues are costs, distance and keeping our skills current.

She, instead, recommended something I'm already doing, study the books we have and practice what I learn in the books.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294027 - 11/03/19 01:29 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I added safety glasses, the #11 scalpel, blood pressure cuff and stethoscope as recommended. I also added a few more clove kits for a total of six. To add the blood pressure cuff and stethoscope, I had to remove the hot and cold pack and replace the 4" elastic bandage with a 3". I also had to remove the Kelly Forceps, something that was recommended to me previously.

MEDICAL INFORMATION / TRIAGE
(1) Wilderness & Travel Medicine
(1) Tactical Combat Casualty Reference Card
(4) Tactical Combat Casualty Care Card
(1) Fresnel Lens

PERSONAL PROTECTION
(1) Biohazard Waste Bag
(1) Rescue Mask, Soft Case
(6) Personal Antimicrobial Wipe
(2) Emergency/Survival Blanket
(2) Respirator Mask
(6) Bear Claw Glove Kit
(1) Crews Safety Glass - BearKat

BLEEDING
(2) Combat Application Tourniquet, Rescue Orange
(1) QuikClot, 25 g
(2) Trauma Bandage, 4"
(4) Compressed Gauze

AIRWAY
(2) Bolin Chest Seal
(1) Hyfin Vent Chest Seal Twin Pack
(2) Nasopharyngeal Airway w/ Lube, 28 Fr
(2) ARS Decompression Needle, 10 g x 3.25"

WOUND / BLISTER / BURN
(3) Burn Jel, 3.5 g
(1) 30 Band-Aid, 6 Knuckle, 6 Moleskin
(1) Durapore Tape, 1"
(1) Stretch Gauze, 3" x 12 yds.
(1) Wound Closure Strips, 0.25" x 4"
(2) Non-Adherent Dressing, 3" x 4"
(5) Sterile Gauze Pad, 3" x 3"
(6) Povidone-Iodine Prep Pad

IMMOBILIZATION
(1) Elastic Bandage Wrap, 3" x 4.5 yds.
(1) Splint, Orange, 4.25" x 36"
(2) Cravat Triangular Bandage

MEDICATION
(1) Eye Wash, 4 oz.
(2) Glucose, 15 g
(6) Aspirin, 2/pk (Analgesic)
(6) Diamode, 1/pk (Anti-diarrheal)
(6) Diotame, 2/pk (Stomach)
(6) Diphen, 1/pk (Antihistamine)
(6) Hydrocortisone 1% Creme, 1.5 g
(6) Ibuprofen, 2/pk (Anti-inflammatory)
(6) Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 0.9 g
(2) Hydration Powder
(1) Insect Bite Treatment
(1) Activated Charcoal

INSTRUMENTS
(1) Catheter Tip, 18G
(1) Digital Thermometer
(1) EMT Shears, 7.25"
(1) Irrigation Syringe, 20 mL, Luer Lock Tip
(1) Scalpel, Sterile, #11
(1) Tweezers
(3) Safety Pins, 2"
(1) Blood Pressure Kit
(1) Disposable Penlight
(1) Stethoscope, Sprague
(1) Flat Duct Tape, 1.89" x 2 yds.

I know several of you have been pushing for a headlamp. Except for an empty pocket that I have reserved for a dental kit, there is no room for a light other than the penlight.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294028 - 11/03/19 03:05 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A head light should be readily available as part of your normal gear. There are plenty of times when both hands will be occupied and in that case, you will be forced to put the penlight in your mouth. Drooling on the patient is universally frowned upon.....

It is perfectly permissible to hand carry a head light, and there are situations where this is preferable, but it is often advantageous to switch from one mode to the other.

#294565 - 01/15/20 01:53 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Today I added the dental kit.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01350/dental-tmm-de.html

I believe my main medical kit is as comprehensive as it can be for its size.

Several of you have made a case for a headlamp; for now, I don't see it. Maybe later.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294566 - 01/15/20 04:41 AM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I don't see it.
Jeanette Isabelle

That is why you need a headlamp.

#294567 - 01/15/20 12:31 PM Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit [Re: Alan_Romania]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
That is why you need a headlamp.

What that means is, I don't see a need for a headlamp.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 15 of 20 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 19 20 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.