Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#293916 - 10/23/19 03:19 AM Do you leave your weather radio on?
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Is it on all the time (to receive alerts) or do you just turn it on when bad weather is coming?

#293919 - 10/23/19 10:55 AM Re: Do you leave your weather radio on? [Re: teacher]
Janysboy Offline
Journeyman

I leave it on all the time. It sits near my bedroom. Here in Missouri, storms can brew up quickly so I want to know if something is coming at 3 am.

#293921 - 10/23/19 03:11 PM Re: Do you leave your weather radio on? [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I don't have a weather radio with SAME capability, so I rarely have it turned on for alert activation. The only thing that's likely to happen suddenly here would be a tornado, and we can hear the sirens indoors with our windows shut. I do have a tornado app on my phone that very reliably alerts when severe weather is coming.

#293924 - 10/24/19 12:46 AM Re: Do you leave your weather radio on? [Re: chaosmagnet]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
yes... the Reecom with SAME Alert technology is on all the time

#293940 - 10/25/19 11:52 PM Re: Do you leave your weather radio on? [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I currently don’t use a weather radio. The radio I have that should be capable of receiving NOAA has yet to receive a signal so maybe it’s reception in the canyon where I live (SOCAL), or maybe the weather isn’t noteworthy (no tornadoes or hurricanes) but I’ve found them fairly useless. Or maybe it’s the radio...

That said, I’m considering the relatively new Kaito KA123 Digital AM FM NOAA Weather Radio which uses a silicon lab “DPS” (DSP = Digital Signal Processing) chip. What I like about the KA123 is that it has “alert mode”. My take is that the radio is basically on standby waiting for a prompt/signal from NOAA to activate. Is that typical of radios with SAME tech or is this something different? (It’s not a SAME radio.)

My better half’s pocket radio died recently so I ordered a Kaito KA220 AM/FM radio as a replacement. For a 2xAAA pocket radio, it looks pretty good — DSP & PLL circuitry —simple controls. Not a weather radio, but there are plenty of AM News stations here which should suffice.

#293944 - 10/26/19 03:45 AM Re: Do you leave your weather radio on? [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
SAME allows a weather radio to “listen” for an encoded signal that’s part of the alert tone that wakes up a radio. If your programmed location (county, municipality, marine zone) isn’t in the encoded signal, your radio doesn’t alarm. This, I am reliably informed, reduces the chance of a weather radio getting smashed by one’s aggrieved spouse when the alert does not concern you.

#293946 - 10/26/19 12:41 PM Re: Do you leave your weather radio on? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Got it. So the Kaito KA123 I was considering will wake up to every NOAA alert it receives, rather than only those which are zip-code specific. It might be good for those folks in tornado country who need a radio to carry around, but for leaving one turned on at home or in the office, a radio with SAME specificity is a much better option.

Here in SOCAL, the EQ in the middle of the night will either wake me up (or not), or kill me outright (possible but mostly hyperbole). The 3 second warning system in development will not be of much value to someone in REM sleep, let alone deep sleep. If an EQ wakes me up, it was probably big enough to make the news and an AM radio will suffice.

YMMV. If I lived in an area with tornadoes passing through, I’d definitely have a Wx radio with SAME programming.

#293947 - 10/26/19 03:28 PM Re: Do you leave your weather radio on? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The SoCal warning system for EQs may give you considerably longer notification of an impending EQ, depending upon your location relative to its epicenter. You might have five or ten minutes!!!

Hopefully one will have enough time to duck and cover, stop the vehicle, put down the blowtorch, etc. when the shaking begins. Not perfect, by any means, but way better than no system at all.

#293948 - 10/26/19 04:28 PM Re: Do you leave your weather radio on? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Five or ten minutes would be useful if you’re awake, but they aren’t there yet and usefulness will depend a lot on its false alarm rate. There’s nothing like a high false alarm rate to get people to turn off their warning system.

#293970 - 10/29/19 07:54 PM Re: Do you leave your weather radio on? [Re: Russ]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Russ
Five or ten minutes would be useful if you’re awake, but they aren’t there yet and usefulness will depend a lot on its false alarm rate. There’s nothing like a high false alarm rate to get people to turn off their warning system.

Or a loud, weekly test.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.