Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#293832 - 10/13/19 04:01 PM Re: Recon Medical Tourniquets [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
“Penny Wise, Pound Foolish” comes to mind.

#293833 - 10/13/19 04:34 PM Re: Recon Medical Tourniquets [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
MTC. My Two Cents

#293834 - 10/13/19 05:18 PM Re: Recon Medical Tourniquets [Re: DaveL]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Thank you. The administration needs to add that to "ETS Acronyms," which is a locked thread.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=182658#Post182658

Jeanette Isabelle

#293835 - 10/13/19 06:36 PM Re: Recon Medical Tourniquets [Re: hikermor]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Well, its a tourniquet, not a defibrillator. This is not improved technology on display, but aggressive marketing. Black dyed tactical toilet tissue is not more functional than Charmin.

We used tourniquets professionally, occasionally to be sure, in the ER. Usually used a blood pressure cuff, but occasionally improvised with fabric and a big kelly clamp, if the blood pressure cuffs leaked and lost pressure. We used a cuff because applying less pressure over a wider area of the artery was less likely to traumatize the vessel. But there is no magic involved: a loop of 550 cord, a piece of webbing, tightly wrapped coban, ace bandage or duct tape can all be or direct digital pressure can be perfectly effective in slowing or stopping arterial bleeds.
Tourniquets buy some time to definitively treat the wound by ligating the artery and cleaning and dressing the defect. While the tourniquet is in place, all of the tissue that is perfused by the arteries involved is dying. Better to lose a limb than a life, but one has to have a plan for care of the patient after the tourniquet is applied.

Anyway, lots of money is made in the marketing of tacticool equipment. Not all of the items sold perform their function better than traditional methods: be a wise shopper.

#293836 - 10/13/19 07:22 PM Re: Recon Medical Tourniquets [Re: nursemike]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Nursemike, your comments are most enlightening.

My experience has been that the most generally useful item in my FAK has been a 3" or 4" Ace bandage - good for splinting, direct pressure, and all sorts of applications. This has been in non-urban situations where access to an ER was sketchy, to say the least. Although I routinely carried and used a BP cuff on SAR missions, I never had to use one as a TQ. Direct pressure almost always sufficed.

our typical victim had incurred massive trauma, usually from a fall or slip. Gunshot wounds were far less common, and I imagine a TQ would be more generally useful in that situation.

Our plan was to convey the victim to the ER ASAP, where definitive care and expertise awaited. Rapid helicopter transport saved a lot of lives. Only so much you can do in a field situation.

#293837 - 10/13/19 07:28 PM Re: Recon Medical Tourniquets [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
We tested a number of counterfeit tourniquets to destruction, along with real CATs and others.

I wouldn't buy these.

#293838 - 10/13/19 08:39 PM Re: Recon Medical Tourniquets [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

"Black dyed tactical toilet tissue is not more functional than Charmin."

What if they were in camo?

#293840 - 10/13/19 09:29 PM Re: Recon Medical Tourniquets [Re: hikermor]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
"Black dyed tactical toilet tissue is not more functional than Charmin."

What if they were in camo?

I have not evaluated camo TP, and therefore have no opinion.

#293841 - 10/13/19 09:34 PM Re: Recon Medical Tourniquets [Re: nursemike]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Obviously a daunting task, since they would be hard to see

#293842 - 10/13/19 09:44 PM Re: Recon Medical Tourniquets [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Concur, Hikermor.

If I were to chose a single product to oversupply for teotwawkistan scenarios, it would be an assortment of 3,4 and 6 inch ace wraps. A generous combination of kerlix and ace can control bleeding or immobilize a limb, and look darn good doing it. Safety pins, too cuz I don't trust velcro or those pokey little ace clips to secure elastic bandages, tho coban does a nice job.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.