Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#293737 - 10/07/19 08:05 PM What do you carry but have never used?
teacher Offline
Old Hand

For me its a small whistle on my keychain.

#293739 - 10/07/19 08:50 PM Re: What do you carry but have never used? [Re: teacher]
Janysboy Offline
Journeyman

I have a pair of Velcro crampons which I keep in my briefcase. Here in St. Louis, we sometimes have icy conditions and I feel better knowing I have them if I need to cross an icy street.

#293740 - 10/07/19 09:01 PM Re: What do you carry but have never used? [Re: teacher]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I used to carry a CPR mask. Currently, I carry an electronic alarm. There are also a few items in my first aid kit that I never needed, such as a trauma pad, N95 mask and hydration powder.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293741 - 10/07/19 09:13 PM Re: What do you carry but have never used? [Re: teacher]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
My firearm. And I'm glad I haven't had to use it.

#293742 - 10/07/19 09:29 PM Re: What do you carry but have never used? [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Not much. Over the years I’ve dropped stuff from EDC that was never used. Carrying stuff “just in case” is inefficient. There’s a lot of stuff a short walk to my truck or in my backpack, but not in my EDC pocket carry.

#293744 - 10/07/19 10:17 PM Re: What do you carry but have never used? [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Do you mean EDC or in the PSK? I will address each.

EDC: Sidearm. I have never had to use my sidearm in an urban situation, luckily. A couple times I was glad I had it as things could have gone differently. I'll note that I have had to use my sidearm in a wilderness setting. EDC-wise, everything else that I actually carry gets used with some regularity.

Wilderness: I generally have a very well stocked PSK and I have a few options. For state parks and places where the odds of getting lost or stuck are minimal my kit is fairly minimal. Then I have an intermediate kit built around a water bottle bag. In theory it contains enough to survive an unplanned night or two in the wilderness, although it wouldn't necessarily be comfortable. Lastly I have a pretty comprehensive PSK/day bag that I built around a Mystery Ranch 2 Day Assault pack. At 27 liters it's still easy to carry but very close to a camping pack. With it I'm be fairly comfortable down to 40 or lower even without a fire, and with a fire I'd be pretty good in anything short of a very bad winter night.

I will confess to having to resort to a lot of the kit in one instance that I recounted here at ETS. Even then there are a few thing I didn't use. As Teacher mentioned I've never used my emergency whistle, nor have I ever needed my signal mirror. So far I've never used the space-bag/bivvy outside of just testing it. Certain items in the FAK have never been required in the field, either. Lastly I have never used the sail needle or fishing stuff that seems obligatory in PSKs. Truth be told I'm terrible at sewing so if I did need the needle it would be a mess. The fishing stuff is only there because it's part of an otherwise-useful kit I cannibalized to build my homebrew kits. I suppose there's little harm in having it as the weight is low but I probably wouldn't go out and buy more if it got lost.

Of course, just because I haven't used it yet doesn't mean I never will. I've played with mylar/space blankets for a couple of decades but never actually used one in a tough spot until this spring! Luckily I try to experiment and practice with all the stuff I carry so I don't have to figure it out on the fly.

#293760 - 10/08/19 03:03 PM Re: What do you carry but have never used? [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My trusty 357 Magnum (S&W Mod 28). Displayed once to good effect in a non-wilderness encounter, but never fired.

#293783 - 10/09/19 11:21 PM Re: What do you carry but have never used? [Re: teacher]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
Yep Hikermor
That is what I call equipped to survive
My incident S&W M66 same result

#296082 - 05/13/20 06:39 PM Re: What do you carry but have never used? [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Because of my first aid training, I carried exam gloves for years.

#296085 - 05/13/20 08:44 PM Re: What do you carry but have never used? [Re: teacher]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
PLB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.