Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#293699 - 10/05/19 12:01 AM Re: What's your unique EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I hope you're doing better, haertig! Gotta watch the ol' ticker carefully.

#293706 - 10/05/19 04:09 AM Re: What's your unique EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: chaosmagnet]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Pen, I carry a Tactile Turn Glider, which is in my studied opinion the finest pen ever made for my purposes

That's a nice one! I'm into pens, too, so I'm curious about your selection process. What purposes do you have in mind?

Can you get waterproof ink cartridges?

#293711 - 10/05/19 04:26 PM Re: What's your unique EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Bingley]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks, those are nice looking pens. Depending, I use a 1984 Cross (twisty) that lives in my checkbook. Then I bought in a Parker Vector (capped rollerball) in stainless steel a couple years later and a Parker Jotter a few years after that — all are excellent and the youngest is close to 30 years old.

That said, I like the looks of the Tactile Turn click pen. One of their Ti clickers may become a Christmas gift this year. The short clicker takes the same, very easy to find refills I use in my Parker Jotter in either ballpoint or Gel ink.

#293712 - 10/05/19 07:47 PM Re: What's your unique EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Phaedrus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I hope you're doing better, haertig! Gotta watch the ol' ticker carefully.

Thanks. I'm fine. After scaring the people doing my routine treadmill test half to death, and after tons of testing, and an ablation, the cardiologist pronounced me "just fine - you're no more at risk than the general population. But if the arrhythmia still bothers you, you can take some of these anti-arrhythmia pills." Which I do. And they do help to some extent, but not 100%. So if anyone wants to see what PVC's look like (in my case, harmless), I can conjure them up at will!

#293715 - 10/05/19 10:36 PM Re: What's your unique EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
My dad had an arrhythmia. He passed away eight summers ago but not from that. It occasionally bothered him but mostly he rarely noticed it.

#293717 - 10/05/19 10:52 PM Re: What's your unique EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Haertig, that is quite the gadget. Do first responders carry that or something similar these days?

I also have an arrhythmia condition but I have an installed pacemaker (maybe that should be included in my EDC inventory) and a bedside monitor which communicates with my cardiologist when something unusual occurs. I feel no symptoms whatever from this condition.

Edited by hikermor (10/05/19 10:53 PM)

#293719 - 10/05/19 11:15 PM Re: What's your unique EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: haertig
I carry "entertainment hardware" in my day bag.

Yes. Other than for most outdoor activities (there are a few exceptions), my iPad goes in whatever bag I’m carrying, along with a power bank, along with good headphones.

Quote:
Oh, one other thing that I suppose is actually more "unique" - an AliveCor KardiaMobile heart monitor. https://www.alivecor.com/

That’s a super cool looking gadget. Do me a big favor, though, and maintain a normal heart rhythm, please.

#293720 - 10/06/19 12:06 AM Re: What's your unique EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Pen, I carry a Tactile Turn Glider, which is in my studied opinion the finest pen ever made for my purposes

That's a nice one! I'm into pens, too, so I'm curious about your selection process. What purposes do you have in mind?

Can you get waterproof ink cartridges?

The VAST majority of my writing is on a keyboard. In my office there’s my MacBook Pro (for work) and its dedicated Bluetooth keyboard, my gaming PC and its wired keyboard, and I have what we IT people call a crash cart (keyboard, mouse, and monitor, often on wheels but in my case bundled neatly in an IT “go bag”) hooked up to a Raspberry Pi that I’m futzing with, and the folding keyboard for my iPad that I’m composing this post with right now. I spend a lot of time using keyboards.

A pen is always part of my EDC. I like using my own pen to sign things, write checks, take handwritten notes (uncommon and for specific purposes; most of my notes are typed), and mark targets. When I started flying a lot more, that led to thinking more about self-defense in non-permissive environments, so I moved from a tiny keyring pen to full-size metal.

My requirements for an EDC pen are:
  • Titanium (it’s tough, light, and I have to confess I have a thing for titanium)
  • Can serve as an improvised weapon but does not look tactical
  • Uses a ballpoint refill that I like (I’ve become particularly fond of the Schmidt Easyflow 9000)
  • Capless — clickytop pens are fine, but Tactile Turn’s curved bolt action is fiddleicious and super reliable

I’m also very fond of the texture that Tactile Turn machines onto the pens.

As for waterproof inks, it takes the Fisher Space Pen refills, and I haven’t had any issues with the Schmidt refill smearing.

#293722 - 10/06/19 03:45 AM Re: What's your unique EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Haertig, that is quite the gadget. Do first responders carry that or something similar these days?

My paramedic certification expired 25 years ago, so I'm not in that group anymore. I would doubt this gadget would be useful for first responders, given they already have higher end monitors, defibrillators, etc.

But I will tell you, this device does take very nice ECG's. Especially since it only costs $99. You are limited to "lead I" though. Everyone had probably heard the term "12-lead ECG". That's what you'll get in an ER or hospital setting. So you most certainly can't diagnose everything with a device that only does one lead. Nor do you need to. But you can monitor the important, life threatening stuff. By itself, the device does not diagnose much. It can communicate with your doctor though (you'll pay a small monthly fee for that option). Where I find it of most value is when you can read your own ECG. You don't need the device to do the diagnosing because you know what you're looking at already. Even though my paramedic is expired now, I can still read ECG's pretty well. Reading your ECG on your cellphone is not ideal, but this device will create beautiful PDF files that you can email to yourself and then review on a normal computer monitor (or print). These PDF files are good quality ECG's. An example clipping is attached (the original PDF file covers a much longer time period). In case it isn't obvious, that big bizarre looking thing in the middle isn't really supposed to be there (that's one of my PVC's!) Everyone has PVC's every now and then, I just have more than most people.

Attachments
ECG.png

#293725 - 10/06/19 02:33 PM Re: What's your unique EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks - very fine explanation

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.