The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#293454 - 09/17/19 07:00 PM Grizzly attack chances more than human/car-YNP
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands

"The chances of a serious attack on people in wilderness bear country are much higher than the chance of an attack by a human or being struck by lightning."

"During the time you spend traveling in the backcountry in Yellowstone park, you have about the same chance of dying from a grizzly bear attack, as you have of dying in a car accident if you spend the time in the rest of the United States."

"Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/bears-o.../#ixzz5zoG9xiAB
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

#293458 - 09/17/19 08:01 PM Re: Grizzly attack chances more than human/car-YNP [Re: clearwater]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Fascinating! Thanks for posting it. It's starting to look like the long held conventional wisdom that bears are more like Yogi Bear than apex predators was misleading.

#293459 - 09/17/19 08:19 PM Re: Grizzly attack chances more than human/car-YNP [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The Ammoland article contained a link to the NPS Yellowstone bear safety web page where one learns that since the park waas established, 121 people have perished from drowning, 26 have died by suicide, and 21 have died from burns incurred in hot springs. During that time, eight fatalities were caused by grizzlies.

The park suggests use of bear spray, stating that keeping it handy, along with a bit of practice, is a good idea. They also suggest other "good ideas"

The Ammoland article comes on strong in advocating a good firearm for bear defense. What else would a mag named "Ammoland" advocate?

The article mentions that drownings are rare in the Sahara. I don't know about the Sahara, but in the Sonoran desert, close to Tucson, AZ, drowning was a very close second to falls in fatality incidents furing the time I was active there. Not intuitive, but true.

The author rather vaguely state that if you meet a stranger in the backwoods you should be "wary," which term is undefined. Probably one should be careful around strangers, either in the woods or in town, until the situation clarifies.

When I go out, I try and equip myself for foreseeable emergencies, giving due regard to what ever weight might be involved and the versatility of whatever is contemplated for space in my pack.

In the summer in the desert, that means lots of water; in the winter, more warm clothes or even a sleeping bag. In precipitous terrain, (my favorite!) I will pack a climbing rope and maybe even minimal climbing gear. A firearm rarely makes the cut.

For the record, i am not anti-gun. i own several. When we had to leave our house because of the Thomas fire a couple of years ago, I carried my 357, as did Mrs. hikermor. We were going by vehicle into a very unknown situation, mostly urban in nature. In the wilderness, I would not have been nearly as concerned.

One needs to understand the hazards to be confronted, and acquire the skills and equipment to deal with potential problems, whatever they are.

#293460 - 09/17/19 09:04 PM Re: Grizzly attack chances more than human/car-YNP [Re: clearwater]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good points!

#293566 - 09/24/19 08:05 PM Re: Grizzly attack chances more than human/car-YNP [Re: clearwater]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Lets put things is perspective: 7 people killed by Bears in the park over the last 100 years. Just in 2019 so far, Traffic deaths in Wyoming 102, Idaho 49 and Montana 142. However you drive into the park, which has to be through one or two of these states you are far safer after you leave your car for the safety of wilderness areas of the park.

Yes you need to be respectful of Grizzly Bears, learn and practice Bear Safety and Awareness if you travel anywhere in Bear Country and yes Bear spray works, but 1 person killed every 14 years is not an epidemic of Bear Attacks. Just means we have to be bear aware as we travel and learn to understand and respect them.
boreal.net

#293567 - 09/25/19 01:42 AM Re: Grizzly attack chances more than human/car-YNP [Re: clearwater]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Well said.

#293579 - 09/26/19 04:58 PM Re: Grizzly attack chances more than human/car-YNP [Re: clearwater]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/fourth-montana-hunter-grizzly-bear

"Fourth Montana hunter attacked by a grizzly bear in 10 days"

"But, but, but, there were no deaths!"

#293580 - 09/26/19 05:33 PM Re: Grizzly attack chances more than human/car-YNP [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The went a-hunting and became the hunted. It would be interesting to know more about their behavior and the circumstances.

What conclusions do you draw from these events? What are your recommendations?

What the world needs, obviously, is a combination .358 Magnum and trekking pole (maybe in titanium for the ultralight enthusiast).

#293581 - 09/26/19 08:32 PM Re: Grizzly attack chances more than human/car-YNP [Re: clearwater]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

inReach device saves from grizzly.

“We can’t stress enough the importance to be prepared when venturing in the wilderness as anything can happen.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/national/u...oe-trip-rescued

Edited by clearwater (09/26/19 08:34 PM)

#293583 - 09/27/19 12:47 AM Re: Grizzly attack chances more than human/car-YNP [Re: clearwater]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yikes! Four in a week and a half, and all of them in my back yard!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.