Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 34 of 57 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#290977 - 10/29/18 05:49 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: pforeman]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Let me offer my congratulations to your achievement. Welcome to the hobby. Itīs a great hobby and a good way to prepare.

#290990 - 11/01/18 02:46 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Congratulations!

73 de chaosmagnet

#291016 - 11/06/18 09:43 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Working on the usual: personal fitness, preparing car kits for Winter, Learning knots

#291026 - 11/07/18 06:25 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Test ride my motorcycle and lubricate the chain. I also checked my tire pressure (was Ok, so no inflating required).
Chalk marks indicated that my perceived lean angle still is in tune with the actual lean angle smile.

#291232 - 11/30/18 10:32 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Doing my holiday shopping and ordering -- Matches were surpassingly hard to find.

#291288 - 12/04/18 04:49 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: TeacherRO]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Introduced an EMT to the benefits of carrying an Emerson Knives N-SAR, and to the usefulness of a nasal cannula at 15lpm. under a non rebreather set to a flow rate such that the bag doesn't deflate more then half with the patients deepest fastest respiration, or under a BVM with a PEEP valve, not activated, just on the exhalation valve, provides enough resistance to exhalation to resolve most pulmonary shunting causes, or under a CPAP/BIPAP mask. That a nasal cannula at 15lpm. provides enough positive pressure to allow apneic respirations; even if the patients not breathing, if they have a pulse, there's enough positive pressure to cause diffusion across the alveolar membrane. It also helps denitrification, and puts the patient in a much more tenable position for intubation. Putting one provider in a better position to care for his patients.

#291308 - 12/05/18 06:55 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
We had a widespread power outage yesterday that affected a large chunk of the Province. There were pockets of the city that had power which led to a lot of people congregating in those parts - and a lot of people going for coffee because they couldn't go anywhere or do anything else. But there was no panic, no misbehaving, no looting, no rioting in the streets and no blaming the power utility - all very Canadian behaviour. I don't know where people get the idea that during emergencies that all h*** breaks loose. I have yet to witness anything resembling such.

I (ahem!) work for the power company so I had the inside scoop on the outage situation. smile I knew the outage was going to be several hours due to 3 major power plants tripping off. We had major amounts of hoarfrost and the line sags caused voltage drops which in turn caused network instability which led to the power plants tripping. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that practically everyone's power was restored in 13 hours! Major props to my co-workers.

I noticed a few things - I took all my electronics and topped up their charge via my vehicle. I purchased a 15,000 mAh power bank as well and threw that in my day pack. I have 4 charging ports (1-115v, 3-12v of which one is unswitched). I picked up some large unscented candles because I was short of them and I also grabbed some cash at a working ATM. I had a full tank of gas so I didn't need to top up.

It wasn't very cold (only -9°C) and little wind. You southerners might disagree with me about the temps but we have very highly insulated buildings and are used to -40° stuff. It could have been a lot worse with the temperatures and buildings would have cooled off a lot quicker. I turned my thermostat up so that when the power came back on, the furnace fan would be able to kick in, and it would "overheat" my condo. There was no guarantee that the power would stay on and could drop out again. I have camping stoves and my BBQ that I could fire up and cook with.

Some of my co-workers who have acreages outside the city had other issues. No power meant no pump for their well water and ergo only 1 toilet flush before you ran out! frown What's the old saying - "If its brown, flush it down. If its yellow, let it mellow."

No power also meant no Internet for my laptop because the service provider had to reset some of their switches. I could not even remote access my work servers because of this. The outage was long enough (9 hours) that it also meant people could not buy gas at most stations or did not have enough fuel for their emergency generators or that battery back-up systems were being pushed to their limits. Cell-phone traffic was up but the networks didn't seem to have any issues.

Traffic was at times a bit silly. Honestly, I think somebody hands out "stupid pills" to drivers. When the power is out, the traffic lights are out and that means you have to treat all of those intersections as a 4-way stop. Some people were extra cautious and didn't get the sequence right of when to move. But the people who annoyed me the most were the ones who drove right through the intersection without even slowing down or checking for cross traffic! One annoyed "gentleman" gave me the stink eye after I correctly stopped at the intersection!

The biggest thing was the realization of how much we rely on electricity to do so much and how pervasive it is in our everyday lives. Sometimes we need these reminders.

#291311 - 12/05/18 07:42 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Roarmeister]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Picking up and sorting through some stuff that got dumped off from a big bookshelf that fell over during our recent earthquake. Finding some things I should have tossed years ago.

Nothing like an M7 earthquake to motivate one to clean up the house! smile

#291695 - 01/25/19 11:19 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mid-Winter check on car/ truck kits, workout, some electronics tinkering, food shopping.

#291857 - 03/05/19 05:31 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

repacking some kits, buying batteries, planning spring garden

Page 34 of 57 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 215 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.