Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#272764 - 11/09/14 03:57 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: UncleGoo]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

LOL

You are right

One ineteresting species of "predators", I have noticed , is low-paid workers doing gardening or cleaning jobs around the area. I have no idea if they were to blame too for disappearing ducks, but I have seen some of them grabbing migrating birds which landed near the pond.

hmmm
I may ask them for some training in (Urban Survival)

#272949 - 11/20/14 04:49 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Losing things sucks, and even more so if you don't how it happened , and the thought it might happen again.

Sometime ago, I have discovered that the car MT (multitool ) is missing from center console.

BTW, the MT wasn't alone either. There is still a swiss army knife, a nice small LED flashlight (3xAAA) and they are still there. Actually I thought the MT itself was almost invisible compared the the orange flashlight because MT was in a black pouch in the dark center console which was black on the inside !! At night, you have to touch it to know it was there.

Anyways.
Losing stuff makes you feel depressed.
And not knowing how it happened makes you even more so.

DW commandeered BOTH of my leatherman waves for her crafting kits. Might be a good place to look for yours as well. wink

#273376 - 12/24/14 06:19 AM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Mark_F]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

LOL

Maybe

You know, losing the MT has confirmed a principle of ( keep the best for last ) that I have been sticking to for years. I have several MT's and have always used the ones I liked the least while my favorite MT's are hidden in a drawer.

The logic is that our market will not keep the "best" ones for long. They do disappear after a few months. So, it doesn't make sense to consume the good ones while the "bad" ones are stored safely. "BAD" does not mean necessarily low quality or easy to break for example, but could mean anything from having tools that I do not need, to being too large for my hand (as in the one I lost) or other features that make me less satisfied using that particular MT.

I was disturbed to lose this one, but was a bit relieved that it wasn't one of the favorite MT's.

Now, one of my favorite MT's sits in the center console
I am hoping that nothing happens to it.

#273378 - 12/24/14 09:12 AM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

After watching a few dozen videos of bushcraft, I came to like it a lot. By my nature, I love being alone , doing my own things in quiet natural places. Problem is : how do you do (BUSH)crafting, when you are surrounded by sparse vegetation and oceans of sand ? LOL

Maybe I should be carrying a small folding shovel, instead of a knife, and make sand castles instead of wooden spoons.

LOL

#273379 - 12/24/14 01:04 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The logic is that our market will not keep the "best" ones for long. They do disappear after a few months.

Perhaps we have different criteria for "best" but all of my favorite models of multitool have been on the market for some years and still are.

#273380 - 12/24/14 03:50 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Perhaps we have different criteria for "best"

Definitely

My "like" and "dislike" are mostly based on design: like how big/small, or which tools are included and which I would consider as "dead weight".

One of my favorite pocket knives is a cheap folder ( about U.S.$ 6) made in Pakistan. It doesn't hold an edge but doesn't have to. Most of my work (90%) can be done by a dull knife, and if sometimes a sharper knife was needed I have the options of (a) the second blade which is rarely used and (b) other knives in my bag or car.

This knife I use every single day and like it so much, I bought two more.

So, it depends what you do and what you need.

#273382 - 12/24/14 04:19 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My "like" and "dislike" are mostly based on design: like how big/small, or which tools are included and which I would consider as "dead weight".

Yup, and critically, for me, how well those tools work.

At risk of threadjacking here. Will start new one.

#274198 - 02/11/15 08:48 AM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Yup, and critically, for me, how well those tools work.

Some of these models work quite well, considering they are inexpensive and made in China

#274199 - 02/11/15 09:04 AM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Today's 2˘ is about "private time".

I have managed to find a way to "cheat" ( morally and legally off course ) and have my own few-hour escape from home and work. A workday of the week is not included in my work contract, so at work they assume I am at home and vice versa. I can spend those few hours enjoying myself or doing what I want/like to do until it is time to pick up my daughter from school.

Last few weeks, the weather was good and I made most of it relaxing on the beach or some parks here and there with some coffee and snacks.

Weather is changing now to higher temps. And I am wondering how to manage this weekly "great escape" from now on. I thought of all possibilities but couldn't find the prefect answer.

Going to a hotel is too expensive considering I don't need bed, shower, or the 24 hours. It is only about 4 hours on one day of the week. OTOH, I need the A/C and a hotel room is perfect for that.

A cafe is another good option. AC & toilet are available, but taking the EDC bag and a laptop ( for watching movies ..etc.) I don't think a cafe is safe enough. Once I go to the toilet, I may have to pack everything.

Well, I will think of something. It is really great to be away from it all for a few hours now and then. It helps you to unwind and come back totally fresh.

#274200 - 02/11/15 01:50 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Form a small group at the café to look out for each other on your meet ups. Many retired people do this, just look around whilst you are there.

Have a quiver of 'roosts' available, going back to the same café base week after week gets boring.

Have you considered a library?

Edited by Ian (02/11/15 01:52 PM)

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.