Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#276420 - 08/29/15 08:29 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good points - travel with more of your needs -- esp if going by car.

#276548 - 09/04/15 04:22 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Yes

After what happened I have easily decided to multiply the emergency cash in the GHB/BOB (always with me) by a factor of five. But other decisions are not that easy, especially stuff to be stored there.

For example.
I'll add some nicer clothes, but there is no guarantee that next emergency will require nicer clothes. May require something else. Also, they may be needed too far in the future when I am fatter or thinner (planning to lose weight).

#276917 - 10/03/15 06:24 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

An old Nokia phone was abandoned at home . It is the basic model that has a "flashlight", or torch, at the top. I took it as an emergency phone. charged it 3 months ago, SHUT IT OFF, and put it in my GHB/BOB

Today, I switched it on , and it read FULL battery.

Great little gadget for emergencies

#276918 - 10/03/15 07:22 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
NAro Offline
Addict

Caution there: I tried this with an older phone (Razr) on the Verizon network and found that the phone can not be booted up if it has been inactivated (which was the case, since I migrated to another phone). Verizon confirmed that once the phone was deactivated by them it was a brick unless I wanted to have it reactivated (at a cost... of course). So in MY case this idea won't work. YMMV

#276919 - 10/03/15 11:22 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Rearrange the straps so that you have a "briefcase" - a more age appropriate image. There are bags out there - Eagle Creek is one brand - that actually allow you to do that.

Eagle Creek, Solo, Timbuk2, Briggs and Reily, Manhatten Portage, and a number of other brands all have "convertible" laptop backpacks. They're adaquate as both a backpack and a briefcase, but don't really shine as one or the other. Business oriented backpacks, like Samsonite, have become fairly common.

For laptop security, every laptop and desktop I have ever been issued came with a cable lock, automatic backup, and hard drive encryption. One particularly security concious (paranoid) employer issued cable alarms. If you made it 20 feet before all he11 broke loose, you were doing better then most.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#293526 - 09/20/19 01:09 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Dad's situation has taught me that believing in yourself and strenghthening your own abilities is your first step to survival. Blaming others is the first step in the opposite direction.

I don't think to call a person out on something is inherently a bad thing. The real question is, what are you going to do with it? To sit and pout and say, "it's that person's fault" will get you nowhere.

I think football would be a good illustration. A person on your team catches the football and is going for a touchdown. You run alongside him. The teammate lets the ball slip from his hands. Will you stop in your tracks and yell at him? "Dummy! You should have held onto the ball." Or will you grab the ball before it touched the ground and go for the touchdown?

Someone else may have fumbled the ball; so what? You grab that ball before it can touch the ground and go for the touchdown.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293528 - 09/20/19 02:24 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

WOW !!!
Jeanette, I have even forgotten about this thread
You resurrected it from deep under.

Thanks

#293529 - 09/20/19 02:29 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I have nothing to blog about today, except that my knee problem has taught me so many things. For example, my home office (aka man cave) is in the upper floor of the house, and it has suddenly become inaccessible for approximately two months. This has made me think about so many things. One of them is how to beef up my bag to somehow compensate me when my own den is inaccessible. I have to make sure that most of my important stuff is in the companion bag and laptop.

#293531 - 09/20/19 03:45 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I understand the importance of maintaining a journal. In your case, a blog. There are also times where (even if you have material from your life) you can't get it down on paper. It frustrates you because you want to record what happened; you are somehow unable and don't know why. It's not just me. I have seen this same thing happen to another person I know.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293532 - 09/20/19 03:58 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

We have psychological experts who can tell us why . But in any case, we do not tell the world every bit of our lives. No one is interested to know why I did this or didn't do that. So, we write a little bit that maybe, just maybe, interesting to some prepper folks in a prepper forum, or a few handyman stories in a handyman forum, or share very old pictures with those interested in old pictures, and so on.

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 191 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.