The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#293469 - 09/17/19 11:51 PM Survival Psychology
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
You have enough prescription medications to last a year, enough medical supplies to outfit a small clinic and enough food and water to last four months.

Other than preparing meals and maybe purify water, there is nothing to do. What do you do other than stare at the ceiling after something big happens? On top of that, you are in the same boat as your gated community where some have prepared, whereas others have not.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293472 - 09/18/19 02:06 AM Re: Survival Psychology [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Read a book

#293473 - 09/18/19 04:21 AM Re: Survival Psychology [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Or write one. Your library of select books is a conversation across the ages.

Or master your acoustic musical instrument. The lyrics you have memorized are an asset beyond imagining.

#293475 - 09/18/19 11:57 AM Re: Survival Psychology [Re: dougwalkabout]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Or write one. Your library of select books is a conversation across the ages.

Interestingly, you should mention that. I touched that subject in the "Castaway" thread when I talked about passing my story to the next person.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293476 - 09/18/19 12:09 PM Re: Survival Psychology [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My first reaction was similar to Montanero’s: “Finally a chance to catch up on my reading list!”

But I know myself better than that.

I would certainly self-activate for my CERT and start working to assist my neighbors. If that isn’t enough our partners (multiple fire and law enforcement agencies, plus a highway department) would likely ask us to activate to help with their various missions. If that got boring I’m a member of the local RACES/ARES group, and could undoubtedly make myself useful with that group.

If the emergency continues long-term, I’d most likely be spending my time going someplace else.

#293477 - 09/18/19 12:49 PM Re: Survival Psychology [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

I don't know how this can come about; what I would like to see is our gated community coming together when we have an event that impacts the supply chain.

I, for example, have more medical supplies than what this household can use. I have a neighbor who is a nurse. However, she and her husband do not strike me as preppers. She can offer her services instead.

I understand the problem. Those of us who are preppers don't want to reveal that they are preppers because we have kinemortophobia (a fear of zombies).

To make this work, we need to somehow work with the zombies that we fear.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293478 - 09/18/19 02:30 PM Re: Survival Psychology [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have worked with bystanders ("zombies") in a variety of emergencies with positive results. In general, people are willing to help, especially if there is direction and guidance.

On one climbing trip, my partner and I recruited and trained a group of strangers to the point that we were able to convey a victim, loaded into a Stokes basket, about 500 feet down a steep slope, all in about 45 minutes.

I have been impressed at how quickly nurses respond to unexpected emergencies, with great competence. That is probably why, in my younger days, I frequently dated nurses or RNs in training. Safety First!!

It is oversimplifying to divide the universe into preppers and zombies. There are many intergradations and variations. A lot depends on the situation and the specific situation.

#293481 - 09/18/19 03:03 PM Re: Survival Psychology [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
It is oversimplifying to divide the universe into preppers and zombies. There are many intergradations and variations. A lot depends on the situation and the specific situation.

Let's keep it simple. For whatever the reason may be, the supply chain has either slowed down or completely stopped. The situation is long term, up to a year. Power may or may not be on.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293490 - 09/19/19 03:11 AM Re: Survival Psychology [Re: hikermor]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Very true, but would also depend on our own view of the world. I personally fall into the more cautious category. Maybe has to do with my INTJ personality. Even in normal life, I would need time to be friends with new guys at work or around family. While some people I know, will invite you to dinner the first time you meet them.

Regarding the original question, first thing is to check the preps, check everyone , assess the situation, then make a plan.

Other than looking at the ceiling, I would focus on checking and maintaining the facilities that help us survive like water sources ..etc.

#293495 - 09/19/19 11:44 AM Re: Survival Psychology [Re: Chisel]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Regarding the original question, first thing is to check the preps, check everyone , assess the situation, then make a plan.

Preps should have already been checked before the incident happened. It's too late to make a plan unless you mean a plan to deal with a specific situation that had just happened.

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Other than looking at the ceiling, I would focus on checking and maintaining the facilities that help us survive like water sources ..etc.

Things like water purification were covered in the opening post.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.