Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#293423 - 09/13/19 08:40 PM Re: Suggest me a fixed blade and a folder [Re: Chisel]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Make sure your multi tool has a saw. I like the metal saw/file on the SAK Ranger; I have used it a good bit.

A partial serration on the fixed blade makes cutting through rope and straps easier.

#293424 - 09/13/19 09:25 PM Re: Suggest me a fixed blade and a folder [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You might consider keeping a small prybar (6-8 inch length or so) handy. I don't always have one handy, but they are great tools when prying is required and they are small enough to keep handy.

Edited by hikermor (09/14/19 12:44 PM)

#293425 - 09/13/19 09:54 PM Re: Suggest me a fixed blade and a folder [Re: Chisel]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
This post and the one that follows seem to be something of a non sequitur
Quote:
... I am not going to carry it on my person. Most likely it would be sitting in a bag in the car trunk until needed. ...
and
Quote:
...Something did collapse on me and I was pinned under for about 15 minutes...

A great knife, fixed, folder or pry bar will not be of any use if it’s sitting in a bag in your car trunk while you are pinned down and can’t get to it.

You need to work out your actual needs/requirements and how you intend to have it ready for use and at the same time legal. Nothing is perfect, but consider the legalities of wherever you happen to be and how that dovetails with your needs.

#293427 - 09/14/19 03:09 AM Re: Suggest me a fixed blade and a folder [Re: Russ]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

You caught me there, Russ. LOL
I admit being clumsy with words sometimes because I try not to elaborate on many details, fearing the post will become lengthy and people become bored

Those two phrases are not contradictory in reality. What I meant actually was that I will not be taking the knife on my person when I go around town, however, in places where I think I may need it (like in my own construction site, my own home, when I am alone) I will put the knife on my "batman belt" with other tools.

One of the other details I have failed to mention is that cell phone reception may be compromised. Although it is a city environment, and cell phone towers are everywhere, but the construction site itself makes a micro-environment that may not receive cell phone signal, and thus increases the risk of a survival situation. Due to the high temp in our area, I have designed the outside walls of the house to consist of a sandwich of two brick walls and a 2-inch sheet of foam in between. This is great for temperature insulation, and great for AC to work efficiently, but it is bad for cell phone signal.

So, if I am inside and something goes wrong, my cell phone may not send or receive very well. And this is why I need to have adequate preps and tools on my person, when I am inside, and alone.

#293432 - 09/14/19 01:12 PM Re: Suggest me a fixed blade and a folder [Re: Chisel]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
1+ on the multi-tool. I have been carrying one for over 30 years and find it useful many times a day. Currently I have 3 leatherman tools.

Favorite is the Wave. I really like the file and diamond "blade". The saw works well. I used it yesterday to make a restraining device for an antenna, opened several boxes, cut some very fibrous plants with the serrated blade, used the screwdriver to repair a door at a friends and more. Mine is an older one without the hex tool support but that is not an issue for me.

The Rebar model has a different cut on the file which I do not like as well as the Wave. However the Rebar has replaceable cutting blades on the wire cutter so it resides with my field electronics gear.

The third is an original leatherman which I purchased a few weeks after they were first introduced. I keep it in my desk more as a retirement home for a good friend. It has seen me through many a difficulty.

I won't leave home without one.

#293433 - 09/14/19 05:33 PM Re: Suggest me a fixed blade and a folder [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

+1 on the multitool

The reason I still need more knives is that knife is my most used tool of the bunch. So, I hate to overburden the multitool's blade. Plus if a separate folding knife is broken, it can be replaced easier than a blade on a multitool.

So, Buck 110 will be added to my batman belt. But I am still undecided about the fixed blade.

What do you think of the Gerber Strong Arm ??

#293434 - 09/14/19 05:37 PM Re: Suggest me a fixed blade and a folder [Re: gonewiththewind]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks Montanero

These knives are fine, actually too fine for me.
I like to lean on the budget side.

#293435 - 09/14/19 05:58 PM Re: Suggest me a fixed blade and a folder [Re: Nomad]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I carried the first Leatherman, the PSK, for many years,starting in 1985, Came in very handy on many occasions, some of which were critical.

A PSK with a locking blade and the ability to utilize a Bit kit would be a very fine multitool indeed.

#293489 - 09/19/19 02:56 AM Re: Suggest me a fixed blade and a folder [Re: hikermor]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

OK, so finally I decided on the Mora Companion, and the Buck 110

Thanks

#293501 - 09/19/19 03:50 PM Re: Suggest me a fixed blade and a folder [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Oh no! You really should spend more than that! Who gve you those low end possibilities, anyway?

Try this: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CULZHIM...d-mokume-inlays

For a mere $4,295 you can have a really nice blade with a mirror finish - and for an additional $3800 they will furnish a fine fixed blade.

The wild variation in knife prices never ceases to amaze me. I am confident your choices will serve you well.

Edited by hikermor (09/19/19 03:50 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 191 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.