The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#293364 - 09/12/19 12:03 PM AG13 Batteries
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I have a small collection of dolls, mint-in-box. One of them is a singing doll, press her belly and she sings (fifteen-second recording). I've had her since late 2013/early 2014. I checked her box, it says she uses three AG13 batteries.

What is the shelf life of AG13 batteries? Do AG13 batteries corrode? If they don't corrode, I'm fine with leaving them in her. If they do corrode, I have to take the doll out of her box so that she won't be ruined. In doing so, she is no longer mint-in-box.

I rarely press her belly so her batties should be good in that regard. I tested her last night and she still sings. Does anyone have knowledge about these batteries?

Jeanette Isabelle

#293365 - 09/12/19 12:14 PM Re: AG13 Batteries [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The AG13 Batteries shown are alkaline so when they go bad corrosion is likely.

#293366 - 09/12/19 12:51 PM Re: AG13 Batteries [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Janysboy Offline
Journeyman

I have a small multi tool with a light which uses at 13 batteries. I have had it for several years and never saw signs of corrosion

#293367 - 09/12/19 01:00 PM Re: AG13 Batteries [Re: Janysboy]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Janysboy
I have a small multi tool with a light which uses at 13 batteries. I have had it for several years and never saw signs of corrosion

The batteries will not corrode before their expiration date since I rarely activate her singing mode. I'm concerned about when they do expire.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293369 - 09/12/19 01:22 PM Re: AG13 Batteries [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

The bottom of the box has the technical information. I hope you can see it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68105287@N03/10063420586/in/photostream/

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (09/12/19 07:13 PM)

#293374 - 09/12/19 05:21 PM Re: AG13 Batteries [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Janysboy Offline
Journeyman

Sorry, the link isn't working for me, use your best judgement.

#293375 - 09/12/19 05:23 PM Re: AG13 Batteries [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
All primary (non-rechargeable) batteries can corrode. I don't have data on rechargeable batteries corroding -- I've never seen it. But they have their own issues.

Lithium primary batteries are very unlikely to corrode, even past their expiration dates. NB: lithium primary batteries should be matched in brand/model/state-of-charge before installing in any device that takes more than one at a time, particularly high-drain devices. The easy way to do this is to only use new batteries from the same package. Badly mismatched lithium primary batteries can "vent with flame" which is to be avoided.

Alkaline batteries will corrode, it's just a matter of when. If the battery powered device is valuable or special, I would recommend storing it with batteries removed.

#293376 - 09/12/19 05:55 PM Re: AG13 Batteries [Re: chaosmagnet]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
All primary (non-rechargeable) batteries can corrode. I don't have data on rechargeable batteries corroding -- I've never seen it. But they have their own issues.

Lithium primary batteries are very unlikely to corrode, even past their expiration dates. NB: lithium primary batteries should be matched in brand/model/state-of-charge before installing in any device that takes more than one at a time, particularly high-drain devices. The easy way to do this is to only use new batteries from the same package. Badly mismatched lithium primary batteries can "vent with flame" which is to be avoided.

Alkaline batteries will corrode, it's just a matter of when. If the battery powered device is valuable or special, I would recommend storing it with batteries removed.

yes, this

i've had ag13 (and many other button batteries) corrode on me, in or out of date.

and yes, even had a AAA Eveready Ultimate (primary) Lithium leak on me. i called the maker and they admitted that lithium are less likely to leak, but sometimes do.

so follow CM's advice: remove all batteries, or check for leaks often (if i leave batts in something, i check monthly)

#293379 - 09/12/19 06:23 PM Re: AG13 Batteries [Re: wileycoyote]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Battery corrosion is the primary reason I switched to NiMH rechargeable batteries wherever I could. I’ve lost flashlights, clocks and a weather station to alkaline battery corrosion. A few devices require 1.5 volts so there are still a few alkalines here, but as things are replaced, I look for gear that accepts NiMH AA & AAA.

#293380 - 09/12/19 06:52 PM Re: AG13 Batteries [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Like Russ, I've lost gear to alkaline battery corrosion. All my AAA, AA, and C batteries are NiMH. I abhor alkalines.

I also employ lithium-ion batts, although they do have their problems. Lithium-ion ignition is a leading suspect as the cause of the Conception dive boat disaster.

As far as i know, NiMH batteries, charged and used in anything like a safe manner, are quite reliable..

Short circuit any battery and you may well have problems....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.