Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#293133 - 08/29/19 06:31 AM Markers
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Almost every BOB/GHB bag viewed or reviewed on U-tube or anywhere else had , among its contents, a Sharpie marker. Yes we do need markers for many reasons. However, one month ago, I found that a Sharpie will not write on every surface and we may need a substitute

As some of you may remember, I live in the Middle East, which HOT in July. So, I was working on a project inside a room that was not inhabited for about a month. AC was started but needed sometime to show any effect. I needed to cut a piece of metal by a hacksaw. Before cutting I used a Sharpie to make a mark, but it was (my guess) around 50-55 degrees Celsius, and the Sharpie tip momentarily dried up on the warm/hot metal, so the mark was almost invisible, especially that the metal was painted grey.

A pencil will not work well because the metal was very smooth like ceramic. So, I thought of a wax pencil(similar to crayon) and it worked very well. The warmth/heat of the metal actually helped the wax tip to run like an ink pen.

I think this same wax pen will not work well on the same metal if it was freezing cold.

From now on, I am including crayons in my kit. I think those in Florida or Texas should think of this as well.

#293137 - 08/29/19 12:35 PM Re: Markers [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Would a grease pencil have worked as well? I’m not opposed to crayons, but a grease pencil is very flexible in what it will write on.

#293142 - 08/29/19 01:27 PM Re: Markers [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A grease pencil is a great option, but I’ve only used them where it’s cool enough for them to not melt. How do grease pencils perform in really hot ambient conditions? They’re sorta like crayons and crayons can melt. Have you considered an etching tool, or does it need to be erasable? I’m thinking different situations and surfaces may need different markers. Those temps are outside my comfort zone.

#293160 - 08/30/19 04:43 AM Re: Markers [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Well, pardon me. I think it was a grease pencil then, not wax pencil. Funny thing is, when I Googled grease pencil to see what it is , a picture from Ali Baba was shown for grease pencils and it said all the words in this thread (wax, grease, crayon) !!!! Maybe they are the same. I don't know. But I know they are close to each other more than a Sharpie or chalk.

BTW, I am stocking on chalk also. Bought 5 boxes. They will be needed when I build my new home (concrete and blocks here , not wood) and I have the experience that when you need something like a switch or power outlet exactly placed, then better make a mark on the wall to guarantee no mistakes. BTDT

#293161 - 08/30/19 04:52 AM Re: Markers [Re: Russ]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Sorry, my mother tongue is not English so I am expected to make some errors here and there. What I used was a grease pencil indeed, but instead of the peel type, this one comes in a set of 12 colors and you screw the top, and the tip comes out more and more.

My daughter, like most teenagers, keeps buying all these stuff for school and at the end of the year, we have a heap of stuff she leaves behind. I dump dive , LOL, and grab really nice stuff out of it. I asked her where she bought them and she doesn't remember ! I would have bought another set 'for her' except I would steal the red, green, and black pencils

Etching tool is OK but may not be practical. It will not make a VERY visible mark for my needs. At least not suitable for my poor eyesight. But it is a great suggestion. For an improviser like me, it may come handy for things other than making marks.

#293162 - 08/30/19 05:01 AM Re: Markers [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Just a small detour from main subject. It is about improvising. Same daughter brought me 2 necklaces she had and it was all entangled with each other. The chains were thin and flimsy, and had several knots within and with the other necklace.

I used two nails for the "surgery" of un-entangling the necklaces. Nail tips were the only thing that could get in the knots without the breaking the thin chains.

#293166 - 08/30/19 05:39 AM Re: Markers [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Your English is excellent, Chisel! Certainly better than my French.

#293172 - 08/30/19 02:53 PM Re: Markers [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I would never have known that you weren't a native English speaker if you hadn't mentioned it, Chisel.

#293202 - 09/01/19 09:33 PM Re: Markers [Re: Chisel]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I keep a mechanical grease pencil on the truck visor, for scribbling notes on the inside of the windshield--poor man's heads-up display. They clean off with a bandanna.

#293205 - 09/02/19 01:53 AM Re: Markers [Re: Chisel]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
From Kevin Kelly's Cool Tools Web site:

https://kk.org/cooltools/sharpie-metallic-permanent-markers/

I've scattered a few about my bags, along with black sharpies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.