Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#293134 - 08/29/19 06:38 AM Social Media
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Looks like so many members have abandoned ETS. Same with many other forums. Question is if they changed their interests or just changed their favorite platforms from web to social media

My question is : do you know of any channels on Instagram or other social media that is of ETS caliber; discussing prep stuff in calm & friendly atmosphere ??

#293136 - 08/29/19 12:33 PM Re: Social Media [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For myself, I’ve been finding that I prefer to spend less time on social media, and more time on fora. But that’s me, YMMV.

#293139 - 08/29/19 01:08 PM Re: Social Media [Re: Chisel]
Janysboy Offline
Journeyman

I check ETS several times daily. I almost never post because I 'm looking for information.

#293144 - 08/29/19 01:31 PM Re: Social Media [Re: Chisel]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I wouldn't know - I don't use Facebook, never sent or looked at a twit or tweek or whatever they're called, and know nothing about Instagram other than there are people there who label themselves "influences" instead of getting a real job. And what the heck is Snapchat?

When I have spare time, I use it to read, play piano, or nap. You know, fun stuff, ... not hunched over a cellphone staring at a screen full of social-who-knows-what.

#293163 - 08/30/19 05:05 AM Re: Social Media [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Nope, my mileage is the same. LOL . But locally and all over Earth , it seems forums are dying. I had no choice but have a look into social media. It depends where you look. Some of it is good, much of it is waste of time.

#293164 - 08/30/19 05:16 AM Re: Social Media [Re: haertig]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I was the last of my family, or actually whole neighborhood, to get into social media. But some of it is good. One example is a page started by a good guy from my home town. The page was focused on saving old pictures that contains much of our heritage. It encouraged many people to bring out their old collections that would have otherwise been buried with them, so to speak. Even being old myself, I saw pictures I never thought existed.

Also, it was an immense relief for me cuz I had old pictures and no one cared about them. I was worried where they would end up after me. So, I uploaded those pictures and wrote several articles explaining them. Many people appreciated the pictures and info. One guy almost came out of the screen hugging and kissing me , LOL, because I showed several pictures of his late uncle who had no kids and no one in their extended family had any pictures of him. He worked for my grandfather and we had several pictures of him working.

So, social media is not all that bad. In addition, I read a few words here and there that prepper families are using social media to get in touch in case of wide spread disasters.

#293165 - 08/30/19 05:38 AM Re: Social Media [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I don't use facebook or any of those; my only social media is forums. True, activity here is somewhat sparse and the pace is glacial but I still love ETS! I visit several times per day. There are a few forums that seem to still be thriving. We're in a bit of a downturn but I feel an obituary is premature.

#293168 - 08/30/19 01:42 PM Re: Social Media [Re: Phaedrus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Same here — no facebook, no snapchat, no linkedin — glacial in not necessarily a bad thing.
When I’m out and about you can spot me because I’m the one not bent over looking at my smartphone. If I carry a phone at all it’s my dumbphone in airplane mode. If something comes up I can call out, otherwise I don’t want to be bothered. My smartphone stays on my desk receiving the occasional text and ready to tell me there are no voice mails cool

#293169 - 08/30/19 02:05 PM Re: Social Media [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Well, here is my 2¢ on social media platforms

I tried snapchat maybe 2 years ago. I didn't like the idea of "rush to see the video before it is deleted". You tube had almost every video I need without the need to rush or else...
Plus , most material I saw was not really my type

So, I deleted Snapchat and still convinced it is not for me

Facebook and Twitter
I did try them for a while cuz I met great people in subjects that I liked, but eventually didn't have enough time for all

Instagram and Pinterest
I think they are cool. I believe some folks here may like them. Just focus your time on your favorite subjects like prepping, and forget the rest.

Try Pinterest, just for a while

LinkedIn.
This one is focused on professional folks like engineers and accountants ..etc. and people looking for jobs in those fields. Not really "social", at least in theory. I visit it a few times a week, since two of my kids are looking for jobs , plus I want to keep in touch with the professional world.

Smartphone...
My smartphone is used as dumb-phone ( call & messaging ) + personal assistant ( calculator, translating, unit conversion , and such. Social media stays at home in a mini-tablet. The screen of a smartphone is just not big enough for my poor eyes to read. Plus I don't want to be e-socializing all the time.

#293171 - 08/30/19 02:52 PM Re: Social Media [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm very grateful for the community we have here on ETS. Thank you all for making it what it is.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.