The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#292954 - 08/15/19 01:09 PM Echo-Sigma Backpacks
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Does anyone know if a third party makes the following backpacks or does Echo-Sigma make them inhouse?

https://echo-sigma.com/collections/backpacks-bags/products/echo-sigma-get-home-pack
https://echo-sigma.com/collections/backpacks-bags/products/echo-sigma-bug-out-pack

Also, is anyone familiar with the quality of these bags?

Jeanette Isabelle

#292956 - 08/15/19 01:40 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I do not know, but I can provide you with an informed speculation. Very few sellers of packs make them in-house -- almost all of them use contract manufacturers, almost all of those outside the United States.

It is telling that their website does not state that they make the packs themselves.

#292957 - 08/15/19 01:46 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

These are a common design and are marketed under many labels.

#292958 - 08/15/19 02:38 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

The Get Home Pack looks almost identical to the Condor 126 Compact Assault Pack. The only difference I see is the back. Condor may have changed that. Is anyone able to confirm this?

https://condoroutdoor.com/126-compact-assault-pack.html

Does anyone have experience with Condor? I've heard about them; as a city gal, that is all I know.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292959 - 08/15/19 05:21 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Mostly mall ninja gear. Rather small capacity for any significant use beyond casual day hikes.

#292960 - 08/15/19 05:24 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Montanero
These are a common design and are marketed under many labels.

And while I do not know for sure, I suspect that a number of different factories make packs of this design.

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Does anyone have experience with Condor? I've heard about them; as a city gal, that is all I know.

I've never owned any of their gear. What I hear is that they're good, but not great.

#292966 - 08/15/19 08:01 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Mostly mall ninja gear. Rather small capacity for any significant use beyond casual day hikes.

This forum, in general, has been knocking pre-made 72 Hour kits. I decided to look into customizing a kit and considered one of those two bags. I also looked at other bags such as the Velox II by 3V Gear.

https://3vgear.com/3vgear-velox-ii-tactical-assault-pack/

Unfortunately, more than one person has experienced the same problem of stitching coming undone.

I looked at Maxpedition; their bags cost more than the $200 Uncharted bag and insert that members of this forum had trashed for being too expensive.

What bag does this forum recommend for a 72 Hour kit?

Jeanette Isabelle

#292967 - 08/15/19 08:42 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I like the REI Co-op Ruckpack 28 Pack. 210-denier ripstop nylon — 2 lb. 11 oz. empty. It’s designed well for organization of small essentials and has two exterior water bottle pockets. The right side opens to a small essentials compartment and the left side opens to access the main compartment which can also be accessed from the top. In the top there is a small compartment for other items you may need without having to search through the bag. A tethered raincover stows in a pocket at the bottom of the bag.

I got mine during one of REI’s sales so it was way less than the sticker price.

If 1700 ci is too small, there’s also a Ruckpack 40. The Ruckpack 28 is uni-sex, for the 40 you’ll need to choose M or W wink

BTW, there’s no reason to go tactical in a GHB or BOB. I have a couple Maxpedition bags here and besides price, the empty bags are just too heavy. The bags are for walking/hiking, not going into combat.

#292968 - 08/15/19 10:15 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Like Russ, i am an REI fan (and have been for about fifty-five years). They sell good equipment for the most part, and they carry an extensive line of packs and backpacks, all of good quality and reliability.

The most important feature of any backpack is that it fits its wearer properly. This is best determined by an in-store fitting, with a load typical of that contemplated in both volume and weight. Usually the most important variable is your torso length.

Volume can be tricky. How long a trip, in what conditions, is contemplated? One carries different items in Wisconsin in January, compared to Arizona in August.

My closest experience to maintaining a BOB was building a backpack set up so that I could respond quickly to SAR operations. In Arizona, it required regular adjustment for seasonal and altitude changes. For that purpose, a backpack of about 4000 cubic inches was quite satisfactory, fine for about 72 hours of fieldwork. YMMV!!

It is probably better to have a pack that is a too much volume, rather than one that is too small. But fit is critical!

There are a lot of quality packs out there, sold in many different establishments. There are often frequent sales, and some stores will rent packs so that you can give them a try.

I heartily agree that a BOB need not be tactical (much hyped term, beloved by marketers).

"If the pack fits, wear it..."

#292969 - 08/16/19 01:12 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

I've had good fortune with Goruck, Alpha One Niner, and VertX. None of them are inexpensive.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.