Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#293084 - 08/23/19 02:48 AM Search for missing firefighters suspended
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
A very sad case; it looks like the search for the two missing firefighters lost at sea a few days ago has been suspended. A couple days ago a tackle box was found but with no better idea where to search as the days drag on the odds of recover are poor. Some Coast Guard assets will still be in the area but the formal search is being suspended.

I have to wonder if a PLB might have saved them? Hard to say what happened to them but a beacon would at least give searchers an idea where to begin.

#293085 - 08/23/19 03:40 AM Re: Search for missing firefighters suspended [Re: Phaedrus]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Survival at Sea
#1 Floatation (Life Vest - PFD)
#2 PLB or SEND

1+2=Survival
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#293086 - 08/23/19 04:55 AM Re: Search for missing firefighters suspended [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
As is the norm, the media doesn't have very complete information. Being firefighters one might ass/u/me they would be well versed in safety equipment. I have no idea what they had along, probably we will never find out. While the search has been suspended I do hope against hope that they're found alive and well.

#293090 - 08/23/19 04:29 PM Re: Search for missing firefighters suspended [Re: Phaedrus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Survival at Sea
#1 Floatation (Life Vest - PFD)
#2 PLB or SEND

1+2=Survival

Exactly. My aviation survival (PFD) vest has a dedicated pouch for the PLB. It was also equipped with a Marine VHF radio, laser flare, strobe light, signal mirror and a whistle.

30 miles off shore in the relatively warm gulf stream is still 30 miles off shore.

I got the idea to include a Marine VHF radio after reading a post here about a guy fishing in the gulf one minute and then suddenly in the water surrounded by stuff that had been in his boat. Fortunately his VHF radio was part of the stuff in the water and he was able to contact another fishing boat on Ch.16. IIRC he used a cooler for flotation.

#293095 - 08/23/19 07:10 PM Re: Search for missing firefighters suspended [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I am strongly in favor of the Marine VHF radio to go with the PLB. Among other things, being able to contact your rescuers when they’re close might make things a lot better and safer for both you and them. The strobe and signal mirror also make a lot of sense, and a whistle is too easy to carry to not always have one.

Do I remember correctly that laser flares are recommended against by the Coast Guard?

#293096 - 08/23/19 08:08 PM Re: Search for missing firefighters suspended [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
... Do I remember correctly that laser flares are recommended against by the Coast Guard?
First I’ve heard, though I can understand the green lasers being a big negative. Green lasers and aircraft at night is a bad mix. Mine’s red.

#293097 - 08/23/19 08:43 PM Re: Search for missing firefighters suspended [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I thought I'd read something to that effect here, but I didn't find it. What I've found so far elsewhere is inconclusive.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.