Topic Options
#292992 - 08/17/19 02:27 AM Re: Bug Out Bag Contents [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If you buy the stove you indicate, it already includes a pot/cup and the one you list would be unnecessary...

Certainly a valid statement. Since the cup takes up no additional space (comfortable fits over the water bottle) and we have to consider a possibility of the stove being used by more than one person, why not include it?

Originally Posted By: hikermor
There are stoves available that are much hotter. lighter, and more efficient than that stove, however, since I take it that you need a sterno fuel can.

I like the fact that this stove can be used indoors. Also, Mom has expressed her concern with storing gas canisters.

Jeanette Isabelle

Any flame, including sterno cans, is a potential source of carbon monoxide. If the users are attentive, and the space is decently ventilated, there is little problem. I have often used camping stoves of various brands inside cabins etc. with no problems. one does need to alert to the potential dangers of carbon monoxide.

In a bugout situation, I would save weight and share a cup. This is not High Tea with royalty.

Speaking of weight, if there is concern with isobutane fuel canisters, consider an alcohol stove. Buy one - Trangia is a common, dependable brand, or make one from an aluminum can. They will burn alcohol, including high proof booze or even the alcohol based hand cleaner in your FAK(like Purell). Alcohol is much hotter per unit weight than sterno,which takes a long time to cook anything.

For the last twenty years, I have used an MSR Pocket Rocket (weight 3 oz) with isobutane canisters and been quite satisfied. I have had no problems with the canisters nor have I heard of any. Any fuel, even wood, must be handled properly, with due regard for safety. Otherwise, learn to live on raisins, peanuts, and cold instant coffee (Horrors...)

#292995 - 08/17/19 03:30 AM Re: Bug Out Bag Contents [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I really want to get an MSR Windburner! Amazon had them for $102 for a while, really kicking myself I didn't jump on it. Now they're back to $150 again.

Personally I really like the nesting cups. I know; ounces make pounds and it adds up. But with an extra cup (especially a 25oz nesting cup with a lid- I'm specifically thinking of the DZO mug) you can cook, boil or move more water or even make charred material! To me a nesting cup on each bottle is worth the extra pound or so of weight.

#293004 - 08/17/19 01:27 PM Re: Bug Out Bag Contents [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The MSR PocketRocket is a great stove imo. Enough BTU’s to cook and it can be turned down to simmer. Great control for a small stove. You can pick on up at the Winter Park, FL REI today while you’re shopping for a decent backpack. wink.

#293006 - 08/17/19 01:48 PM Re: Bug Out Bag Contents [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I may get the backpack from Woot. As for the stove, I need something to heat water for my coffee, can be used indoors and does not use gas canisters.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293008 - 08/17/19 01:58 PM Re: Bug Out Bag Contents [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Get an alcohol stove -Trangia or equivalent is a good bet.

Another option would be Esbit tablets, often offered with a stand that supports a pan, although such can be easily improvised.

Edited by hikermor (08/17/19 02:03 PM)

#293009 - 08/17/19 02:44 PM Re: Bug Out Bag Contents [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I have used a butane stove in the kitchen here during neighborhood/area blackouts with no ill effects. I normally have a window partially open, so my CO detector has not been concerned.

I have a stainless steel Gas ONE model that boils water faster than the electric stove top, good single burner stove — no issues. At least a couple Iwatani models seem to be professional grade. These butane stoves have similar designs; imo it’s about build quality and burner output.

I prefer the full size version of these stoves. The mini’s have an issue with hot pans extending over the fuel canister compartment which is not a good thing.

#293010 - 08/17/19 05:27 PM Re: Bug Out Bag Contents [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Those can be used indoors; again, Mom does not want to store gas canisters.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293011 - 08/17/19 07:15 PM Re: Bug Out Bag Contents [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Yeah, issues with fuel storage notwithstanding, butane stoves are still a good option for power outages.

#293034 - 08/18/19 01:49 PM Re: Bug Out Bag Contents [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

If you have all your survival items (sans backpack) in a large box or storage container from HomeDepot, you have a lot of gear and life is great.

How much can you carry? One trip or multiple trips? Can you walk miles without a pack? How about with a pack and all the gear it carries? I’ve seen a few folks with lots of gear who can’t walk to the local shopping center. On one of my walks here I pass by two shopping centers and neighbors are like, “You walked there??” (Then again, one of the neighbors could run that route and cut my time in half, but he’s half my age...) Point of this being, get your mode of transport ready. If you have a BOB, be prepared to carry it the distance.

The BOB is for that one trip. You need to pare the gear in your large container down so that your final reduced gear list will fit in a backpack that you can actually carry — volume and weight. Are all the bases covered? Oh, yeah, that great FAK that would outfit a hospital ER won’t be included and those Mag-lites? Fuggetaboutit...

This is why my BOB is a truck. I have a GHB in the truck, but it’s for a one way trip home and I’ll leave a lot of gear in the truck. If you have a prepared bug-out location and you can store stuff there, your BOB can be a lot smaller than you think.

My bug-out location is a two day drive so if I don’t leave early, I don’t leave at all — bugging in.

#293041 - 08/18/19 04:35 PM Re: Bug Out Bag Contents [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Right on! The size and contents of your BOB will be dictated by your circumstances, especially distance to your destination. One does have a destination, right? Otherwise you are a refugee, homeless and destitute....

Ideally, i would start out in a well equipped vehicle, but if circumstances denied use of that vehicle, we pare down to backpacks and start walking.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 252 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.