#293042 - 08/18/19 05:22 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
We are really talking past one another.

?

What you will learn by buying this kit is that you will have wasted your money.

One thing I learned is that it takes money to learn. Something else I learned is don't go cheap while learning. Otherwise, I will spend more in the long run.

I don't consider that wasting money. Sure, I may think that at first after everything is said and done; in every situation, I recognized I would not have learned how to do it right any other way had I not spent the money on my education. Let me say this again, when doing something new for the first time, don't go cheap.

This assemblage lacks many critical items (map?compass?) and includes many that are ineffective (hand warmers and chem lights).

As for a compass among other things, that is the purpose of the PSP. As for a map, that is a very geographic specific item and it will change.

As for light sticks, others, besides myself, have vouched for them.

The best way to test whatever you start with is to get out an use it. Start with day hies, lengthen them and get into overnight and longer backpacking trips.

You're beginning to describe my EDC bag. I built it when I lived in Dallas when an unexpected overnighter was the norm. Sometimes I would be in a house without electricity, running water or when we drove to Malissa's house, we had neither.

For post graduate work, volunteer with a SAR unit and get first hand experience with realemergencies.

In case you forgot, I have to be medicated if I have to be in a car for more than a few miles.

End of rant, I will say no more...

What rant?

Jeanette Isabelle

#293043 - 08/18/19 05:48 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The PSP compass was selected for size, not utility. It’s good for a button compass and might keep you walking in a somewhat straight line, but it’s not really adequate for orienteering/navigation. A real compass such as the Suunto M-3D will serve much better for navigation. That’s just one example, The Compass Store has a good selection.

#293044 - 08/18/19 05:56 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

If I think I will need a real compass, I will include that too.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293114 - 08/27/19 11:39 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I received the contents yesterday and the pack today. After assembling the kit, I had less space than what I had expected. Perhaps with rearranging, I can get the stove to fit.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293122 - 08/28/19 01:45 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I ordered a County Comm Bail Out Bag, Gen 8 this morning. My arithmetic indicates the bag is 1386 ci not counting the end pockets and the admin section. It looks to be well thought out and IME County Comm nylon bags are very well built, good materials and strong. There’s a video walk-thru of the bag at the link above.

#293124 - 08/28/19 02:37 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I've been eyeballing that bag since last night, Russ. I have had two of their previous-gen bags and they're both great.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.