Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#293027 - 08/18/19 11:28 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
Something you may have considered is whether or not the backpak will be carried or is simply carry-able.

Carriable unless, for whatever the reason, we need to ditch the car and walk the rest of the distance.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293028 - 08/18/19 11:55 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Just for starters, I would ditch the Chem lights and the hand warmers, as well as the silly AMK kit.

The things you listed are what's included in the Quick Pack Contents.

Perhaps I am not making myself clear. The purpose of this kit is to learn how to make survival kits.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293029 - 08/18/19 12:32 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have been using recycled beverage bottles , along with Nalgenes and various other water containers, including some stainless steel types, for years. I have never had a G bottle fail, even with extensive use.

Nalgenes are definitely tougher, but if durability is a real issue, one should probably go to stainless steel. The optimum water container is probably a collapsible unit (Platypus or equivalent) which takes up minimum space when not filled. i have not had any failures of those, either.

Any of these water containers should be placed in a metal cup, capacity 8 to 12 oz, and carried in an exterior pocket. Go titanium if your budget allows, but stainless steel is perfectly good (and better for cooking).

Plastics are pervasive in our environment, and constitute a definite problem, but I don't think recycling bottles will affect the situation one wa or another. The percentage of fluids I ingestfrom recycled bottlesis insignificant.

#293030 - 08/18/19 12:47 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

Perhaps I am not making myself clear. The purpose of this kit is to learn how to make survival kits.

Jeanette Isabelle

How is the purchase of a marginal, highly generalized bag of goodies going to teach anyone anything? Their web page, showing the contents, is a useful starting point for improvements and modifications to fit individual circumstances.

Here's a thought: What does one do if an emergency strikes and the handy dandy survival kit is not available (meteor strike, theft, whatever). It comes down to the ability to improvise and problem solve.

#293031 - 08/18/19 12:49 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
FWIW, Maxpedition is having a 50% off Sale on the Riftcore and Falcon II. Those may be a bit small for your needs.

#293032 - 08/18/19 12:50 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

If possible, could you give a reference to the article? Sounds like an interesting read.

#293033 - 08/18/19 01:12 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Someone else has already figured it out for me.

Mom did build a car kit. And while I did make suggestions on what to include, Mom made the final decision on what and what not to include. The kit looks like it was built by someone with no experience, no consideration was given concerning space and weight and I am not thrilled with some of the components.

Here's a thought: What does one do if an emergency strikes and the handy dandy survival kit is not available (meteor strike, theft, whatever). It comes down to the ability to improvise and problem solve.

Hopefully, by then I learned how to build a survival kit.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293036 - 08/18/19 02:20 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

If you are building something to fit in a vehicle, space and weight are fairly minor considerations.

In any event, assembling a survival kit is an ongoing process, building on user experience and incorporating new items as they appear. I continually tweaked my SAR bag as time went on and got it to a pretty reasonable state. Then it was stolen, and I got to start all over again. But at least insurance covered most of the cost.

You can't just buy stuff, put it in a bag, and forget it. ideally you will have familiarity with items in your kit and know how they perform. An emergency is not the time to be reading the manual for the first time.

#293038 - 08/18/19 02:50 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

If you are building something to fit in a vehicle, space and weight are fairly minor considerations.

If it were just for the car, weight is not an issue. Size may to some degree; not weight.

If we had to ditch the car weight then becomes an issue.

In any event, assembling a survival kit is an ongoing process, building on user experience and incorporating new items as they appear. I continually tweaked my SAR bag as time went on and got it to a pretty reasonable state.

That is how my EDC bag came to be.

You can't just buy stuff, put it in a bag, and forget it. Ideally, you will have familiarity with items in your kit and know how they perform. An emergency is not the time to be reading the manual for the first time.

I know. The point of the proposed kit is to have something I can learn.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293040 - 08/18/19 04:25 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

We are really talking past one another.

What you will learn by buying this kit is that you will have wasted your money. This assemblage lacks many critical items (map?compass?) and includes many that are ineffective (hand warmers and chem lights). Walk into any decent outdoor store, put on a blindfold, select at random, and you will do as well as this hodge podge.

The best way to test whatever you start with is to get out an use it. Start with day hies, lengthen them and get into overnight and longer backpacking trips. For post graduate work, volunteer with a SAR unit and get first hand experience with realemergencies.

End of rant, I will say no more...

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.