Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#292970 - 08/16/19 01:35 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Durable will cost more, cheap will not last, but there can be a happy medium. The military style packs have many attachment points which can be practical, but they do not carry as well as the good civilian ones. It really all depends on you, your environment and what you you will carry in it and for how far. Something to keep in a car trunk that will not be used for extensive hiking leans toward the military style. Not too expensive, will work, and are versatile. Something that you will be hiking with over long distances will require a well fitting pack. It is all dependent on your needs.

#292971 - 08/16/19 01:53 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
On that note, there’s an REI at 430 Orlando Ave in Winter Park, FL. If you should find yourself there, go in and try on some packs. Gregory, Osprey, REI Co-op ... there are a lot of good packs available. It’s much better to put one on and walk around the store than it is to buy an unknown pack from some retailer on the internet.

FWIW, $.02

#292973 - 08/16/19 04:53 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The packs you posted the link to are unknown to me but they do look like the generic Chinese packs you see branded with dozens of different company names. My suspicion is that the build quality is lowish and variable. I have a lot of different small Chinese bags and pouches; they seem to vary a lot in quality not just by brand name but from batch to batch. I've been pleased with cheap pouches only to reorder the same thing and get really junky ones.

IMO Condor gear is decent but not great. They (along with many other companies) seem to look at whatever Maxpedition releases and more or less copy it with a lower level of worksmanship. Maxpedition is somewhat expensive and also made offshore (Viet Nam? ) but their products exhibit very high quality in both craftsmanship and materials.

However, one thing all of them seem to have in common- from the Maxpedition and Condor packs down to the ones linked in the OP- is very poor suspensions. It seems they're basically bags with straps grafted on as an afterthought. I have a couple of Maxpedtion packs and while the quality is outstanding the design of the suspension could use some work.

Personally I like hiking/backpacking type packs more than military style packs. While I like having a bit of PALS webbing/MOLLE to attach a few items to I have found that packs marketed for hiking seem to carry the load better. The packs I tend to carry the most are Mystery Ranch but there are lots of great makers.

#292978 - 08/16/19 06:20 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Check on Woot.com, they have some Maxpedition packs for $50-$60.

#292979 - 08/16/19 08:38 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: gonewiththewind]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, Woot has some good deals right now.

#292991 - 08/16/19 11:07 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Woot has sold out.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292994 - 08/17/19 03:28 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Drats! Well, they do get Maxpedition stuff pretty regularly so it pays to check once and a while. They do make great stuff! I have a Pygmy Falcon I don't really need but it's probably too small for what you need.

#292997 - 08/17/19 06:06 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Woot has sold out.

Jeanette Isabelle

Actually, they still have Vulture-II and Condor-II packs, they're just in the 'Garage Sale' section instead of Outdoors.

#293000 - 08/17/19 09:03 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Phaedrus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Actually, they still have Vulture-II and Condor-II packs, they're just in the 'Garage Sale' section instead of Outdoors.

Thanks. I hope it's still there after the Sabbath.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293002 - 08/17/19 12:45 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
rI have a Vulture II and there are better packs out there. Rather heavy for its capacity and not all that comfortable. 3 stars out of 5...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.